Em 5 cannot power up and lens cap broke on the same day

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
Friday was an eventful day for my Em 5 bought in June 2013. First the lens cap for the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO broke. Never knew a lens cap could break so easily. Then after shooting for some time the Em 5 could not power on anymore. I did not drop it or anything like that, anyway changed battery, charged battery, took out lens , used another lens but nothing could get it to power on.

1.) Anybody has a suggestion for a cheap 3rd party lens for my M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO ?

2.) Any suggestion on what else to try to get the EM 5 to power up before I bring it down to the service centre? Anybody who has had this problem before would like to share/

Thanks to all.

spidey89

Staff member
Jun 6, 2007
South Western Singapore
1) eBay and wow, seriously? I've used the 12-40 for years, dropped and banged against the wall while it was in my pocket and it never broke, how did it break?

2) Could be something internal broke, best to just bring down to the service center. But it's already 4 years old, there may not be parts so might have to trade in for the newer models, or just get a used body

apex

Nov 7, 2002
Visit site
I repair my E-M5 II on this problem before.

- Was out of warranty quote $200+ if need to change the system board (top panel board)
- End up they manage to perform cleaning on the switch and that cost me $107 (sorry i pretty sure everything in below $150).

As for the lens cap if you cant find 3rd party can purchase at the svc center (should be the same price https://www.shopatolympus.com.sg/accessories/lens-accessories/lc-62d.html )

Last edited:

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks guys for your good advice.

I did not drop the lens cap. Just took it out and put in my bag and the next moment found that little springs in the Center Pinch Snap on Front Cap came out and everything just fell apart. Strange.

Anyway thinking of getting one from lazada

https://www.lazada.sg/62mm-center-p...9.html?spm=a2o42.cart.0.0.6a0fd36ecfMAyx&mp=1

Thanks apex for sharing your experience. These days I do not use my camera so often and If it costs $200 + to repair I am not sure I want to spend that amount of money.

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
Went down to the service centre today and they told me that the shutter is spoilt and the repair costs was $400. They offered a trade in for the EM 5 mark II for about $1200 but I declined the repair and the trade in. Am I right to think that a repaired shutter for $400 is not worth it?

Quite disappointed that the EM5 I bought in June 2014 lasted just about 3 years 4 months or so.

Any suggestion on what I should do? I still have my 12 -40 mm f/2.8 Pro lens which is still workable. How much would it be worth on the 2nd hand market?

Or maybe I get cheaper Em 10 body to go with the lens? Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Last edited:

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Went down to the service centre today and they told me that the shutter is spoilt and the repair costs was $400. They offered a trade in for the EM 5 mark II for about $1200 but I declined the repair and the trade in. Am I right to think that a repaired shutter for $400 is not worth it?

Quite disappointed that the EM5 I bought in June 2014 lasted just about 3 years 4 months or so.

Any suggestion on what I should do? I still have my 12 -40 mm f/2.8 Pro lens which is still workable. How much would it be worth on the 2nd hand market?

Or maybe I get cheaper Em 10 body to go with the lens? Appreciate any advice. Thanks
Why not get another EM5 since you like the body. There are a few on Buy & Sell thread some as low as $400. You can even get a 2nd hand EM5II 2nd hand.