EN-EL4 battery life

thltetek

Jul 31, 2012
Singapore
Hi, does anyone know how many frames or shots a Nikon EN-EL4 battery can last when fully charge? And roughly how many years can it last? Cause deciding to buy a set from a CS-er which includes 2 EN-EL4, charger and adapter along with Nikon MB-D10 grip, and it costs quite a bit, so would hope that it able to last me for quite a number of years at least. Tried googling about it but can't really find any answers, thus posting my queries here. Hope seniors and professionals here are able to help me with my queries, thanks so much. Cheers

thltetek said:
Hi, does anyone know how many frames or shots a Nikon EN-EL4 battery can last when fully charge? And roughly how many years can it last? Cause deciding to buy a set from a CS-er which includes 2 EN-EL4, charger and adapter along with Nikon MB-D10 grip, and it costs quite a bit, so would hope that it able to last me for quite a number of years at least. Tried googling about it but can't really find any answers, thus posting my queries here. Hope seniors and professionals here are able to help me with my queries, thanks so much. Cheers

Battery usually have a life span, very hard to give u an estimate unless the seller tell u how old and how frequent he use the battery

The battery is rated for about 4000 shutters per charge. Make sure its the Nikon one and not OEM as they use inferior cells.

The battery is rated for about 4000 shutters per charge. Make sure its the Nikon one and not OEM as they use inferior cells.

Okay thanks. How to check if it's Nikon and not OEM ones? The battery would have the word Nikon on it? Any ways to test on the spot?

Battery usually have a life span, very hard to give u an estimate unless the seller tell u how old and how frequent he use the battery

Yea that's what I'm concerned about too. Cause the seller don't know the set how old also. So don't really know how to gauge or estimate how long it can last me

You need a d2,d3,d3s body to check thru menu under batt info . 0=New 4=very used

You need a d2,d3,d3s body to check thru menu under batt info . 0=New 4=very used

Ohh.. I don't have those body. :/ Only D700. The seller also using D700. To reach very used stage normally around how many years or shots you know? Like rough gauge from your experience

No definite way to gauge , cause even seller don't know how old the set is .
And i believe he/she might not be the 1st owner . pretty tough to borrow a pro-body i think unless you know owner.
Btw with that set-up you get 8 fps or 9 ? i thought by using good rechargable can also attain that speed ?
If AA is a alternative , i strongly recommend that cause its cheaper and dont need to carry along extra charger since
flash light also uses same batteries. My 2 cents...

No definite way to gauge , cause even seller don't know how old the set is .
And i believe he/she might not be the 1st owner . pretty tough to borrow a pro-body i think unless you know owner.
Btw with that set-up you get 8 fps or 9 ? i thought by using good rechargable can also attain that speed ?
If AA is a alternative , i strongly recommend that cause its cheaper and dont need to carry along extra charger since
flash light also uses same batteries. My 2 cents...

Ohh okay. That makes sense too. I' considering to buy it cause the price is quite attractive. Like 350 for 2x EN-EL4 with charger and adapter and MB-D10. And confirm can last for for a day without the need for charger. If not maybe I just get the grip alone then

Or is it possible to check usage level of the EN-EL4 battery by inserting into the MB-D10 and use with D700 without EN-EL3 through the menu of D700?

Or is it possible to check usage level of the EN-EL4 battery by inserting into the MB-D10 and use with D700 without EN-EL3 through the menu of D700?

Simple , call and ask seller to test Lol

Seller no D3 body also, only D700 too. :/ He say 1 is at usage level 1 but the other unknown

That's what I'm suggesting base on your queries Abt checking with a d700,
ask seller to test on HIS d700 . But accurate or not im not sure .
Maybe can ask NSC if reading is accurate base on mb10 + el4 on d700 menu.

That's what I'm suggesting base on your queries Abt checking with a d700,
ask seller to test on HIS d700 . But accurate or not im not sure .
Maybe can ask NSC if reading is accurate base on mb10 + el4 on d700 menu.

Ohh, alright. Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it. Have a great week!

On my D2X, I used two En-EL4s. Since 2003 till now, one of it has already been asked to replace by the camera's inbuilt battery monitor. The other's life span is now at the mark '3'. Soon I believe will be due for change.

Both has been calibrated once or twice during the entire lifespan of 7-8 years.

1 battery can easily last my D2X two weeks overseas with average use. For events normally by end of day it's sitll 70+% full, after 1K or so shots. That's how strong the En-EL4 is. Now onto my first En-EL4a to replace the '4' year old En-EL4.

Good point there too ! En-el4 are older model , should be more then a few years old.
If batteries are el4a then they would be younger. Do note also el4 is 2000mAH(?) el4a is 2500mAh.
Capacity wise is 4000 and 4400 shots on paper respectively .

On my D2X, I used two En-EL4s. Since 2003 till now, one of it has already been asked to replace by the camera's inbuilt battery monitor. The other's life span is now at the mark '3'. Soon I believe will be due for change.

Both has been calibrated once or twice during the entire lifespan of 7-8 years.

1 battery can easily last my D2X two weeks overseas with average use. For events normally by end of day it's sitll 70+% full, after 1K or so shots. That's how strong the En-EL4 is. Now onto my first En-EL4a to replace the '4' year old En-EL4.

Cool, that's impressive! Which do you think I should go for? $260 for MB-D10 with 2 original EN-EL3 battery or $350 for MB-D10 with 2 EN-EL4 battery, adapter and charger. 1 of the EL4 is usage level 1 while the other unknown. I know that the second one is more worth but not really sure if I need that much battery lif though

Cool, that's impressive! Which do you think I should go for? $260 for MB-D10 with 2 original EN-EL3 battery or $350 for MB-D10 with 2 EN-EL4 battery, adapter and charger. 1 of the EL4 is usage level 1 while the other unknown. I know that the second one is more worth but not really sure if I need that much battery lif though

The battery life for flagships DSLRs are pretty impressive indeed :)

$350 for the MB-D10 + MH21 charger is a steal if you ask me. Just that the battery life of the En-EL4 passed to you might not be up to your expectations already. Afterall, it is pretty old.

The battery life is something you should not belittle. When I went on trips that had no power source for me, I was glad I brought two En-EL4s along as it safely lasted me in the cold weather. Most of the time one of it ends up being standby and the charger is unused during the trip.

Another beauty lies in not having to worry about battery life while shooting. Or constantly recharging them before you take them out. On average, 1 En-EL4 can last me 1 full day of shoot with some life to spare. On another comparison, it can last me a week or so as mentioned on casual shooting, 300-400 per time maybe 3-4 times?

Package wise & price wise, $350 looks more interesting than $260. The En-EL4e is at about $180+ new. Even if one of it is beyond the life span, the other would still last you a long long time. It doesn't jump from 1 to 4 in that short time frame.

The battery life for flagships DSLRs are pretty impressive indeed :)

$350 for the MB-D10 + MH21 charger is a steal if you ask me. Just that the battery life of the En-EL4 passed to you might not be up to your expectations already. Afterall, it is pretty old.

The battery life is something you should not belittle. When I went on trips that had no power source for me, I was glad I brought two En-EL4s along as it safely lasted me in the cold weather. Most of the time one of it ends up being standby and the charger is unused during the trip.

Another beauty lies in not having to worry about battery life while shooting. Or constantly recharging them before you take them out. On average, 1 En-EL4 can last me 1 full day of shoot with some life to spare. On another comparison, it can last me a week or so as mentioned on casual shooting, 300-400 per time maybe 3-4 times?

Package wise & price wise, $350 looks more interesting than $260. The En-EL4e is at about $180+ new. Even if one of it is beyond the life span, the other would still last you a long long time. It doesn't jump from 1 to 4 in that short time frame.

Alright thanks for the advice. Think I shall go for the 350 package ba. May need it when go for overseas trips too. Thanks for your time helping me out here. Appreciate your help a lot. :) Hope you have a great week ahead! :)

Alright thanks for the advice. Think I shall go for the 350 package ba. May need it when go for overseas trips too. Thanks for your time helping me out here. Appreciate your help a lot. :) Hope you have a great week ahead! :)

If its any consolation. These batteries unless it is really well used will out last the normal EN-EL3e battries anytime. ;)