EM1 MK2 or the Sony A7 Mk2

vizard87

Nov 30, 2008
I am currently owning an em5 mk2 and thinking of either going up to a Em1 mk2 or change to a new system, Sony A7mk2 but i know changing system is ex and i am not so willing to sell off my em5 mk2 too..so i am not too sure, kinda need ideas from you guys..

I am currently owning an em5 mk2 and thinking of either going up to a Em1 mk2 or change to a new system, Sony A7mk2 but i know changing system is ex and i am not so willing to sell off my em5 mk2 too..so i am not too sure, kinda need ideas from you guys..

Hope you don't take this personally, by your question I don't think you know what you want.
People think a better or advanced camera will take better photograghs, it is only true if one talks about having better/accurate exposure metering,dynamic range or accurate autofocus.You still have to frame/compose the photo yourself.

The question you should ask is what kind of photographs do you want to make and does your current equipment fulfill the requirements. In other words get the right tool for the right job.I admit the cameras from major brands do a decent job but when it comes to specific types of photography
example, portrait, sports/action, astrophotography,architecture it becomes technical in the selection
of the right camera.

Another thing is what kind of image quality that different image sensors offer. M43, apsc,FF and medium format.If you only post online to the webpage it does not matter as even a point and shoot camera or phonecam will do.

Edit: M43 having a 2X crop factor (doubling of lens focal length = reach) would be good for sports/wildlife and EM1 mk2 would be capable.Apsc being 1.5X crop factor would also be good. For FF (full frame) that's another story altogether for portrait.;)

If you see your photos on the LCD monitor there should be noticeable difference among the sizes
of image sensors. Hope this gives you food for thought.:D

Last edited:
it used to be crop vs FF dslr, these days the mirrorless systems: crop vs FF

all systems are able to give you excellent pictures these days, be it Flagship EM1M2, or little camera Pen Lite EPL8. or Nex or XT2. Or Nex A6500. Not to mention A7M2 that you are looking at.

The thing is about nailing the shot better at different genres.

E,g, EM1.2 some say it's pricey but for birders/sports photographer I don't think they would complain much with it's fast tracking AF. If you need for those situations, yes an upgrade is good. PLus the 5axis is best in any cameras i've tested...

The size difference in sensors does make a difference, if you pixel peep hard. The difference is more of dynamic range, sony FF will be better higher MP will count for those who need to crop their shots more. ISO will be better as well.
For portraits FF gives more shallow depth of field, but of course doesn't mean you can use it well all the time.

But what gives, I like my m43 because if I want really small, I use Panasonic GM5+12-32 and hit the streets for unobtrusive works, Em1 Mark II + O714 for several seconds handholding long exposures without tripod, brilliant for travel/walk about, and the excellent 12-100mm F4 pro lens that doesn't give soft images in any focal length...and it still isn't that huge (well 72mm and big if you compare m43 primes, but it's not huge/heavy as G Master zoom lenses).

For primes choices,
If i want 17mm, I have O17/1.8, O17/2.8, P15/1.7, Voigtlander 17/0.95. 0.95 are big, but hey, F0.95!
If i want 25mm, I have P25/1.4, P25/1.7, O25/1.2Pro, O25/1.8, Voigt 25/0.95 and pancake P20/1.7
If I want 45mm, I have O45/1.8, P42.5/1.7, P42.5/1.2, Voigt 42.5/0.95
and for wides, there's P14mm/2.5 small pancake, O12/2, Voigt 10/0.95, and latest laowa 7.5/2
Of different size, brightness, and quality.

Guess my point is you can have pretty excellent (possibly not best in IQ, DR, resolution unless u use High Res mode) IQ, overall portability and low light handheld shooting and less sensor dust issues sticking with m43 with so many lens choices. Every systems has it's + and -, just about how you understand it and matching that to your needs. Quality of image is more important than Image quality (I'm plagiarizing this from the net)

I think Sony lens range is becoming excellent ( esp with 12-24, 100-400) and definitely best sensor has to be theirs as well, but I always come back to m43, it's like comfort food :) the primes like 55/1.8 or 35/2.8 or legacy lenses with adaptor are still portable, but G Masters zooms are really not that much different from dslr. You can't go wrong going with the best of Sony, whether you can handle the price/portability that's a decision that we can't really help.

And I think Em1.2 should be compared to A9 really (or maybe A7RM2) not a7m2...

Some things to ponder, what makes you want to sell Em5M2? Is there some features that you like about A7m2 or it's just simply GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome) in play? Perhaps a quick way is to loan/rent the a7m2 with lens and test.

Last edited:
If you have the money, buy whatever you want and enjoy it!

Both systems have their value, which is why I still own both, GH3, 4 and A7R2.

First, you need to define what you want, what you're looking for, what you want to do, what m43 can't do for you etc, before anyone can really make any specific comments. Right now you're just going to get very general comments because you have provided no context or background for your thoughts. If it's really just general GAS type upgrading itch, I'd go with my first comment, buy whatever you want and enjoy it :)

If you have the money, buy whatever you want and enjoy it!

