Enquiry for charging duration for GP 2700 NiMH rechargeable batt

cadefox

Aug 18, 2010
Sengkang
cadefox.multiply.com
Hi i would like to know the duration time for charging a GP 2700 NiMH batt from zero power to full power by using an Eneloop charger ???
Btw izzzit safe to use a different brand charger to charge on others brand batt ???

Hi i would like to know the duration time for charging a GP 2700 NiMH batt from zero power to full power by using an Eneloop charger ???
Btw izzzit safe to use a different brand charger to charge on others brand batt ???

Yes its safe but timing may be longer than usual as Eneloops are 2000mah while GPs are 2700mah...

This depends on two factors: the charging current, which is measured in milli-ampere (mA) and the capacity (mAh) of your battery.

Assuming that the charging current is the driving speed and the capacity of the battery is the total distance you have to travel. Then the time required to charge up your battery would be

Capacity of battery / charging current X 120%

Usually you inflate the charging time by about 20% for any efficiency loss during charging.

Example:

Battery: 2700mA

Charging current: 1050mA

(2700 divide by 1050)X120%

Answer: 3.08 hours

Last edited:
Yes its safe but timing may be longer than usual as Eneloops are 2000mah while GPs are 2700mah...

Ok thank for the information Cleonbus

This depends on two factors: the charging current, which is measured in milli-ampere (mA) and the capacity (mAh) of your battery.

Assuming that the charging current is the driving speed and the capacity of the battery is the total distance you have to travel. Then the time required to charge up your battery would be

Capacity of battery / charging current X 120%

Usually you inflate the charging time by about 20% for any efficiency loss during charging.

Example:

Battery: 2700mA

Charging current: 1050mA

(2700 divide by 1050)X120%

Answer: 3.08 hours

Hmm Diavonex how i know the charging current of my Eneloop charger ??
btw in the instruction manual for the charger it stated that for the Eneloop Ni-MH AA( typ.2000mAh) the charging time is approximately 10h.

i don understand why a 2700mAh batt require a much shorter time to fully charge ?? Or is it my charger charging current is lesser then 1050 mAh so it require longer charging period ??

Last edited:
Ok thank for the information Cleonbus

Hmm Diavonex how i know the charging current of my Eneloop charger ??
btw in the instruction manual for the charger it stated that for the Eneloop Ni-MH AA( typ.2000mAh) the charging time is approximately 10h.

i don understand why a 2700mAh batt require a much shorter time to fully charge ?? Or is it my charger charging current is lesser then 1050 mAh so it require longer charging period ??

Turn the charger upside down; there's should be a sticker showing the ampere of the charger.

Turn the charger upside down; there's should be a sticker showing the ampere of the charger.

Ok i think i get what you mean but hmm cos my charger show the charging current is from 220 to 280 mA. I should use which valve in the calculation you provided above to find my duration for the batt ??

Last edited:
Ok i think i get what you mean but hmm cos my charger show the charging current is from 220 to 280 mA. I should use which valve in the calculation you provided above to find my duration for the batt ??

(2700 divide by 280)X120%=11.57 hours

o_O ok So for my 2000 mAh rechargeable batt it will need 8 hour to fully charge condition rite ??

Working for my 2000 mAh
(2000/280)x120% = 8.57 hour ----> so is around 8 hr rite ? or need to round up to the nearer whole num so is 9 hour ??

Last edited:
A decent charger will have an indicator light to tell you when the battery is fully charged.

Cos my Eneloop charger does not come with this function so i need to know approximately the duration time for my batt to be fully charge to prevent over charging it )= Btw mani thank for providing me such great information

It's a slow charger. You can charge your GP2700 for 12 hours without any fear of damaging the batteries.

It's the quick charger that you have to worry about.

why don't you get a charger which will cut off when it is fully charged.

I think long run it will save from wasting electricity and the life span of your rechargeable batteries. :)

Fast chargers and slow chargers have their respective merits and demerits. You should choose a charger that meets your performance and cost requirements.

A fast charger delivers speed, but its design is more complicated, and therefore is usually more expensive than a slow charger.

Overcharging can shorten a NiMH battery's cycle life. Hence a well-designed fast charger has to incorporate certain protection mechanisms that prevent the batteries from being overcharged.

These protection mechanisms, ranging from sophisticated voltage detection to temperature monitoring and timer control, can be expensive. Normally a fast charger has to incorporate at least one of these mechanisms. The more mechanisms it has, the better the protection and thus the higher the price.

Therefore, when charging speed is not a priority, it would be more cost effective to select a slow charger, which also gives longer battery service life and enables fuller charge of a battery compared with a fast charger.