Emergency Runway excercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudpool

Apr 30, 2002
Lakeside & Suzhou-China
Anyone went to shoot the thing? It really amazes me that they actually took down 163 lamp-posts, two bus posts, two bus shelters, seven traffic lights, 40 road signs and 1.2 km of railings for the excercise! What's more, they have to put back the 163 lamp-posts, two bus posts, two bus shelters, seven traffic lights, 40 road signs and 1.2 km of railings. :eek:

i don't think anyone is allowed to shoot it other than the mainstream press... military security and clearance and all that...

Having served my NS in the air force, I can offer two comments:
  • ER exercises are definitely not fun to plan--and I'm sure they're even far less fun to execute. Have to give a thumbs up to the 200-odd servicemen out there doing this thankless work.
  • You definitely don't want any soldier or military policeman catching you taking photographs of any RSAF exercises, unless you don't mind having your film/memory card confiscated.

Are those streetlamps, railings etc special? So that it's easy to take down and put back up? Quite curious on how they manage to do it

If you happen to drive along Lim Chu Kang Rd next time, stop and examine. The lamp posts are bolted down with removable bolts and so are all the fixtures and signboards along the road. It is also a very straight and long stretch of a road.

Oh yes and so is the stretch of the ECP expressway towards Changi Airport. A makeshift runway too. Same kinds of special lamp posts.

Originally posted by Jonny
Oh yes and so is the stretch of the ECP expressway towards Changi Airport. A makeshift runway too. Same kinds of special lamp posts.
yup yup... those flower beds can be removed and cleared within a day if i not wrong. think it also serves as a emergency runway for Changi Airport if anything goes wrong...

Originally posted by Larry
yup yup... those flower beds can be removed and cleared within a day if i not wrong. think it also serves as a emergency runway for Changi Airport if anything goes wrong...

I wonder what will happen if they have 10planes wanting to land? Is there any parking space for those plane?

Originally posted by Klause
I wonder what will happen if they have 10planes wanting to land? Is there any parking space for those plane?
i think there's a gate nearer towards Changi that opens up to the airfield... seen it before when i driving towards the airport.

Wanna know? Join the air force.....:D

Originally posted by panz

Wanna know? Join the air force.....:D

Colour blind + Poor eye sight. Later I accidentally land my fighter jet into housing estate. hehe :)

Colour blind + Poor eye sight. Later I accidentally land my fighter jet into housing estate. hehe :)
I doubt very fun that you can get pass the 1st stage of becoming a pilot... much less a fighter pilot
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by AdamGoi

No need; ask me!

I was involved in the ER exercise! :D
Woah.... :eek:
You in airforce huh?

No need; ask me!

As what? one of those poor guys stripping down the railings.lampost etc??:eek:

Originally posted by panz

As what? one of those poor guys stripping down the railings.lampost etc??:eek:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: good one!

But what did you do there adam?

Originally posted by Mudpool

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: good one!

But what did you do there adam?

Pilot? Runway sweeper?:what:

No need; ask me!

Wasn't you suppose to be at the other side of singapore??

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.