Both systems have their value, which is why I still own both, GH3, 4 and A7R2.

First, you need to define what you want, what you're looking for, what you want to do, what m43 can't do for you etc, before anyone can really make any specific comments. Right now you're just going to get very general comments because you have provided no context or background for your thoughts. If it's really just general GAS type upgrading itch, I'd go with my first comment, buy whatever you want and enjoy it :)

Hi, i did think its my GAS acting up but i have not really try out a FF before, thus i was thinking if its worthwhile to get a different system or maintain with 1 which is olympus EM1.2, something which has been on my end goal for quite a while..for me, i like to one day progress to be a freelance photographer but as of now, the things i shoot are mainly streets and abit of portraits shoot..

it used to be crop vs FF dslr, these days the mirrorless systems: crop vs FF

all systems are able to give you excellent pictures these days, be it Flagship EM1M2, or little camera Pen Lite EPL8. or Nex or XT2. Or Nex A6500. Not to mention A7M2 that you are looking at.

The thing is about nailing the shot better at different genres.

E,g, EM1.2 some say it's pricey but for birders/sports photographer I don't think they would complain much with it's fast tracking AF. If you need for those situations, yes an upgrade is good. PLus the 5axis is best in any cameras i've tested...

The size difference in sensors does make a difference, if you pixel peep hard. The difference is more of dynamic range, sony FF will be better higher MP will count for those who need to crop their shots more. ISO will be better as well.
For portraits FF gives more shallow depth of field, but of course doesn't mean you can use it well all the time.

But what gives, I like my m43 because if I want really small, I use Panasonic GM5+12-32 and hit the streets for unobtrusive works, Em1 Mark II + O714 for several seconds handholding long exposures without tripod, brilliant for travel/walk about, and the excellent 12-100mm F4 pro lens that doesn't give soft images in any focal length...and it still isn't that huge (well 72mm and big if you compare m43 primes, but it's not huge/heavy as G Master zoom lenses).

For primes choices,
If i want 17mm, I have O17/1.8, O17/2.8, P15/1.7, Voigtlander 17/0.95. 0.95 are big, but hey, F0.95!
If i want 25mm, I have P25/1.4, P25/1.7, O25/1.2Pro, O25/1.8, Voigt 25/0.95 and pancake P20/1.7
If I want 45mm, I have O45/1.8, P42.5/1.7, P42.5/1.2, Voigt 42.5/0.95
and for wides, there's P14mm/2.5 small pancake, O12/2, Voigt 10/0.95, and latest laowa 7.5/2
Of different size, brightness, and quality.

Guess my point is you can have pretty excellent (possibly not best in IQ, DR, resolution unless u use High Res mode) IQ, overall portability and low light handheld shooting and less sensor dust issues sticking with m43 with so many lens choices. Every systems has it's + and -, just about how you understand it and matching that to your needs. Quality of image is more important than Image quality (I'm plagiarizing this from the net)

I think Sony lens range is becoming excellent ( esp with 12-24, 100-400) and definitely best sensor has to be theirs as well, but I always come back to m43, it's like comfort food :) the primes like 55/1.8 or 35/2.8 or legacy lenses with adaptor are still portable, but G Masters zooms are really not that much different from dslr. You can't go wrong going with the best of Sony, whether you can handle the price/portability that's a decision that we can't really help.

And I think Em1.2 should be compared to A9 really (or maybe A7RM2) not a7m2...

Some things to ponder, what makes you want to sell Em5M2? Is there some features that you like about A7m2 or it's just simply GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome) in play? Perhaps a quick way is to loan/rent the a7m2 with lens and test.

Hi Wong, thank you for your opinion, i have followed you on your instagram and find your pictures really nice and that is also one of the point which makes me think whether should i keep on following olympus as my lens are 17mm, 45mm, 12-40mm and its true that sony lens are quite expensive and maybe that if i get a Sony A7mk2, i will only be able to get a used prime lens and not be able to get other glasses.

It depends also on your shooting style as well. Below is just my 2 cents:

If you like to play with DOF and bokeh, if you are wide / super wide / hyper wide angle shooter, if you want to play with tilt/shift lens, if you are doing a lot landscape (with high dynamic range scene), ... you will greatly appreciate the full frame camera.

People who like to play with legacy lenses and / or rangefinder lens also are the one who normally cannot come back to cropped sensor after play with full frame sensor.

It depends also on your shooting style as well. Below is just my 2 cents:

If you like to play with DOF and bokeh, if you are wide / super wide / hyper wide angle shooter, if you want to play with tilt/shift lens, if you are doing a lot landscape (with high dynamic range scene), ... you will greatly appreciate the full frame camera.

