Enter The Dark Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-Von

Jul 12, 2005
pic taken during the recent opening of re-vamped clarke quay

c&c much appreciated. thanks!

clarkequay175testwithframe6hy.jpg

his smack-centre drumset looks really ugly. it's stealing attention from an otherwise neat play of light.

Overall I think this is an awesome image. The percussionist looks devilish... captured the mood well for this shot... the slight problem would be the composition as mentioned, but then again, if you moved away to recompose you might not get the light and subject combination as you have captured in this image. Good one. I like it...

the lighting is interesting but i don't feel any energy from the drummer. other than the interesting lighting i see this image as being rather lifeless.

take off the blue tinge on the drum in front. i think will further perfects it.

Yup, no energy. First impression was someone selling tea-tarik or a mama selling fresh hot milk in the early morning and not a drummer.

Focus was on the wrong spot (the metal stuff in foreground). Also maybe some motion blurr to create that energy. But I don't really know whether there is better way than this subject and moment to convey whatever your impressions you felt that night.

Maybe it is just shoot and see what turns out. ;)

I think the light was cool. Nice shot overall.

Though I agree that I didn't quite feel the energy. I did not know that the guy was a drummer, until closer inspection. Guess it all depends on the intent of our shot. Maybe you can tell us what you were trying to do?

I thought rules are meant to be broken ? So I wonder why everybody keeps on mentioning about where the subject is suppose to be here and in also in many other postings. May be I am not blessed with artistic talent to view the photo critically, hence the comment.

singdude said:
I thought rules are meant to be broken ?
If a rule is always to be broken then it is not a rule.

You see not everytime a rule can be broken. It takes the artist in you to know when is such a situation.

And the reason why a rule can be broken, is because a rule does not fully capture the full essence of what is artistic.

So if you merely follow rules then you are a mediocre artist at best. But if you an artist then you set your own rules.

espion said:
So if you merely follow rules then you are a mediocre artist at best. But if you an artist then you set your own rules.

But not without understanding the rules first. ;)

Back to the pic, I thought the lighting was really nice, but the dark shape on the left distracts me.

Status
Not open for further replies.