England and Scotland (northernmost) in December

Xerith

Mar 15, 2009
Hi, I'm going in harsh winter (only time I'm free), any one have any tips on what areas not to miss, to avoid or what to take note of etc? And I think it's going to rain at least 50% of the time... any one have good advice on what I can do / what gear to bring so that I can still take photos without damaging my camera? Thanks.

Are you going to Inverness?

Yes Inverness and also isle of skye, thurso, wick. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.

I have not been to Isle of Skye as Inverness is cold and windy enough. It is hard to advice you on places outside of the usual touristy spots as it depends on why you are going to such a remote place and mode of transport. To enjoy that part of Scotland and especially in winter, one needs a sense of adventure. Plenty of gloom and doom. Sun sets very early, around three-ish with plenty of grey skies and wind. BUT given luck, plenty of atmospheric photos to be taken.

Better have plenty of warm cloths.

Good luck.

If you're driving take note that the roads will be covered with snow. The worst will be when the roads look as if the roads are cleared off snow. You will face with what's is known as "Black Ice". In open country the force of "Cross Wind" is something you've to handle.

You will find the car doors are stuck, engine cannot start. frosted wind screen, damp interior of car etc...

Should read up on travelling in freezing winter. Also driving under wintery conditions. These conditions would be something you've never handled before.

And Take Care