enquiries on d.s.l.r cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

han manfrotto

Feb 21, 2008
Central Northside
hye to all....actually im quite confussed about cameras.i dont know which to buy..
coz i started to learn about photography..so.. can help me..??

hye to all....actually im quite confussed about cameras.i dont know which to buy..

If you are free, do join the outings organised by me. Sometimes, it is better to talk face to face than typing over the Internet space.

Since you are new to CS and are interested in getting a DSLR, I'll ask some questions and try my best to give you some advice..

- Do you own any other form of cameras (compact, phone, film)? If yes, what do you normally take pictures of? (Eg categories: candids, landscape, portraits, action)

- What would your starting budget be? (Since this is the Canon forum, the lowest priced camera is the 400D + 18-55mm lens @ ~S$1200. Add in a few much needed accessories (CF storage cards, camera bag etc), and it'll go up to about S$1300 for starters.

- How often do you think you will shoot? I know this is somewhat a redundant / unneeded question, but if you predict that you're only going to bring your camera out once a month, buying very very expensive things just won't be justifiable.

- Do you have large hands? Shaky hands? This is an important question in the ergonomics field, because the current starter camera (400D, going to be overtaken by 450D soon) has a very very small grip, making it a pain to shoot. However, if you buy the BG-E3 battery grip (something I just got on Friday-- It's selling at S$180), you'll have a much more comfortable setup that allows you to put in another battery and shoot / adjust things in portrait orientation mode.

- Are you able to edit images in image-editing software like Photoshop? If you are proficient in / love using Photoshop and have a good artistic eye, you'd benefit a lot with a better (albeit more expensive) DSLR setup.

Alright, a little bit about myself. I recently got into the DSLR photography when my dad decided to purchase a dslr setup for my birthday last year in December. Here's my setup (on the day of purchase):

Canon EOS 400D body (+ 2gb Ultra II CF Card)
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L lens (+ UV & CPL filter)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8II lens (+ UV filter)
Lowepro Primus AW backpack

Set cost was about S$2600 (Because I bought the L lens, backpack and a CPL filter)

...and in the last month, I added the following accessories:

Canon BG-E3 Battery Grip
SanDisk 2GB Ultra II CF Card
3rd-Party (Non Canon brand) Battery
Giotto Rocket Blower cleaning accessory

You'd probably (or definitely) want to start with a triple-digit Canon SLR. That is, the 400D or the 450D (Once it's released). I won't go into comparing either cameras because there are many other comparisons here in the Canon forum already. Both are great cams, but the main important thing is that once the 450D is released, the 400D's price will plunge in a matter of days / weeks. That might be a good time to grab a good deal if you want to wait.

Any more set-up recommendations can only be given if you answer the above questions. I hope this wasn't too long a read for you.

If you have any questions about the 400D or Canon DLSRs in general, you can pm / msn me for a chat =)

Hope this helps!!

You can go to Canon Center at Vivocity. They have lots of camera displays for you to hold on see which cameras are comfortable for our usage. Try to learn more about the lens also.

If you just started learning, then maybe it's not a good time to invest in a DSLR. Best to learn the basics of composition and framing with a PnS camera first.

If your heart is set on a DSLR, there are about 20,000 threads with the exact same question as yours, and the general advice is:

All major manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax) make great DSLRs. What really matters is which camera has the features you need (in-body versus lens-based anti-shake, etc) and most importantly, which one FEELS BEST FOR YOU. In other words, don't expect people to tell you what to buy. You need to make the decision on your own. Feel the cameras, how do you like the ergonomics, does it make sense, does it feel intuitive or confusing, etc.

alternatives,
u can try go for prosumers first, if you want something more pro yet unsure if you are ready to bank in so much in a dSLR,
prosumer is a good choice for starter kit if you want to learn more about photography :D

hope this helps

it's better to try out the handling of different cameras before buying as well. CSC or CP or J316 are some the places with gd cust svc.

Status
Not open for further replies.