Email from Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Dear All,

Earlier this week, I received 2 emails with the following text and i was wondering if this was for real? :dunno:

Dear XXXXXX@hotmail.com,

We are contacting you to remind you that on 18 JUN 2006 we identified some unusual activity in your account coming from a foreign IP address :capitol.guatemala-203-pc.in ( IP address located in India ) . We have been notified that a card associated with your account has been reported as lost or stolen and involved in fraudulent transactions, or that there were additional problems with your card.

According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your account will be marked as fraudulent , and will remain open for investigation. You will pay for the fees wich will result from the financial transactions between eBay and FIT ( Fraud Investigations Team ) .

eBay's Privacy Policy and Law Enforcement Disclosure: We care deeply about the privacy of the eBay community and will protect the privacy of our members even while working closely with law enforcement to prevent criminal activity. If you are unsure about our privacy practices, please visit eBay's Privacy Central for more information.

To confirm your email address on file at eBay, just click the button below:

I was actually wondering if i should click the button.....

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Don't. Google the term "Phishing" for more information.

I personally never trust this kind of email with "need to fill in form, credit card or password, username etc", I will never press the button, if in doubt, I would rather send a email myself to ebay enquiry from their legitimate website instead of from the link.

First of all, goto ur Windows System32 directory (or izzit?) and look for a file called 'hosts' to ensure its not being tampered with.

Check the email header by doing an "Alt-Enter" to see the properties of the email. Click on 'message source' and do a copy-paste onto a text file.

After that, forward everything to EBay Administrators (except ur hosts file) for verification and confirmation whether ur EBay account had been hacked. Pretty much a no-brainer.

There's a 99.9% that this email is nothing more than a hoax. Trust me on this. ;)

Hmm, :think: it might be a fake email. I am not sure about general Ebay advert emails, but when Ebay sends an email, right at the top, there is this block of text in gray. I reproduced the text below

This email was sent to Real Name (Ebay nick) from eBay. To increase confidence this email came from eBay we are including your name and user ID based on the information you provided when you registered on eBay.

The Real Name is the name that you provided when you registered on Rbay
The Ebay nick is your Ebay login name.

But then my activity on Ebay is rather low...:dunno: maybe others can advise too

Depending on the real name thing, is not a foolproof method.

Checking the message header and all the standard checks (doing dig, etc) to double confirm is the best method.

all these are scams .. phishing is the term.

if you check the link they point to .. they usually are not ebay URL .. something funny trying to imitate as a real URL or just some IP numbers. Never trust this sort of email.

But I am impressed at times how creative they can get.

jsbn said:
First of all, goto ur Windows System32 directory (or izzit?) and look for a file called 'hosts' to ensure its not being tampered with.

Check the email header by doing an "Alt-Enter" to see the properties of the email. Click on 'message source' and do a copy-paste onto a text file.

After that, forward everything to EBay Administrators (except ur hosts file) for verification and confirmation whether ur EBay account had been hacked. Pretty much a no-brainer.

There's a 99.9% that this email is nothing more than a hoax. Trust me on this. ;)

How do i check the header when using hotmail? :dunno:

Confirm phishing:

1. Real mail address you by the registered name, not your e-mail name. Also good that your registered name is not exactly like your e-mail name. E.g. Name: Albert Einstein, e-mail: aleinstein@hotmail.com. If you receive anythng addressed to aleinstein in the mail, it means that the mail originator does not have the real name Albert Einstien, hence a spam.

2. All reputable companies will no longer supply a clickable link. You must type in the site's home address and log in from there. This is a good security feature, although less convenient than a click on the link in the mail. It is on this little bit of convenience that phishing works.

3. Pay a fee? What fee? If you are informed that your account is compromised and e-bay is not doing anything to help you, then it is obvious that you should sue e-bay instead! Same as for other vendors, they all promised privacy and security.

4. More importantly, read more and train yourself to be more IT savvy, quite a necessity in today's world. To quote Startrek, a little boy (5 years old thereabout) on board the Enterprise complained to his father, "but I don't want to do calculus" where by the father said, "everyone must learn calculus." Some old lady actually warned me in Dec 1999 not to use my washing machine as the digital component may fail when the milennia bug strikes.

I have an e-bay account on my private e-mail address. But I am also receiveing mail similar to your on my 'public' e-mail addresses like yahoo.com and hotmial.com. Quite ridiculous.

Just delete the mail. No point notifying anyone else in hotmail as that will create more unnecessary mail.

