Entry Level DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

osmond19

Apr 16, 2003
"Long Hill" town
Visit site
Hi

Have been hearing that the price of DSLR has dropped quite a fair bit as compared to the past... As to Canon and Nikon, which model are their entry level DSLR? Rougly how much do I need to invest in an entry-level DSLR (body + lens + etc...)

Thinking if I wanna buy an entry-level DSLR or "prosumer" camera? The gd thing I think abt DSLR is the usage high iso and the fast speed...

Anyway, my previous faulty camera is Canon A70.

Hi, there are about 3-4 threads like yours every week. Please try checking the priceguide stickies and try searching the forum for the previous threads.

nikon entry level is D40X

how much you want to invest is up to you. Camera + kit lens is the bare minimum
You go explore with those two pieces of equipment first before you start buying anything else.
You won't know what you are lacking until you explore your current piece of equipment throughly first

the usual question: what is ur budget?

~1k --> just get a good prosumer like fuji S9600 or canon s3
~1-2k --> maybe a D50 (2nd hand) with a kit lens (and maybe a cheap tele) to play ard with.
~2++k --> D80 and some good lenses.

Take note that the camera body and lenses are not he only stuff u will need. Among others are the camera bag, dry cabinet, filters, cleaning kit, and blar blar blar... All need $$$.

the usual question: what is ur budget?

~1k --> just get a good prosumer like fuji S9600 or canon s3
~1-2k --> maybe a D50 (2nd hand) with a kit lens (and maybe a cheap tele) to play ard with.
~2++k --> D80 and some good lenses.

Take note that the camera body and lenses are not he only stuff u will need. Among others are the camera bag, dry cabinet, filters, cleaning kit, and blar blar blar... All need $$$.

For ~1-2K I'd suggest Sony Alpha 100 cause it's got spot metering and build in stabilizer which beats Canon 400D and Nikon D4~50 at entry level. The plus point is it's got more promising future (this is little bit of personal preference) as there are new model and lenses coming out in June, so do expect some price drop.

However, you may also take a look at Canon G7 or maybe Richo GX100 (you can get it at Ang Mo Kio Mall level two cam shop). Those two are prosumer cameras targeted at amateurs who are serious at photography and professionals who want a backup camera.

!!! DSLR camera is quite heavy!!!. (this is actually a very important line for those who are not professional. Professionals carry heavy equipment,sometimes up to 10kg, to do their job. Amateurs only want to manifest their creativity and sense of art through photography.

I for one is planning to get a prosumer cam for day activities shooting and my Sony alpha and other accouterments are reserved for heavy shooting situations only. It's best to start with those Canon G7 or Richo GX100 cause they got almost all the functions DSLR has. The only difference is not able to change lenses.

The verdict is equipment is always irrelevant as your skill matters more. Creativity, that's the fun part.

Hi

Have been hearing that the price of DSLR has dropped quite a fair bit as compared to the past... As to Canon and Nikon, which model are their entry level DSLR? Rougly how much do I need to invest in an entry-level DSLR (body + lens + etc...)

Thinking if I wanna buy an entry-level DSLR or "prosumer" camera? The gd thing I think abt DSLR is the usage high iso and the fast speed...

Anyway, my previous faulty camera is Canon A70.
I know you ask about C & N, but have you thought about Olympus? If your demands are high ISO than the E-410 is highly recommended. Definitely beats D40 and 400D. I think there is also a compatibility issue with C & N lenses and entry level cameras. Maybe it is only the D40 that has the problem, I don't know, but having a Nikon D40 does not mean you can use all the Nikon lenses with the camera. Maybe that is not the case with Canon, anyway, definitely not the case with Olympus, since ANY lens made for manual focus film cameras of ANY brand except Canon can be used on ANY E-system cameras. Naturally, ANY lens made for E-system cameras can be used on ANY E-system bodies.

