Enquiry regarding to lens glass.

TWmilkteaTW

May 30, 2011
Hi im a Sony user.. and it has come to my attention that the SAL18200 lens.. DT 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 is so much cheaper than the
E mount 18-200mm F3.5-6.3. Same focal length and F/stop.
Im a Nex user and looking to get 1 of this 18200.

However.. im puzzled. how is the DT costing only $ 700 compared to the E Mount costing at a $ 1 199
thats huge difference in price. Can anyone enlighten and explain to me why?
The only reason i found out was it has OOS. (since nex dont have steadyshot in them)
Any other reason for why its priced almost double?

Last edited:
From $700 to $1199 is 'almost double'? :think: What kind of lens gives you such a perspective? :bsmilie:

one big difference i saw is that:

1) the SEL18200 has a built-in AF Motor, while the SAL18200 is a screwdrive AF (and the SEL18200's AF is very quiet)
2) the SEL18200 has OSS, which calls for more engineering and moving parts. it's more tricky to manufacture. also has more elements due to this
3) if you buy the A-mount adaptor... you're gonna lose fast AF on all your A-Mount lenses you buy. and mind you, only certain SAM and SSM lenses have this AF (albeit slow) capability with the A-mount adaptor. screwdrive AF isn't supported by the NEX.
4) you lose the IS capabilities.
5) the SEL18200 is optimized for video recording. the SAL18200 isn't.

here's my info source

NEX SEL18200
Alpha SAL18200

Hi im a Sony user.. and it has come to my attention that the SAL18200 lens.. DT 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 is so much cheaper than the
E mount 18-200mm F3.5-6.3. Same focal length and F/stop.
Im a Nex user and looking to get 1 of this 18200.

However.. im puzzled. how is the DT costing only $ 700 compared to the E Mount costing at a $ 1 199
thats huge difference in price. Can anyone enlighten and explain to me why?
The only reason i found out was it has OOS. (since nex dont have steadyshot in them)
Any other reason for why its priced almost double?

In addition to everything else already mentioned.... You have a cheap, plastic 18-200 vs. a nice, metal-construction 18-200.

And the A-mount lens will not AF on your NEX.

Hi,

personally I have yet get my hands on SEL18200. But looking at it, you are paying more for the look and construction. plus the I.S build into the lens. the new firmware support AF on A-mount lens but heard is very slow. Well guess is up still up to one to invest in what you think is worth.

the new firmware support AF on A-mount lens but heard is very slow.

Only if it's a SAM/SSM lens. The 18-200 is a screw-driven lens. No AF on the E-mount with adapter.

Only if it's a SAM/SSM lens. The 18-200 is a screw-driven lens. No AF on the E-mount with adapter.
oh... didnt know about this i thought with the v3 firmware all can AF .. alright.
n thanks to all replies.
appreciate them.