Wolfgang said:
How do i check the header when using hotmail? :dunno:

Anyhow, i took a risk and clicked on the button and it redirected me to some weird site that has nothing to do with ebay... i reckon it's a scam.... ;( :angry:

Using hotmail? Hmm...

There shld be an option to check message header, something like 'show original message' or stuff like that. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm using Gmail.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHLD U CLICK THAT LINK.

yowch said:
Confirm phishing:

1. Real mail address you by the registered name, not your e-mail name. Also good that your registered name is not exactly like your e-mail name. E.g. Name: Albert Einstein, e-mail: aleinstein@hotmail.com. If you receive anythng addressed to aleinstein in the mail, it means that the mail originator does not have the real name Albert Einstien, hence a spam.

2. All reputable companies will no longer supply a clickable link. You must type in the site's home address and log in from there. This is a good security feature, although less convenient than a click on the link in the mail. It is on this little bit of convenience that phishing works.

3. Pay a fee? What fee? If you are informed that your account is compromised and e-bay is not doing anything to help you, then it is obvious that you should sue e-bay instead! Same as for other vendors, they all promised privacy and security.

4. More importantly, read more and train yourself to be more IT savvy, quite a necessity in today's world. To quote Startrek, a little boy (5 years old thereabout) on board the Enterprise complained to his father, "but I don't want to do calculus" where by the father said, "everyone must learn calculus." Some old lady actually warned me in Dec 1999 not to use my washing machine as the digital component may fail when the milennia bug strikes.

I have an e-bay account on my private e-mail address. But I am also receiveing mail similar to your on my 'public' e-mail addresses like yahoo.com and hotmial.com. Quite ridiculous.

Just delete the mail. No point notifying anyone else in hotmail as that will create more unnecessary mail.

Alrighty. :) Thanks. :)

jsbn said:
Using hotmail? Hmm...

There shld be an option to check message header, something like 'show original message' or stuff like that. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm using Gmail.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHLD U CLICK THAT LINK.

OOOOoooops. Already did. :embrass: But it just re-directed me to some lame website that has nothing to do with Ebay... ;p

yowch said:
This is a classic. :bsmilie:

Remembered during the days before the 'Millennium Bug' was supposed to hit, some of my classmates virtually spammed everyone's email (mail filters ain't that efficient in the past) and bombarded my email with pretty twisted logic on the Millennium Bug until I replied to each individual slamming them, refuting point for point and telling them to leave me out of nonsensical chain mails such as these (I was a big lamer back then).

Must have pissed some of them off cos all I got for it was an email saying that, "It was for my own good and if I don't wanna heed expert's advice, I'm heading for hell." They never mailed me since (thankfully).

Some of the sites linked to teh click would have been killed by the time the mail gets to you, but clicking is not always good, especially on 'unprotected' OS or web browser, as you may be downloading malicious software or scripts that can wreck your system or steal personal info. Be very careful.

Wolfgang said:
OOOOoooops. Already did. :embrass: But it just re-directed me to some lame website that has nothing to do with Ebay... ;p
Hmm... Ok, I guess that did no harm anyway.

But do develop the habit of not clicking dubious links and attachments at all. Not to turn u guys into trembling, pale paranoid ppl but ur computer can be hacked simply by going to a website.

I can joke and lame on 100 issues but this is something I'm not joking.

yowch said:
Some of the sites linked to teh click would have been killed by the time the mail gets to you, but clicking is not always good, especially on 'unprotected' OS or web browser, as you may be downloading malicious software or scripts that can wreck your system or steal personal info. Be very careful.

Alright... noted. :)

jsbn said:
This is a classic. :bsmilie:

Remembered during the days before the 'Millennium Bug' was supposed to hit, some of my classmates virtually spammed everyone's email (mail filters ain't that efficient in the past) and bombarded my email with pretty twisted logic on the Millennium Bug until I replied to each individual slamming them, refuting point for point and telling them to leave me out of nonsensical chain mails such as these (I was a big lamer back then).

Must have pissed some of them off cos all I got for it was an email saying that, "It was for my own good and if I don't wanna heed expert's advice, I'm heading for hell." They never mailed me since (thankfully).

Hahaha.. you know what they say.. the road to hell is paved with good intentions. ;)

jsbn said:
Hmm... Ok, I guess that did no harm anyway.

But do develop the habit of not clicking dubious links and attachments at all. Not to turn u guys into trembling, pale paranoid ppl but ur computer can be hacked simply by going to a website.

I can joke and lame on 100 issues but this is something I'm not joking.

Yeah, i know what you mean... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.