Ellenborough Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

ransoma22

Mar 31, 2002
KTV Lounge Hall
Wonder if anyone still remember this market situated just beside Singapore River...
still remember vividly that I used to patronize that market to makan when i was very young.....

It no longer than and had been demolised, if i not wrong, it should be location of the current new parliament house....

Wonder if anyone still remember this market situated just beside Singapore River...
still remember vividly that I used to patronize that market to makan when i was very young.....

It no longer than and had been demolised, if i not wrong, it should be location of the current new parliament house....

It is now Swissôtel Merchant Court, not the new Parliament House.. :)

The site of the old Ellenborough Market should be at SOHO@Central, located on the south bank of upper Boat Quay. Definitely not the Swissôtel Merchant Court location.

I believe the loc should be the new Central shopping mall where clarke quay mrt is

i believe the old location of the 'dry goods' market is along side new bridge road, just before the singapore river. those high rise hdb blocks were next to the river, commanding an excellent view of the fort canning park and the river. no wonder it had to go when clark quay and its neighbouring precincts were being redeveloped.

I believe the loc should be the new Central shopping mall where clarke quay mrt is

No, not the new parliament house. Roughly between the Merchant Court Hotel and SOHO@Central, as someone mentioned earlier. Long before it shifted to the Jurong Port Rd, the fish wholesale market was next to Ellenborough Market, just beside the Singapore River where all the fishing trawlers, the majority of which from Indonesia beth beside it to unload their catch. Those days, the river stink especially at low tide and Ellenborough Market used to be crowded with the coolies enjoying their meals at the food stalls there.

Scouring through National Pictures Archives of Singapore and found this picture....
u guys are right..
Guess i have mix up a hawker centre that used to stand around Empress Place & New parliament...really forgotten the name of it...:think:

Pictures Courtesy of PICAS...
http://picas.nhb.gov.sg/picas/publi...rch=ellenborough market&pageNumber=6&total=66

Status
Not open for further replies.