Encountered 2 cheapskate jokers who make CS look bad. Anyone have stories to share?

shawn_low

Nov 27, 2004
I had the bad luck to encounter two jokers here from CS when I was trying to sell my Panasonic LX3. This happened to me on two separate occasions. Talk about deja vu.

Both times, we agreed on a price and meeting place. Inevitably, the buyers would be late. And start texting me questions about the camera (when it's all clearly detailed in the ad).

Then would come the lowball offer. 'Eh, someone offered me less. Can cheaper?' etc. I've also heard, 'Buying for a fren. She saw it for $250 at Penin'. All this after we agreed on $300.

Of course, neither of them wants to pick up the phone when I ring. Both even have the cheek to keep offering me less after I walked away (they never turned up).

I say we have a thread where we name and shame these jokers. Put their handphone numbers and names in a sticky.

Anyone else have horror stories like these?

I also blogged about the incident in details for those who want a blow-by-blow.

http://sometimetraveller.posterous.com/why-some-singaporeans-take-the-cheapskate-beh

Dead horse flogging. There already is an old thread on this issue

Dead horse flogging. There already is an old thread on this issue

mm. i'll say use common sense? i'm like used to kite flyers, late comers, etc. why am i not surprised?:)

I do a bit of selling and buying in CS as well, and I must say most of them are ok one lar.. There always a small of no of "jokers" around....

just encountered one recently. he said he wanted to buy my lens, we agreed to meet up. then he looked at the lens and said it was only good enough for "parts" and offered me half price for the lens. never mind, i said, i'll just keep the lens lor. :bsmilie:

There will always be jokers around. Anyway, not just restricted to our country la. Btw the more experienced sellers wud make the buyer go to their place. So u can just stay home and wait for buyers to reach ur place. Tat may if they choose to aeroplane, u wasted no time and money.

just encountered one recently. he said he wanted to buy my lens, we agreed to meet up. then he looked at the lens and said it was only good enough for "parts" and offered me half price for the lens. never mind, i said, i'll just keep the lens lor. :bsmilie:

haha...like that also can be reasons to bargain for lower price??? quite creative sia....

haha...like that also can be reasons to bargain for lower price??? quite creative sia....

haha....yeah man....win to the max.

he said he is a lens collector. he has many copies of the same lens, and in this case he said he had already had a "perfect" copy of the lens which he did not want to shoot with, so he wanted to buy a second "cheap but just as good" lens to shoot with. oh well, cheapo photogs like me can only afford to own one copy of each lens. lol.

zaren said:
haha....yeah man....win to the max.

he said he is a lens collector. he has many copies of the same lens, and in this case he said he had already had a "perfect" copy of the lens which he did not want to shoot with, so he wanted to buy a second "cheap but just as good" lens to shoot with. oh well, cheapo photogs like me can only afford to own one copy of each lens. lol.

More like a lens part collector :bmilie:

More like a lens part collector :bmilie:

to each his own, i suppose. if i continue to buy more old cheapo lenses, then i will be a "lens collector" of sorts anyway. ;p

Last edited: