emotional photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming

Oct 22, 2006
it is a common sight to see singer cry when they are so emotional during concert. does photographer cry when they capture certain moments while snapping..

think photographer more concern with the camera setting, exposure .... etc

how about kevin carter?

does he count as emotional enough?

here's a quick one on kevin carter

http://www.mukto-mona.com/Articles/kevin_carter/sudan_child.htm

"I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

it is a common sight to see singer cry when they are so emotional during concert. does photographer cry when they capture certain moments while snapping..

does it matter whether photographers cry while snapping? the difference is when the singer cries it is captured in the picture. when the photographer cries, nobody can tell unless another photographer captures the shot of that photographer crying, in which case he becomes the subject.

It depends on the background of the photographer and what training they've had. I rarely displayed emotions in 12 years of covering some of the worst wars and human tragedies of the last 30 or so years, but part of that was due to my background and part due to training and also iron will. There were plenty of times where having a good cry would be the easy way out, rather than doing the job you're paid to do.

As I've said many times on CS... there are memories that still haunt me and many things I'd rather I never saw happen, but I always viewed my job as being the impartial witness. There are a few times where I broke down after a job, in particular one job in BKK back in 86 and after watching a kid drown who was just out of reach.

Just be glad most of you will never have to go through it as it's soul destroying.

i do, all the time. Esp when the moment is a touching one

A very thought-provoking question you have raised there.
Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to shed tears when I take pictures.
I think it is mainly because I am a hobbyist and I haven't had the experience of capturing something, some moment, some people that is so emotionally stirring.
But if the time comes, I am not ashamed to say that I most probably would display a little bit of my own emotion.

I'm sure many emographers will show their true colous once they watch their DSLR coupled with a red and yellow banded lens slipping from their hands and falling to the ground assisted by the pull of Earth's gravity. ;p

I'm sure many emographers will show their true colous once they watch their DSLR coupled with a red and yellow banded lens slipping from their hands and falling to the ground assisted by the pull of Earth's gravity. ;p

:bsmilie: one's heart will stop beating for that very second when the camera hits the ground, bounced a little, and drop hard again.

Anger is also an emotion - will photographers express anger when they told they cannot take photos in certain places or when they are blocked by another inconsiderate photographer?

I once captured a shoot at Orchard rd of an old lady selling tissue. I left her and went back without buying anything from her. After I reviewed the photo taken for the day. I came across this shot of her reaching out to a passerby. I stared at the photo for a moment and tears flowed..... The helplessness was written all over the photo.

I went back to the same spot to look for her, however, she is nowhere to be found. I can truly feel what Kelvin Carter felt. I felt so guilty for not helping her but just went on my way.

From that day on, I will give a little token whenever I take shots of those helpless on the street. I hope we can have lesser of these people on the street. Everyone deserve a decent living, unless they didn't want it.

Please all fellow snapper, help those in need if you can. Make this a better world for all.

Lastly, bless your soul Kelvin Carter.

From that day on, I will give a little token whenever I take shots of those helpless on the street. I hope we can have lesser of these people on the street. Everyone deserve a decent living, unless they didn't want it.

Please all fellow snapper, help those in need if you can. Make this a better world for all.

I'm joyful that you have chosen the character of your life.
Remember, you will take your character into eternity,
but not your photographic skills.

Many of us fail to make a list of the character qualities
they want to work on. May peace and glory be in your
heart to share with the world always.

:thumbsup::heart:

It depends on the background of the photographer and what training they've had. I rarely displayed emotions in 12 years of covering some of the worst wars and human tragedies of the last 30 or so years, but part of that was due to my background and part due to training and also iron will. There were plenty of times where having a good cry would be the easy way out, rather than doing the job you're paid to do.

As I've said many times on CS... there are memories that still haunt me and many things I'd rather I never saw happen, but I always viewed my job as being the impartial witness. There are a few times where I broke down after a job, in particular one job in BKK back in 86 and after watching a kid drown who was just out of reach.

Just be glad most of you will never have to go through it as it's soul destroying.

As what you'd mention...Professional photographer...many are called for..

A very thought-provoking question you have raised there.
Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to shed tears when I take pictures.
I think it is mainly because I am a hobbyist and I haven't had the experience of capturing something, some moment, some people that is so emotionally stirring.
But if the time comes, I am not ashamed to say that I most probably would display a little bit of my own emotion.

As follower of Buddhism, I believes you'll have a very calm sense of mind knowing that all those happening are just part of destiny, fate and karma.

There is one emo taxi driver where he was booked for entering bus lane at Centre Point, and the next morning 8.00 am was present at LTA HQ, Sin Ming Road holding a one man demo...a truly emotional guy isn't he ?

We are constantly reminded to be sensiible and rational, do not let emotion over rule us.

Status
Not open for further replies.