Not open for further replies.

cheguthamrin

Jul 14, 2007
2653470669_eed3aaf8e5.jpg

Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 200

I've been taking sunset / sunrise photos for quite a while already, just happy with the sun, the clouds and the horizon. This time, I've added a human element, and I thought it might add some mood to the picture at the moment, something more dramatic. I've boosted the saturation and a little crop, and adjusted the horizon; I've taken this shot at my waist level, without looking thru the viewfinder.

Does it work for you?

nice colours! pandan resevoir right? the 1st time i went there i messed up the postion of the sun :p

would be nice for some fill flash here and more of the track. as i recall its just a lil curve before it goes alllllll the way so i think showing the length would really help the viewr in sensin the distance he has to cover and add more power into your title

nice colours! pandan resevoir right? the 1st time i went there i messed up the postion of the sun :p

would be nice for some fill flash here and more of the track. as i recall its just a lil curve before it goes alllllll the way so i think showing the length would really help the viewr in sensin the distance he has to cover and add more power into your title
1st; thanks for dropping by with your first comment!

Yes its Pandan reservoir.
Its a bit tricky to guess where the sun will set, cos I realise it will set at different points along the horizon depending on the month. Also most likely it will be covered by the flats or the containers along Penjuru Road.

I wouldnt risk using flash, cos I wouldnt want him to know I'm taking his picture. He's already tired; and might just snap at me for taking photo of him; from behind somemore. I'd rather be on the safe side. Its already at the biggest aperture f/5.6 with so much light can pass through. Longer exposure and I might bleach the sky.

I would consider abt the length of the joggin path, but it would mean it had to be landscape mode, at the widest angle, and further from him. Its already at the widest @ 18mm there.

1st; thanks for dropping by with your first comment!

Yes its Pandan reservoir.
Its a bit tricky to guess where the sun will set, cos I realise it will set at different points along the horizon depending on the month. Also most likely it will be covered by the flats or the containers along Penjuru Road.

I wouldnt risk using flash, cos I wouldnt want him to know I'm taking his picture. He's already tired; and might just snap at me for taking photo of him; from behind somemore. I'd rather be on the safe side. Its already at the biggest aperture f/5.6 with so much light can pass through. Longer exposure and I might bleach the sky.

I would consider abt the length of the joggin path, but it would mean it had to be landscape mode, at the widest angle, and further from him. Its already at the widest @ 18mm there.

did u shoot in raw? try bumping up the fill light?

nice colors you got there!
did you edit?

Hmmm TS, did this guy bend down? You know those kind of bends we usually do after runs. with hands on the knees and panting? Now this pic applies to me that a sweaty man is thinking abt something instead of I'am tired, i dun wan to run anymore for the day.

there is an idea here, but execution and perspective are not the best.

the first thing that struck me was that your "leading line" cut the entire frame abruptly with a slash. try to move to make sure the leading line leads *into* somewhere, and continues into the space, rather than cut across and end at the other side. it will end up achieving a negative effect, viewer's eye will follow it out as well.

the pose here looks posed. i am not sure whether it is posed since you mention you did a hipshot, but in any case you want something looking more natural. looking down and emoing seems to be really working against the rest of the picture, and it makes the guy seem really out of place. the disconnection spoils the entire mood.

i also prefer more detail in the shadows, now is too dark for me. also, the space at the top appears pretty stark.

what a beautiful sky though.. sigh. i wish i can always go back to the place where such types of shots were taken and be there.

YOU got me there.
I haent been shooting in RAW. :confused:
Will there be much difference?

you can perhaps retain about one stop more of information compared to jpg.

useful, but you have to make sure you get an optimal exposure nonetheless. use the histogram to judge, rather than what appears on lcd.

nice colors you got there!
did you edit?
Yes, a bit.

Hmmm TS, did this guy bend down? You know those kind of bends we usually do after runs. with hands on the knees and panting? Now this pic applies to me that a sweaty man is thinking abt something instead of I'am tired, i dun wan to run anymore for the day.
I saw him jog slowly then stop to walk slowly. I was walking in his opposite direction. I dont know if he's thinking of something, for sure, but he sure looked tired at that time!

yes

you can recover much much much more data than when it is in JPEG

u should try it next time when u go there and play with the raw files in photoshop
Yes sir, try I will.

there is an idea here, but execution and perspective are not the best.

the first thing that struck me was that your "leading line" cut the entire frame abruptly with a slash. try to move to make sure the leading line leads *into* somewhere, and continues into the space, rather than cut across and end at the other side. it will end up achieving a negative effect, viewer's eye will follow it out as well.

the pose here looks posed. i am not sure whether it is posed since you mention you did a hipshot, but in any case you want something looking more natural. looking down and emoing seems to be really working against the rest of the picture, and it makes the guy seem really out of place. the disconnection spoils the entire mood.

i also prefer more detail in the shadows, now is too dark for me. also, the space at the top appears pretty stark.

what a beautiful sky though.. sigh. i wish i can always go back to the place where such types of shots were taken and be there.

1- thanks for putting in some thoughts into this photo.
2- While the composition had been impromptu; I know there's a lot more that could have been done that I should be looking out for, and I really appreciate your positive comments. At least I learnt and know something about leading lines. Perhaps I should have captured in landscape mode.

Thanks again. :thumbsup: its been very helpful.

According to my experience, fill light doesn't work well with this kind of sunset shots. It will make the foreground look extremely artificial.

Status
Not open for further replies.