Englishman praises Singaporean's kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingkor

Dec 18, 2006
A few days ago, I started a thread about a hit and run woman driver and one of the responses was from someone from Hawaii who sounded (maybe quite rightly) quite disillusioned about the Singapore character of not wanting to help others in need, and only willing to stand around and pass comments while waiting for official help to arrive.

Just the other day, an Englishman wrote to the Straits Times about an encounter of his with an extraordinary act of kindness from a Singaporean.

He had just arrived from KL and had withdrawn S$500 from an ATM at the airport.

It was only when he was in a taxi heading towards the city that he realised that he had not taken his money.

Now, where on earth would someone finding cash return it to the rightful owner?

Give it to the authorities anywhere in this region and it will disappear straight away into the government official's (police, airport staff etc.) pocket in a flash.

However, he called the airport and would you believe it, someone had returned the money.

So, Hawaiisg, maybe we are not all rotten like the woman driver.

Have a nice day

So, Hawaiisg, maybe we are not all rotten like the woman driver.

Have a nice day

To use a single incident to define the 'Singapore character' as kind, is the same as using a single incident to describe it as 'only willing to stand around and pass comments while waiting for official help to arrive'. But you know, I don't think that guy intended to make all Singaporeans sound like assholes anyway.

To use a single incident to define the 'Singapore character' as kind, is the same as using a single incident to describe it as 'only willing to stand around and pass comments while waiting for official help to arrive'. But you know, I don't think that guy intended to make all Singaporeans sound like assholes anyway.
The preoccupations for any and all of us to stereotype is amazing.

It is very simple..... ATM has cameras.... no one will dare to take the cash.. See what happens if the cash is on the floor...... End of the day it is just being practical not being kind. Take the money, you report it, the bank checks the camera and guy or girl who takes it get arrested for theft.

Just look at how we never get back out handphones once we lose them, out of 10 phones lost 9 phones are never recovered. The finders choose to keep them.

I had this incident in the Sengkang LRT a couple of months ago: this girl was standing in between a guy and me and suddenly collapsed! I tried to hold the girl with my hands, but she was already sitting on the floor, luckily she was ok, I think low blood sugar levels or so, anyway, asking people to stand up someone stood up, and she could sit.

What I found strange is that the guy next to this girl, was still looking straight ahead, as if nothing has happended, and that during the whole episode, as I was looking at the guy for some help......but no reaction...:-(. Mind you, this guy was stading just next to the girl like 30cm away!

I do find some people here in lifts and such quite timid, when they go inside people normally don't look to each other or stares at the walls, why is that? It seems to me that many guys are like this? Are you so shy? :)

HS

To add: other people were standing for this poor girl, but only after I asked.

As for money leaving behind the TAM, I had the same incident in Japan, but the machine there withdraws the monay back if you don't take it :)

The preoccupations for any and all of us to stereotype is amazing.

as is our ability to generalise :sticktong (joking only hor)

anyway... airport what... might not even be a singaporean who returned it :bsmilie:

I do find some people here in lifts and such quite timid, when they go inside people normally don't look to each other or stares at the walls, why is that? It seems to me that many guys are like this? Are you so shy? :)

HS

hmmmm? when i go inside lift, i dun face the door. me face opposite to it, then i give a big grin at everybody and say "hello!". but dunno why, all of them just alighted at the next floor.:dunno:

hmmmm? when i go inside lift, i dun face the door. me face opposite to it, then i give a big grin at everybody and say "hello!". but dunno why, all of them just alighted at the next floor.:dunno:

you sure you brushed your teeth in the morning?

有一次,有一个30多的女人抱着小孩和他的女佣一起进mrt,那时没有位坐,我就让位给她,结果她没说谢谢也没看, 坐下去, 小孩叫她女佣站着抱 。。。给她气到

simple, just call her auntie, and ask her to let her grand child can sit on her thigh too.

Same situation, last month ???

maybe office people lifts are like that.. haha try going to a lift full of students

Whatever it may be, kind or not, for sure Singaporeans are a cynical lot online who love to place themselves on high pedestals and criticize other people from a perceived personal high moral ground.

That includes me! :)

he he he he he, wanted to say the same thing but you were first! I think he might have eaten to much satay that day.........

HS

no leh, then i tried the second time, but i say nothing. just face at them, and smile.

but they still all got of at the next floor.

hmph, singaporeans just can't take smiling.

no leh, then i tried the second time, but i say nothing. just face at them, and smile.

but they still all got of at the next floor.

hmph, singaporeans just can't take smiling.

well, because they have to get off at the next floor anyway? regardless of whether you smile, don't smile, ate satay, brushed your teeth? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.