If your intentions are to expand your system later, than IMO it is best to get a good camera body of a brand you believe in and cheaper lens to begin with. That way you can expand. If you get the "wrong" body from the start you may end up having to change everything once you realize the limits of the camera. Another option is to wait with DSLR and just get a good compact one with some powerful high quality lens. Especially if you are not sure how keen you are on lens changing and equipment handling. You can get a very good compact camera and save a lot of money even compared to the cheapest DSLR + 1 lens which is the minimum you need.

For ~1-2K I'd suggest Sony Alpha 100 cause it's got spot metering and build in stabilizer which beats Canon 400D and Nikon D4~50 at entry level. The plus point is it's got more promising future (this is little bit of personal preference) as there are new model and lenses coming out in June, so do expect some price drop.

However, you may also take a look at Canon G7 or maybe Richo GX100 (you can get it at Ang Mo Kio Mall level two cam shop). Those two are prosumer cameras targeted at amateurs who are serious at photography and professionals who want a backup camera.

!!! DSLR camera is quite heavy!!!. (this is actually a very important line for those who are not professional. Professionals carry heavy equipment,sometimes up to 10kg, to do their job. Amateurs only want to manifest their creativity and sense of art through photography.

I for one is planning to get a prosumer cam for day activities shooting and my Sony alpha and other accouterments are reserved for heavy shooting situations only. It's best to start with those Canon G7 or Richo GX100 cause they got almost all the functions DSLR has. The only difference is not able to change lenses.

The verdict is equipment is always irrelevant as your skill matters more. Creativity, that's the fun part.

Think of the system in mind first. Unless you wanna spend money changing systems after systems when you like something else more.

Think of the system in mind first. Unless you wanna spend money changing systems after systems when you like something else more.

CANON G7 and Richo GX100 are strictly point and shoot cameras. Thus buying them won't conflict with the DSLR system one has. And G7 or GX100 can also complement the DSLR one has in hand as a backup camera. It's best to start with those two cameras first before getting to the DSLR world.

DSLR would cost quite a big blackhole. Once one started investing in it there will always be some big dent in one's wallet. DSLR is not just the camera body but also expensive lenses and accessories that most of them cost up to $1000.

So Canon G7 and Richo GX100 is a better choice to start off. Anyway they can always double as backup cam even if one purchase a DSLR at a latter time.

So Canon G7 and Richo GX100 is a better choice to start off.
What's best for one is bad for another. I started with SLR some 35 years ago, never became a pro and still, never regreted the lack of pocket cameras in my life. When I switched from film to digital gone to DSLR at once. In principle I agree, DSLR is a large and expensive step but if a person is sure about the interest for photography than a P & S is never an alternative, a prosumer compact with a good lens is a good start while saving money. I see however no reason why a person could not start with one DSLR body and one single lens. A person starting with limited equipment may learn more about photography than one who has everything. There is no need justify the wanting of a DSLR with anything else than interest in photography and in my opinion, any DSLR is better than any compact. There is no right or wrong way to go. I personally don't have a small camera and never understood people who have both small pocket cameras and DSLR's. By that, I am not saying it is wrong, just that I don't have the need. But yes, if a person thinks changing lenses is a problem or a DSLR is too heavy than a compact is a very good alternative. In that case I think that person made a bad investment in the first place.

Like OlyFlyer, I see nothing wrong with starting and using a kit lens with a kit body.

In fact the young gentleman who bought over my old S3 Pro is using it with a 18-55 kit lens. And from what I saw yesterday, get very impressive pictures out of it. It all boils down to your mindset.
> the fallacy of Better Gear = Better Pictures
> the mindset of Learning
Take your pick. But stick with it. Conscientiously.

Like OlyFlyer, I see nothing wrong with starting and using a kit lens with a kit body.

In fact the young gentleman who bought over my old S3 Pro is using it with a 18-55 kit lens. And from what I saw yesterday, get very impressive pictures out of it. It all boils down to your mindset.
> the fallacy of Better Gear = Better Pictures
> the mindset of Learning
Take your pick. But stick with it. Conscientiously.

Agree! So does threadstarter wants to be a technician or photographer? dslr can be a nightmare (and moneysucker), especially if u just started out....

Agree! So does threadstarter wants to be a technician or photographer? dslr can be a nightmare (and moneysucker), especially if u just started out....
Sure. But DSLR can also give the satisfaction you are looking for, especially if one is prepared to learn. I don't think you have to be a technician to be able to use a DSLR, in fact, I am convinced that the large majority of DSLR users have not much technical knowledge at all. OK, light, aperture, shutter speeds, flash, magnification, field of view, depth of field, focal length and so on, all that has with physics to do, so it does not hurt to have some technical knowledge but you don't need to understand how aperture f-numbers are calculated in relation to focal length or lens diameter to be able to select the one that gives you the effect you want. What is important is the will to learn and a burning desire for photography. If a person does not have that, he/she will never really enjoy a DSLR and maybe better off with a P&S to document some family events in life.

well, it does not pain to be a little technical, but sometimes experience makes up for it anyway. Does David Beckham goes through the trouble to calculate the angle, force, direction etc and other physical factors before delivering each corner kicks?

well, it does not pain to be a little technical, but sometimes experience makes up for it anyway. Does David Beckham goes through the trouble to calculate the angle, force, direction etc and other physical factors before delivering each corner kicks?
Who is David Beckham? :dunno: Kickboxer? :bsmilie:

Anyway, that's what I mean, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to use a DSLR and to be able to take award winning pictures.

CANON G7 and Richo GX100 are strictly point and shoot cameras. Thus buying them won't conflict with the DSLR system one has. And G7 or GX100 can also complement the DSLR one has in hand as a backup camera. It's best to start with those two cameras first before getting to the DSLR world.

DSLR would cost quite a big blackhole. Once one started investing in it there will always be some big dent in one's wallet. DSLR is not just the camera body but also expensive lenses and accessories that most of them cost up to $1000.

So Canon G7 and Richo GX100 is a better choice to start off. Anyway they can always double as backup cam even if one purchase a DSLR at a latter time.

Dude... I was talking about the SLRs of course... :sweat:

Dun forget the first camera you mentioned was the Sony.

thanks for all the comments and advices.

after calculating the costs etc, DSLR might still be a dream n i think i shall kick off slowly wif prosumer camera. I don't wish to spend 1~2k plus after few mths, leaving my expensive "toy" aside and only use it few times a yr when I go on tour.

zooming into prosumer camera, i think S6500fd or S9600 will be a gd choice however, i see more S6500fd users than S9600. Is there a reason? Beside the mega pixel, S6500fd is actually more advanced than S9600 but there is one thing to my dislike... I went down to any of the camera shops in town n wanting to take a closer look at S6500fd and S9600. To my discovery, S6500fd is made in china while S9600 is made in japan.

In the past, I wasn't bother wif where does the camera make from as long as it delivers tat it promised untill my old A70 which is made in malaysia always behaved weird when compared to other compact camera that is made in japan esp when I travel to cold countries, seems like e quality n reliabilities are there (maybe cos of QC?).

I think I still prefer S9600 but wondering when is fujifilm going to release a newer model to replace it so as to keep up with the technology in S6500fd?? If I will to get S9600, most likely I will use and keep it till few yrs down the road till it ends on me juz like A70. For camera, i dun wish to change it so frequent like HP.

Lastly, to my horror surprise, S5700 is made in indonesia....juz wondering how come fujifilm's camera makes their camera from different part of the world n low-end ones really from very "low-end" countries...

Lastly, to my horror surprise, S5700 is made in indonesia....juz wondering how come fujifilm's camera makes their camera from different part of the world n low-end ones really from very "low-end" countries...

Same with "made in china". Cheap labor leads to cheap prices.

I heard the made in China, Indonesia and Thailand is the casing only...electronics and mechanics are all japan made :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.