People who like to play with legacy lenses and / or rangefinder lens also are the one who normally cannot come back to cropped sensor after play with full frame sensor.

Well i am not really a landscape shooter nor a wide angle shooter, mostly of cityscape or people kind of shooter..thus i am not too sure if i should purchase a 2nd hand A7Mk2 and see how is FF really like or save up the dough and just go with olympus em1.2

Hi Wong, thank you for your opinion, i have followed you on your instagram and find your pictures really nice and that is also one of the point which makes me think whether should i keep on following olympus as my lens are 17mm, 45mm, 12-40mm and its true that sony lens are quite expensive and maybe that if i get a Sony A7mk2, i will only be able to get a used prime lens and not be able to get other glasses.

thanks, though instagram hardly can see image quality. another option is just buy a used A7r2 and kit or prime and sell off if you don't like, sometimes can be cheaper than rental if you get it right.

haha, you are using it well my friend!
I tried but somehow still back with m43 coz of the size. I suppose I can survive solely on MF with the legacy and voigtlander wides just for the portability and DOF, and just slow things down perhaps some day, when A7 is <$500 used, brilliant EVF they have too ;p

Well i am not really a landscape shooter nor a wide angle shooter, mostly of cityscape or people kind of shooter..thus i am not too sure if i should purchase a 2nd hand A7Mk2 and see how is FF really like or save up the dough and just go with olympus em1.2

Not a pro here. Just a humble opinion that u shldnt get either of the cameras. Based on your shooting genres, im thinking your money will prob be well spent and invest on two of the following lenses:

- Oly 7- 14 or Pany 8-18 (Cityscape or environmental/wide angle portrait)
- Oly 25 f1.2 or Oly 75mm (Portrait)

The 2 lenses will prob cost you around the price of the camera body that you r interested to get.

Not a pro here. Just a humble opinion that u shldnt get either of the cameras. Based on your shooting genres, im thinking your money will prob be well spent and invest on two of the following lenses:

The 2 lenses will prob cost you around the price of the camera body that you r interested to get.

Good advise Bro... but I think TS got the FF BBB virus.... so prob can get a 2nd hand FF from B&S... if don't work out, won't lost much selling off.

Why buy, even second hand, if you are not sure? Nowadays can easily go and rent if you want to test.

Actually ur quite right as that was my third choice..the 25mm f1.2 was really awesome...Damn I am in a mixed state of mind

If that is the case, I don't think you will see much different between M43 Vs FF except on the weight and size. If my shooting style is like that, I will invest in the 12mm and 25mm then stay with M43 to enjoy the compact and quite completed system.

haha, you are using it well my friend!
I tried but somehow still back with m43 coz of the size. I suppose I can survive solely on MF with the legacy and voigtlander wides just for the portability and DOF, and just slow things down perhaps some day, when A7 is <$500 used, brilliant EVF they have too ;p
Ha ha, .... your photos from the M43 system in combination with the design of the Pen-F have been given me a hard time to fight against my G.A.S! ;p

If that is the case, I don't think you will see much different between M43 Vs FF except on the weight and size. If my shooting style is like that, I will invest in the 12mm and 25mm then stay with M43 to enjoy the compact and quite completed system.

Ha ha, .... your photos from the M43 system in combination with the design of the Pen-F have been given me a hard time to fight against my G.A.S! ;p

Hmm true but I am going to the IT fair to have a feel of the Sony A7mk2 and em1 mk2 and maybe I will just get the 25mm f1.2 haha in a dilemma

Hmm true but I am going to the IT fair to have a feel of the Sony A7mk2 and em1 mk2 and maybe I will just get the 25mm f1.2 haha in a dilemma

25mm Pro I don't think it's selling at the CEE...

Haha no la, i was just trying out the body of the two cameras in mind, i already did know how 25mm performance le

Seen this sort of questions all the time. I would really ask you, Are you not satisfied with your current camera? What do you think is your limitation that is hindering you from progressing in your hobby?

List them down and see if there is any way to work around the problems. There is no perfect camera except for the pair of eyes that God gave you. Most see higher dynamic range that all the cameras today and Most see higher details and better low light capabilities.

After you list them down, look at the viable solutions. Can a simple lens upgrade Or a Software upgrade be sufficient? Or does is really need a a whole hardware revamp? Or just climbing a mountain to look for that Sifu (Like Wonglp) to teach you?

All systems these last 5 years have little differences in IQ. Just which one you are comfortable with.

Share with you my experience. I used EM5 for 2 years. Sold everything for Sony. While I appreciate Sony FF for landscape/cityscape and thought this will be my one and only setup, it's too big for walkaround/street, even with primes. Want to put inside small non-camera bag also difficult.

So I re-entered m43 and bought EM10m2. Don't need all the extra functions in EM5m2 or 20mp. Going to use pancakes lens and primes. Due to it small size, shooting with it is more fun.

So I have Sony FF for tripod works. EM10m2 for the rest. Best of both worlds.