Enthusiast compact or Budget DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niveot

Apr 24, 2009
Hey All,

I am wondering whether should I get a enthusiast compact or a budget DSLR. I kinda narrow down my choices to the following:
Compact:
Lumix LX-3
Canon G10

Budget DSLR:
Sony A 200
Nikon D60 or D40

Choices are limited as budget is low($800) but I don't mind a second hand DSLR. :)
I would like to get a camera with good quality but I am not sure that I would be a photography enthusiast and I seriously have not much idea of how a DSLR function too.
I would like something with minimal care too. Haha I am just too lazy...
So which 1 should I go for then?

Cheers,
Calvin.

you should go to shops and feel your candidates. The compacts are good for for thier size and weight while the DSLR gives you more control of your picture(with alot of practice) but the weight may deter you from using them. And if you intend to get a DSLR, there are also other accessories to consider like a tripod, filters etc. So your budget will be further constraint.

Just my thoughts (=

Hey All,

I am wondering whether should I get a enthusiast compact or a budget DSLR. I kinda narrow down my choices to the following:
Compact:
Lumix LX-3
Canon G10

Budget DSLR:
Sony A 200
Nikon D60 or D40

Choices are limited as budget is low($800) but I don't mind a second hand DSLR. :)
I would like to get a camera with good quality but I am not sure that I would be a photography enthusiast and I seriously have not much idea of how a DSLR function too.

Cheers,
Calvin.
go for the compact then.

DSLR calls for maximum care for equipment
if you are certain that you would be too lazy, then why burn your money?

may I suggest canon s5is then get the 220ex flash. should be able to fit your budget.

I would go for the compacts...

They're more portable, which allows u to bring it everywhere, meaning more practise.
LX3 and G10 have manual modes that, though not as easily operable as a dSLR, are very useful for your learning process.
If you decide photography isn't your cup of tea, you still have a compact camera for all those occasions. And you wouldn't have invested too much into other accessories. If however, you decide you wanna delve deeper, you can then buy a mid-level dSLR AND still have a compact for the times you don't want to carry a dSLR around.

And at $800 budget, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Get the compact. =)

up to you really i guess. But i got my whole dslr set up under 800, although it was a canon 400d. Here's the rough breakdown of the cost: cam and lens (with 7 months warranty) 650, dry box :15. I've yet to get filters, but they'd cost 30 tops. and i've survived quite well without an external flash. If you want to get a dslr you should check out the bns section. the 2nd hand stuff are normally pretty good deals.

i would think maybe a prosumer?
maybe a canon g10 or LX3 or D-lux 4?
Or if you're unwilling to spend on DSLRs brand new what about a old D50?

Marie

i would recommend a prosumer with a manual zoom ring & focus ring if possible. as for budget if u are willing to wait, & look out for occasional bargains (stock clearance) at large electronic stores. u may just get ur ideal cam.

like FijiFilm S100FS
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms100fs/

or see if Panasonic FZ50 got stock clearance if u dun mind older models?
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

Hey All,

Compact:
Lumix LX-3
Canon G10

Budget DSLR:
Sony A 200
Nikon D60 or D40

Cheers,
Calvin.
Hmm.. Are u ready to learn more about photography? If yes, then I would highly recommend that you get a 2nd hand DSLR body and lens.

A 2nd hand Nikon D50/D70/D70s would cost abt $600 and pair it with a AF 50mm f/1.8D would cost abt $200. Within your budget. If you don't want a prime lens, u can get the AF-S 18-55mm kits lens that some ppl try to offload.

if you're not going to learn abt photography, get the compacts like the Lumix LX-3 and Canon G10.

Hey All,

Compact:
Lumix LX-3
Canon G10

Budget DSLR:
Sony A 200
Nikon D60 or D40

Cheers,
Calvin.

I always recommend DSLR over compact anytime unless size matters to u.

Hey All,

Thanks for the recommendation, but probably I ll stick with the compact now, since I might be overseas for half a year next year and would be nice to carry something light :) So now is down to the two compact I guess. And yea if I don fancy photography I still get a compact at the end of the day :) thats cool.

Thanks!!

Cheers,
Calvin.

Hey All,

Thanks for the recommendation, but probably I ll stick with the compact now, since I might be overseas for half a year next year and would be nice to carry something light :) So now is down to the two compact I guess. And yea if I don fancy photography I still get a compact at the end of the day :) thats cool.

Thanks!!

Cheers,
Calvin.

if thats the case, i would suggest u get simpler, cheaper compact pns

Status
Not open for further replies.