encounter with security guard at Sun Plaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out with my wife and 15 mth old baby girl, enjoying a cup of coffee at Coffee bean at Sun Plaza yesterday afternoon. We were sitting at the sofa beside the corridor and the open area. When my wife brought our aby girl out to the open area for a walk-a-bout. I , as usual, took out my D50 and fiddled with it. I took a shot of the railing with the corridor as a background.I deleted the file as I was just playing around with the camera.

A short while later, a plump chinese middle age security guard and a middle aged chinese guy with a moustache approached me, and the security guard fiercely asked if I am Mr Heng. I told him no, and he immediately told me that I am not to take any photographs in the building. I asked him if there is any such regulations, an both of them proceeded to tell me that there is such a rule and it is pasted at the front entrance. The security guard then wanted me to show him my camera and to delete all my photos!. I showed it to him and told him that there is no photo cause I deleted it earlier. he refused to believe me and told me to go through all the photos on the preview screen countless times! I had only 12 shots taken, but it still took some time to show him the photos as he kept wanting to see the photos again and again. Then he suspiciously asked me if I had another camera. I asked the security guard if he were to check on everyone with a camera and a camera phone! he said its ok to have camera phone, but for cameras, must have p0ermission from management. seems like a Mr heng has gotten permission from management to do a shoot there.

Seeng no photo, they left. Apparantly, the moustache guy was in the background, and he thought I was taking photo of him! and he complained to the security guards! Hello, he is not a pop star, and not a handsome guy. Don't know why he is so suspicious of others with a camera!

Went to take a look at the entrance. found the small sign on the sliding door. I drove, so I didn't know of the no photography sign. Anyway, I have been there many times, and have taken photos of my girl there before.

We went to feedback to the management that the no photography sign is too small and the security guard was extremely rude. The management guy apologised and said that camera phones are ok, but people get sensitive when they see cameras around....

I was extremely upset, as the security guard was so rude and confronted me as if I am a criminal. While he can be doing his job, he need not think that people with cameras are criminals and be so rude. Perhaps he is upset that I have a digital camera, or the moustache guy complained while he is on duty, or maybe that's how he usually speak!

What do you guys think?
Does the security guard have a right to demand to see my camera and that I delete the photos?

Nowadays, cameras are affordable, and almost everyone I know has a digtal camera of some sort. We all go around taking photos of friends and families inside of building. Yet the security guard seems to be living in the old age, although he does know about preview screen. Camera phones are ok, but not camera? Camera phones can still take good pics too of the building inside too, if people wants to do something...

Sorry for the long post, but I would want to know how to react better in future, esp after reading more post here on the mrt station photograph taking.

He is doing is job. Too little, its his ricebowl, do too much, gets complained left right center. How to please everyone_?

i wonder if it's an old auntie taking photo,how will the moustache guy react?:think:

The way I see it, yes the guards have the right to demand to take a look at ur photos to ensure that there isn't any shoots taken of the premises. As you are in the building that they are guarding, so they should have the rights to do so else don't see why the building needs security guards at all.

As to their attitude wise, well I'm sure they can ask politely. Nowadays these security guards are quite rude. I feel they can be stern but not rude.

Seriously since 911 incident, security becomes a really big concern. :(

there are too many of such cases already, think we shouldn't let this paranoid behaviour get out of hand :(

to be stopped by reasonably courteous security personnel is alright for me, yes they are doing their job. to be stopped by rude and unbecoming security personnel is a social problem.

it's the moustache guy u mentioned who probably complained bout u....i think such idiots should juz shut up....dun like being photographed...move away.

sbs99 said:
it's the moustache guy u mentioned who probably complained bout u....i think such idiots should juz shut up....dun like being photographed...move away.

I know, but he seemed to have pretty big ego.

He tried to explained to me that he was standing in the background while I was taking the shot, but the security guy told him to shut up! as we were still talking.

The no photography rule only applies if someone complained about you, and only applies for DP&S/DSLR/SLR/MF, but not camera phones. In the past before the digital cameras /phones was launched, it's pretty easy to enforce the no photography rule, but nowadays, so many people got cameras, and camera phones are now so sophisticated. Terrorist are not stupid, and they do make use of affordable technologies too.

It doesn't make sense at all. I never had any problems before with security guards.

The only way is to get permission from management to take photos inside the building, but all that just to take photos of friends and family...I would much prefer a nicer background.

