Enhanced Saturation on D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimcraze

Hi, how many of you actually use the enhanced saturation feature on the D70? The results can turn out very nice at times but can be too reddish on skin tone sometimes.......any solution? Can this problem be corrected without using Nikon capture? what is the best setting for portraits??

thanks in advance!

I usually shoot with enhanced saturation on most of the time (with a custom curve - fujia reala superia is my current favourite) and in colour mode sRGB IIIa, as I mainly shoot landscape, and nature shots, the custom curve gives me good exposure and the colour settings give me great vibrant colour straight out of camera.

However, whenever I shoot portraits - I usually use the in built D70 portrait setting under the development menu - instead of custom (note: this isn't the portrait mode dial - as I like to keep control of the expsoure settings). Quite like the skin tones coming from this setting.

swimcraze: there are custom curves available out on the internet that's free, you can download them and upload using Nikon Capture.

Normally, I'd prefer to leave all possible settings at OFF or NORMAL, these can be adjusted later to the image. :)

swimcraze said:
Hi, how many of you actually use the enhanced saturation feature on the D70? The results can turn out very nice at times but can be too reddish on skin tone sometimes.......any solution? Can this problem be corrected without using Nikon capture? what is the best setting for portraits??

thanks in advance!

Are you shooting in Raw or Jpeg? If you are shooting in raw, you can play around with the WB, colour Sat, colour mode, colour booster, etc to push the colour while maintaining good/acceptable skin tone colour. ;)

F.Y.I. colour mode sRGB IIIa is more meant for landscape (most of the time, not good for human skin tone, as it tend to "redish" the skin).

Take colour mode sRGB I, for general skin tone. ;)

My 2 cents worth of inputs.

scanner said:
F.Y.I. colour mode sRGB IIIa is more meant for landscape (most of the time, not good for human skin tone, as it tend to "redish" the skin).

Take colour mode sRGB I, for general skin tone. ;)

i did just that.....used sRGB1.....i shoot in JPEG.....

swimcraze said:
how do you get this curve? do you need to use nikon capture?

thanks

Hi swimcraze,

I got this curve from here...

http://www.pbase.com/oldskoo1/digital_fuji_superia_reala

and use Nikon Capture to upload it. There's also a custom tone curve designed for portraits called fuji astia and available from here...

http://www.pbase.com/oldskoo1/digital_fuji_astia

I usually use the settings mentioned above for enhanced saturation and colour mode sRGB IIIa and superia reala curve for general use.

As I said, for portraits, I use the in built Portrait settings of the D70 - which automatically chooses sRGB I.

I do it this way for a number of reasons

You can only have one curve loaded at a time, so for general use I keep the settings above and use the in built portrait setting for portraits

It's ideal to have saturation, sharpening and other settings to normal or off and do it in post process, but most of the time I can't be bothered doing much processing and want results straight out of camera. If I was planning on doing any post processing I'd shoot in RAW anyway, and I can change the settings later (but having the settings off can ease the workflow slightly so you don't have to reset options to off or normal etc).

swimcraze said:
thanks gooseberry for the detailed info..... :think: where can i get a copy of Nikon capture? do people sell them off secondhand???? :confused: can i download it off from the net???? :dunno:

Hi swimcraze,

you can download a trial version of nikon capture from http://www.nikon-asia.com and use it to upload your curves.

Status
Not open for further replies.