enough for a group shot..??

akerue

Aug 10, 2009
SIngAporE
www.flickr.com
Hi seniors, due to lack of funds or rather a shoestring budget. working with at 500bucks
Will the following equipment listed be enough for a group shot arnd 15-20 ppls, most prob outdoors,

2 x Yong Nuo 460(either the first or mark2 version)
2 x 60x60 softbox.
rest of the cash goes to lightstands and triggers

will it be enough or is there any other option that u be kind enough to share.
with my measly budget of $500

thanks...:cool:

mmm i rather use umbrellas if im shooting a big group.

but thats just me..

I agree...A good silver backed umbrella is simple to set up and you will not notice any difference in the shot...not to mention its usually cheaper than the soft box and the silver ones will give about as much light output as the shoot through soft box...My real favorite though is the PLM by P.C.Buff. You can also use simple shoot thru technique with white umbrella...Than you could buy a third flash to put behind the crowd to give a bit of depth to the shot. Also just buy some used stands and a couple of cheap radio poppers.:)

Cheers

www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

imho bro, umbrella would do a better job with that group size. dispersion and spill works for big group. but then again its just my honest opinion...

all da best!

thanks george and eejal for the inputs,

my other main concern will the YN flash be enough or shld i get other brands with higher gn output.

pls correct me if im wrong...

Hi seniors, due to lack of funds or rather a shoestring budget. working with at 500bucks
Will the following equipment listed be enough for a group shot arnd 15-20 ppls, most prob outdoors,

2 x Yong Nuo 460(either the first or mark2 version)
2 x 60x60 softbox.
rest of the cash goes to lightstands and triggers

will it be enough or is there any other option that u be kind enough to share.
with my measly budget of $500

thanks...:cool:

Instead of looking at equipment first, I would suggest nailing down the concept or art direction of the shot.

The look or art direction would determine what sort of equipment one needs, and from there, decide if it's more feasible to purchase entry-level equipment which you could use for many shoots even though you might be limited by the equipment, or possibly spend a lot less and rent a much more capable portable studio flash set and modifiers if it's just one shoot.

At any rate, right now, no one knows what you want/need to achieve, nor do we know what sort of location or lighting conditions you have to face ... and all we're doing is making guesses in the dark based on virtually ... no info.

Another consideration - Working with flash is quite a different experience than working with continuous light. :)

Last edited:
Instead of looking at equipment first, I would suggest nailing down the concept or art direction of the shot.

The look or art direction would determine what sort of equipment one needs, and from there, decide if it's more feasible to purchase entry-level equipment which you could use for many shoots even though you might be limited by the equipment, or possibly spend a lot less and rent a much more capable portable studio flash set and modifiers if it's just one shoot.

At any rate, right now, no one knows what you want/need to achieve, nor do we know what sort of location or lighting conditions you have to face ... and all we're doing is making guesses in the dark based on virtually ... no info.

Another consideration - Working with flash is quite a different experience than working with continuous light. :)

thanks DM for taking ya time to answer.

basically im not doing anything fancy just a simple group shot something similar like in the link below. not asking for the same effect but somethin similar for a simple group shot.
http://www.davidwoof.com/blog/2009/07/13/group-shot-of-the-cast-of-smokey-joes-cafe/
i cant judge the condition for that day, but to my knowledge the setting will be either indooors or maybe at a front porch of a chalet. my bet is most prob at night or mid evening.

reasons for not wanting to rent as i will be using the equipments mentioned for some other projects that is still in the pipelines, even if the projects doesnt follow throu i can still use it for my own personal stuffs,

since most bro here, advice using the umbrella for group shots and most site i managed to dig up also advice using umbrellas, it settle one part of my question.

the other question is will the two YN be enough..?? o

thanks.

Last edited:
thanks george and eejal for the inputs,

my other main concern will the YN flash be enough or shld i get other brands with higher gn output.

pls correct me if im wrong...

:)One nice thing about small flash units is you can always go out and buy more if you find you need more light.. here is a pic of one of my "to go" kits (just add umbrellas and stands)...http://snakephoto.blogspot.com/2009/11/one-of-my-ready-to-go-vivitar-strobe.html

Your question really depends on your available light...(night, Day, Outdoors, indoors, fixed lighting, distance from group, size of group...etc) :think: I guese like the rest of us, just make a decision and stick with it till you master it, wheather its 1 light, 2 lights, 3 lights, 0 lights , reflectors alone etc...

The best way to learn is by doing!

Cheers

P.S. Buying photo equipment is not like choosing a wife, you can buy, sell ,and trade many times till you find what works for you and your budget...Once you get the wife, thats pretty much it for life...Ha Ha...

Last edited:
:)One nice thing about small flash units is you can always go out and buy more if you find you need more light..

Your question really depends on your available light...(night, Day, Outdoors, indoors, fixed lighting, distance from group, size of group...etc) :think: I guese like the rest of us, just make a decision and stick with it till you master it, wheather its 1 light, 2 lights, 3 lights, 0 lights , reflectors alone etc...

The best way to learn is by doing!

Cheers

P.S. Buying photo equipment is not like choosing a wife, you can buy, sell ,and trade many times till you find what works for you and your budget...Once you get the wife, thats pretty much it for life...Ha Ha...

ya right, george and thanks, wish i have a couple of vivitars at my disposal. or maybe few sb900, wishfull thinking.

guess its boils down in making most of what i have and learn to use it.. im still exploring and learning, well my budget speak for it, cant push it further.;p

Last edited: