Entry Level DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog988

Jan 6, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
hi,

i am not new but i going to invest in a DSLR camera..

i more of a sports person and i be using it for a lot of action shots.. my starting budget maybe $800+/- ...

anyone can help me or recommend me a good entry level DSLR?

Perhaps a 350D @ BnS section? 800++ is rather tough to get a canon or nikon. But Pentax would surely fit the bill. :)

As for sports, I believe many would recommend Canon.

I seriously think your budget would not be enough for a DSLR kit that covers sports photography.

But firstly, What kind of sports are you shooting? Indoor? Outdoor? What kind of zoom do you need? 70mm? 100mm? 200mm? How fast is fast-action? How many frames-per-second would you need? Would 3 fps be enough?

If 3fps is enough, I reccommend that you buy a 2nd hand 300D/350D for around 600 to 700 dollars. Then get an EF-S 55-250 IS, which is about 360 for a new copy, 300 2nd hand. If you're shooting indoor, you might need a flash.

Don't forget you will still need CF cards, a dry cabinet, and a camera bag. (The bare necessities in terms of accessories)

Hi bro, for $800, you can get a 2nd hand body without any problem but to take fast action stuff, you would need a high speed lens which will cost more than $800. Perhaps you would like to save up a bit more first.

You could start with a brand new decent dSLR like the Nikon d40 with a kit lens for $870

I'm going to guess... 2nd hand 400d plus a 50mm 1.8? Must move very close though.

I'm going to guess... 2nd hand 400d plus a 50mm 1.8? Must move very close though.

50mm is definitely a horrible lens for sports unless he's only covering table tennis and can sit 2 meters from the table.

hi,

i am not new but i going to invest in a DSLR camera..

i more of a sports person and i be using it for a lot of action shots.. my starting budget maybe $800+/- ...

anyone can help me or recommend me a good entry level DSLR?

Your budget is too low for any decent sports photography.

With sports, you are looking at high shutter speeds and to do so, you'd need fast lenses which are not cheap in the first place. Also in order to achieve such high shutter speeds with a good DOF, you'd need a high ISO capable camera to get such results.

So sports wise, I dun think you'd be able to get anything at such a low budget. You'd need at least a pro-sumer level of DSLR, (Nikon would be at least D200 and above and Canon would be 30D or 40D and above)

Lenses would depend on where you are shooting, indoors would be something of say 70-200 f2.8 type, outdoors you may need a longer lens to reach the sports... and these are not cheap.

for low cost setup fast enough for action shot
get a 2nd hand canon 20D or 30D....at that price point.
no other brands came close

50mm is definitely a horrible lens for sports unless he's only covering table tennis and can sit 2 meters from the table.

hahahs... for that price... thats what you can buy mahs..

I suppose, crop the photo like heck lors. lol

i wonder if anyone shoot sports with film camera? if that is the case, he just need to stretch the bill for a decent 2nd-hand old-model lens with compromise on AF speed.

hi,

Gong Xi Fai Cai!

thanks for all the replies... i appreciate it...

just to be a little more specify.. so i can get the right equipments.. and no over spending...

i mentioned sports photography.. so mostly will be shooting people playing outdoor tennis (dont have many indoor courts here) ... then a little bit of nature.. i like bugs.... flowers and maybe portraits of chiobus... haha..

my friend recommended me getting a nikon d40x or d80 or the canon 400d... and i just saw courts selling d40x @ 1188.. that olympus e410 twin lens kit @ $1299.. are these good deals?

hi,

Gong Xi Fai Cai!

just to be a little more specify.. so i can get the right equipments.. and no over spending...

i mentioned sports photography.. so mostly will be shooting people playing outdoor tennis (dont have many indoor courts here) ... then a little bit of nature.. i like bugs.... flowers and maybe portraits of chiobus... haha..

my friend recommended me getting a nikon d40x or d80 or the canon 400d... and i just saw courts selling d40x @ 1188.. that olympus e410 twin lens kit @ $1299.. are these good deals?

don buy from courts and all these stores y not try going down to cathay photo(penisula plaza) or alan photo(sim lim)??for better deals:D
imho kit lens sucks at doing sports u may wanna consider 17-50mm 2.8 tamron which costs about 600 plus if u are talking about tennis

hi,

Gong Xi Fai Cai!

sports, nature, bugs, portraits, u'll need different lenses.

sports, usu, u'll need fast telephoto lenses
nature, bugs, u'll need a macro lens.
portraits, u can use prime lenses, tele and macros also work well.

guess u shd stick to the kit lens or a walkabout lens since u r on budget. make full use of the kit lens. then when u've saved up enuff money, then decide wad lens to get.

kit lenses have potential as well if u know how to handle them well.

If you wana go with Olympus, you'd probably want the E510 kit rather than the E410. The E510 has image stabilization built into the body, so it helps with handheld shooting. Do note, however, that no amount of in-camera stabilization will reduce blur from fast-moving subjects. That's why people are saying that you'd probably need a fast (and thus expensive) lens for shooting sports. This is especially so if you're talking indoors with dim lighting. For the E510, get the old 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 lens rather than the lighter, newer and slower 40-150mm f4-5.6. Then again, the 800+ budget would be blown ++. 2nd hand cameras would be pretty good in this case.

Just ask yourself whether you're going to lug a dSLR with you. The way I see it, there's no point owning the world's greatest camera and leaving it at home: It's not gona take pics by itself. So make sure you like the feel of the camera, the future lenses you'd want and whether you'd ultimately actually carry it around =p

I didn't bother to read the other suggestions, but here's a tip:

Don't ever, EVER, buy optics from Courts.

I just came back from the Courts Megastore @ Tampines 2 hours ago, and I checked the prices for the bodies / lenses sold.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II @ S$160, instead of the usual S$110 - S$130.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L @ S$1700, instead of the usual S$1000 - S$1100.
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L @ S$1400+, instead of the usual S$1100 - S$1200.

People who buy from there are either dumb, or have just got into photography and couldn't be bothered to do their homework price research.

Or maybe u can get my A100 for 750$ and i'll throw in another lense.
Let me jump ship to A700 soon la:bsmilie::sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.