Entry Level DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatop

Jun 15, 2007
Hi all

Been thinking of getting a DSLR. Never owned one before, so thinking of enlisting the help of fellow forumers here.

What I am looking at is a cheap DSLR. Brand doesnt matter. Reason being I am just starting out. A cheap one for me will do.

Having done abit of research, I have shortlisted a few.

1. Fujifilm S9600
2. Canon EOS 350D
3. Nikon D40
4. Pentax K100D

So any recommendations? :)

S9600 is not a DSLR, it is a prosumer. But it is more advanced than more of the basic prosumers, I guess. Fujifilm's DSLR is expensive, S5Pro or S3Pro are the more current models, and probably way out of your budget.

If you want bang for buck, go for the K100D, along with great colour, good kit lens, shake reduction in-camera, blah blah blah. You can just hop over to the Pentax forums to see the multitudes of praises for this camera along with DPReview and/or Imaging Resource (review sites) which will also praise it happily. The cons would be that the WB is kooky indoors, gives a yellowish cast - but this from experience is easily solved by using custom WB or tungsten WB in-cam. Or using a flash. And of course, the usual Pentax woe of finding it hard to find second-hand lenses and in some cases, first-hand lenses. But this may all change pretty soon. Basically, the K100D is what I use, so that's why I'm pushing it first (at least I'm frank), you can view the links in my signature to see what it is capable of, along with the Pentax picture thread.

D40 has the best image resolution apparently, based on most tests between K100D and D40 - the only 2 remaining prominent 6 MGP DSLRs in the market today, but the difference is minimal and you are also not getting much for your money. Note that the D40 needs to use lenses with built-in AF motors, so that means long-term increased costs if you plan to get more than one lens.

The Canon 350D is also another decent offering, but try it out first. Some people have problems with the handling and light plasticky weight and thus, supposedly inferior build and feel. This is all subjective however. Also, it's not such a current model, so do some reading up before making an informed decision - that's what's important. It is also the most expensive out of the three DSLRs on your list.

My advice is to try out all these cameras at shops. Reading is not much use unless you try it out. All systems have their pros and cons - it's finding out which CONS you can live with, and which PROS you place on the high priority list which will help you outweigh the cons.

1. Fujifilm S9600 [ Is this a DSLR? :think: ]
2. Canon EOS 350D [ If you've got plenty of $$ for upgrades as you'll be easily poisoned ]
3. Nikon D40 [ Decent performer, still you need some $$$ for decent lenses and flash ]
4. Pentax K100D [ If you are on a tight budget, everything's ok except you'll not hav USM/HSM/Supersonic thingy. AF gonna be slower and more noisy ]

Sry, may I ask what is a prosumer and what diff is it from DSLR?

Sry, may I ask what is a prosumer and what diff is it from DSLR?

If you really want to know, read my thread here:

Prosumer vs DSLR

If you just want to have some skimpy surface answer, I can give you one, DSLR can change lens - more versatile, prosumers cannot change lens - fixed lens. Other than that, with exceptions most DSLRs have larger sensors than prosumers so that means better noise control. And I could go on, so if you really DO want to know, follow my thread-flogging advice and read the thread.

basically its a high end compact camera targeted for advance users..

If you really want to know, read my thread here:

Prosumer vs DSLR

If you just want to have some skimpy surface answer, I can give you one, DSLR can change lens - more versatile, prosumers cannot change lens - fixed lens. Other than that, with exceptions most DSLRs have larger sensors than prosumers so that means better noise control. And I could go on, so if you really DO want to know, follow my thread-flogging advice and read the thread.

Thank you night86mare. I have cleared up lots of doubt. Looks like what I was really need is a prosumer. :)

May I add, for SLR-like prosumer, is S9600 the only product in the market?

Thank you night86mare. I have cleared up lots of doubt. Looks like what I was really need is a prosumer. :)

Nada,

Hope the thread linked help you make your decision. No, as mentioned in the thread linked, there are many prosumers available in the market today.

One of the best choices (albeit expensive) you could make is trying to hunt for a Sony R-1, it has the best image quality out of all the DSLRs, possessing a much larger sensor than usual. Of course there will be many here who will spit on Sony, but I have had a good experience using their H2 and have seen great photographs (even macro) being taken by their T series cameras on Flickr.. So take everything you see with a pinch of salt, even what I write.

Other choices;

1) Canon S3 IS, or S5 IS which will be released soon
2) Panny FZ8/FZ50
3) Sony H7/9
4) Fujifilm 6500fd/9600
5) many more, check out the thread once again

There are also many links to DP Review and Imaging Resource reviews if the cameras have them. Of course for the newer models, e.g. Sony H7/9, S5 IS, the review sites haven't come up with anything yet last I checked.. But you can probably base your decision loosely on the earlier models for each individual series, i.e. S5 IS on S3 IS, H7/9 on H2/5. Not the most accurate thing you could do, but it's better than nothing! =)

I thought he already said he is looking for a prosumer? :think:

Why get a prosumer when u can get a DSLR maybe 2nd hand for around the same price and get more bang for bucks. (Larger CCD/CMOS, versatility with many lens options, faster, Live view from mirror (prosumers uses EVF) )

Performance wise a prosumer can never perform up to a DSLR but then again its the photographer who makes the photo most of the time, not the camera.

I recommend a D70- cheap but certain parts and functions imported from all time favourites D100 and D2H. A great bargain and a great start up camera :)

Hope that helps

Why get a prosumer when u can get a DSLR maybe 2nd hand for around the same price and get more bang for bucks. (Larger CCD/CMOS, versatility with many lens options, faster, Live view from mirror (prosumers uses EVF) )

Performance wise a prosumer can never perform up to a DSLR but then again its the photographer who makes the photo most of the time, not the camera.

I recommend a D70- cheap but certain parts and functions imported from all time favourites D100 and D2H. A great bargain and a great start up camera :)

Hope that helps

Hi

I prefer to have a simple and maintenance free camera. Too much of a hassle with DSLR.

Maybe in the future I will consider DSLR, but in the meantime, I think a prosumer is good enough for a begineer like myself. :)

Canon
S2 IS
S3 IS
S5 IS

Fujifilm
S9500
S9600
S6500fd

Panasonic
FZ10
FZ20
FZ30
FZ-50

Olympus
SP550UZ

Sony
H2
H5
H7
H9

Are some of the Prosumer digicams in the market. Some are older models to be found in B&S thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.