engadget asks - how would you change the k-7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would give it a full frame sensor :D

End of story.

but then i wouldn't be able to use my da* lenses !! ;)

I would give it a full frame sensor :D

End of story.

?

Nono.

Give it a 1.5 crop sensor with performance high/low ISO performance BETTER than any current full frame sensor.

;)

Just sell the digital medium format at approx USD$2.5-3.5k :D

After jumping from K100D to K7, I've found that the type of photography I do (Land/cityscapes, still life, family shots, portrait) is merely touching the surface of the camera capabilities. I could even do it with a K20D, so I can't think of much to improve on.
In terms of handling, there would be a couple of buttons, I would have like to be re sized or repositioned.
1. Focus Selection switch is too small. Maybe a larger lever or 3 position on-off type switch is better
2. Don't like the lock type dial for mode selection. What was the problem with no lock anyway? I've never accidentally turned this on my K100D
3. Too small metering switch. Just a bigger lever will do.

Of course we could all keep harping on the the holy grail items :
1. FF
2. ISO noise
3. Dynamic range
4. Resolution
5. Faster and better predictive AF (ok...maybe this one is not so 'holy')

For my kind of shooting,
- 14MP (For cropping)
- Higher ISO (For night street shooting)
- Quiet Shutter (Good enough)
- Brighter viewfinder with pre-installed split-screen (Manual focus, naturally)

I am a simple person to please. Oh wait, why am I not investing in a rangefinder for those features? (Oh yeah, because hip shooting burns through shutter actuations like no business. With a low hit rate to boot) ;p

The camera is good enough as it is... no need to change anything... too good they will have problem producing the next better camera... :bsmilie:

they should focus on the flash system...the AF540 can be a lot better lor...
dunno why they keep neglecting this important thing...

The battle field is not Full Frame but rather crop body, look at the new Nikon D300s and to be released Canon 7D both are crop body. These two body now features 100% view finder. So K-7 is up there with the two, I think Pentax now have a winner in the bag.

Canon 7D
http://www.1001noisycameras.com/200...happen-gf1-7d-other-ifa-preannouncements.html

honestly its a tough sell proclaiming k-7 the winner ... 7d has just been announced so no real 'review' yet, but specs wise it definitely has some strong points vs. k-7, such as

18mp
Dual processors
8fps
19 AF points

now you can say that Canon is 'catching up' with Pentax with features like 100% viewfinder, electronic level, etc but k-7 external ergonomics (easy access to manual controls), i think still beats the 50d/7d series.

of course the 7d is also $400 USD more expensive ...

I think the 126 JPG burst is also kinda sweet :)

Not that I'm tempted at all. 18MP? urgh. Unless there's a quantum improvement in high ISO performance - gee.

honestly its a tough sell proclaiming k-7 the winner ... 7d has just been announced so no real 'review' yet, but specs wise it definitely has some strong points vs. k-7, such as

18mp
Dual processors
8fps
19 AF points

now you can say that Canon is 'catching up' with Pentax with features like 100% viewfinder, electronic level, etc but k-7 external ergonomics (easy access to manual controls), i think still beats the 50d/7d series.

of course the 7d is also $400 USD more expensive ...

For me, it's the size. All other semi-pro class DSLRs aspires to FF size; they're way too big for my comfort.

K-7 is, as fussy miss Goldilocks, would say, "just nice".

I don't need FF(for the sake of a 36x24mm sensor) , nor the additional megapixels-> My laptop can't handle all those extra gigabytes in RAW.

To me , they can keep the K-7 sensor size as it is, as long as it can give me a FOV equal to the 35mm equivalent of my lens' focal length :D
This way, the camera can still be small, the SR can still be effective.
Engineers, is that possible?

The reason why many Pentaxians clamour for FF is really because we have many classic and exotic lenses which we want to see digitized in all its glory, with no snipped-off crops.

Last edited:
To me , they can keep the K-7 sensor size as it is, as long as it can give me a FOV equal to my lens focal length :D
This way, the camera can still be small, the SR can still be effective.

Not possible with any current known technology - would seem to require breaking the laws of physics.

Actually, the K7 is almost perfect. 14 megapixels is about as much as a APS-C camera should have. Most people don't take into account that you need a very good computer to deal with the larger files sizes for post processing. The K7's size and weight were the main factors that made me switched to Pentax. It is simply the most solid APS-C camera I have used thus far. Hell, the shutter is even quieter than the Leica M8 I used to use.:bsmilie:

As an ex-Canon user who has used both the 1D Mark 2N and 5D Classic, this is what I think of the 7D. The price is too expensive for an APS-C 1.6X crop factor camera. The file size is too big and post process will be a pain for slower computers. Most people don't really need the video features. While having 19AF is an advantage, in practical shooting, you'll hardly have the time to choose the points once the action starts. IMHO, the camera is better suited for sports photographers who need the longer reach provided by the crop factor rather than average hobbyists and prosumers. 8 FPS? How often will you shoot at 8 FPS? With proper techniques, one don't even need more than 3 FPS.

However, I sincerely hope Pentax will continue to work on the digital Medium Format 645 that will work with the older MF lens and priced it such that mere mortals like us will be able to buy it.:)

maybe AF speed that finally rivals C & N? imo, thats the something that would really make a big diff.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.