Ah talk about don't like being photographed. I once was walking home and along the way was generally snapping on some photo on the open road. This guy even followed me back to the lift and confronted me why I take photo of his car which was parked along the road. At first I don't even know what he was talking about than I realised his vehicle was on one of my photo, taking about 1/10 of the picture space. You know he was so rude and making such a din that I actually have to tell him that I will call the police if he don't stop when I refuse to delete the photo. I demanded for hs identification and told him that he was on private property and was not prepared to let him go but I think he panicked and jumped over the low wall of my apartment to get out. I had a good time telling him off.

Hahahah! Methinks the security is just jealous that he has no D70 to play with... and when you showed him your camera, he became interested in it. Amazed by the sharp and colorful pictures, not to mention your fine composition, he asked you to play back again and again. With a Nikon D70 its not hard to imagine.

And the moustache man must have been wondering how well his time consumingy groomed moustache looks on a DSLR.....
:bsmilie:

ya, i've the same experience last Wednesday at Jurong Point.
All I wanted just to take one shot of my wife against the giant christmas tree as back ground
This chief security guard stopped me from doing so and quoted it's their building regulations and no camera is allowed in their building.
I then pointed him to the crowds watching an event on ground floor. there many people using P&S camera to shooting the performance on stage. Why didn't his colleagues standing there doing the same? Their regulations should apply to everybody and not just me.
After some arguements, he then radio to someone to seek advice over the radio. I then heard the reply was only video recording not allowed. I was angry about him to do such unnecessary things if he did what he was supposed to do. Anyway, our shopping mood was then spoiled by this incident and left Jurong Point without buying anything.
I will think twice to go there in future.
Cheers,
Patrick Ho

Isn't it time someone write to the papers to whine about how Singaporeans react against digital cameras and camera phones?

once kena qn by the security guard when I was talking photos of a shop at Bishan J8. luckily for me, I been commissioned by the owner of the shop....so i leave the 2 of them to talk...do agree that some security guards are damn rude...

Actually they don't, the most they can do is to ask you to leave. They have no right to demand to see your photographs, much less that you delete anything.

When in doubt, ask if they want to call the police to settle and see their reaction. The only downside is that if they take up your challenge, you might actually need to wait for the police :p However with rude guards, no quarter should be given.

ozora said:
The way I see it, yes the guards have the right to demand to take a look at ur photos to ensure that there isn't any shoots taken of the premises. As you are in the building that they are guarding, so they should have the rights to do so else don't see why the building needs security guards at all.

As to their attitude wise, well I'm sure they can ask politely. Nowadays these security guards are quite rude. I feel they can be stern but not rude.

Seriously since 911 incident, security becomes a really big concern. :(

To my understanding, there are no laws prohibiting the taking of photographs in public places and even in shopping centres etc. Even if the Management has such a rule, i am of the view that we have the right not to show them anything.

Redstar202 said:
To my understanding, there are no laws prohibiting the taking of photographs in public places and even in shopping centres etc. Even if the Management has such a rule, i am of the view that we have the right not to show them anything.

Ehhmm, I think shopping centres belong to some companies, so you need to follow their rules while in there. If you don't wish to follow their rules, then you can just don't visit them. But I don't think you can go in but refuse to follow their rules. This is like going to another country but refusing to follow their laws, and we all know this is a big no no.

jumbocrab said:
Ehhmm, I think shopping centres belong to some companies, so you need to follow their rules while in there. If you don't wish to follow their rules, then you can just don't visit them. But I don't think you can go in but refuse to follow their rules. This is like going to another country but refusing to follow their laws, and we all know this is a big no no.

that is correct. developers/property owners may provide facilities that allow for public usage, but the properties/facilities are still privately owned. it's like how a person owning a big bungalow with huge garden may open the garden for public to visit, but the owner has the rights to stop anyone from conducting photography within his property.

Was doing a shoot down in Orchard last night, did a quick shoot of my model walking pass a jewellary shop and slowing down to pose for me.

Just as I finished the shot, the security walked towards me, never did ask me to show my photos, but pretty obvious what he wanted to do. Think I wasn't caught in the 'act' so he can't demand me to do his bidding.

A bit over paranoid, anybody with a DSLR is suspicious. Goodness sake. There are at least 500 DSLRs sold every month!

espn said:
Was doing a shoot down in Orchard last night, did a quick shoot of my model walking pass a jewellary shop and slowing down to pose for me.

Just as I finished the shot, the security walked towards me, never did ask me to show my photos, but pretty obvious what he wanted to do. Think I wasn't caught in the 'act' so he can't demand me to do his bidding.

A bit over paranoid, anybody with a DSLR is suspicious. Goodness sake. There are at least 500 DSLRs sold every month!

I agree with you. Nowadays, paraniod seem to be on every guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.