Elite 5400 vs Coolscan V Ed


Status
Not open for further replies.

sdx4670r

New Member
Apr 17, 2004
49
0
0
47
Hi Guys,

Need second opinon on these two scanner. I think Minolta is a bit more expensive than the Nikon. Not sure if the quality is much2 better. If the cost is not an issue which one would you choose ?..

Thanks ..
 

forbytes

Senior Member
Jun 2, 2003
898
0
16
West, Singapore
forbytes.clubsnap.org
sdx4670r said:
Hi Guys,

Need second opinon on these two scanner. I think Minolta is a bit more expensive than the Nikon. Not sure if the quality is much2 better. If the cost is not an issue which one would you choose ?..

Thanks ..
I would say Nikon Coolscan V is the first choice then Minolta Scan Elite 5400 in general. But if you want to have more pixels (for blow up purposes, size greater than A3) and firewire.

There is 1 attachment in Coolscan V that I love is the Roll film adapter. It is able to aid you batch scan all 36 exposures provided the negative/slides are uncut. There is a bug in the software which requires you to pre-define the type of medium used in scanning like negative/positive. Wrong input results in misaligned images. I do not know if they have cleared this bug by now.
 

sdx4670r

New Member
Apr 17, 2004
49
0
0
47
forbytes said:
I would say Nikon Coolscan V is the first choice then Minolta Scan Elite 5400 in general. But if you want to have more pixels (for blow up purposes, size greater than A3) and firewire.

There is 1 attachment in Coolscan V that I love is the Roll film adapter. It is able to aid you batch scan all 36 exposures provided the negative/slides are uncut. There is a bug in the software which requires you to pre-define the type of medium used in scanning like negative/positive. Wrong input results in misaligned images. I do not know if they have cleared this bug by now.
Thanks bro, are you using the V yourself ? just wondering how convenient to use and black and white quality.

Thanks ..
 

forbytes

Senior Member
Jun 2, 2003
898
0
16
West, Singapore
forbytes.clubsnap.org
sdx4670r said:
Thanks bro, are you using the V yourself ? just wondering how convenient to use and black and white quality.

Thanks ..
Sorry, I am using 5400. :) If I am not mistaken, do not turn on ICE for black and white. If got dust must manually remove them. If ICE is not important than the new Scan Dual IV is the best film scanner.
 

locksley

New Member
Jan 26, 2004
565
0
0
41
Central Area
Hi Guys

May I know how much for both scanner ?


thanks
 

sdx4670r

New Member
Apr 17, 2004
49
0
0
47
forbytes said:
Sorry, I am using 5400. :) If I am not mistaken, do not turn on ICE for black and white. If got dust must manually remove them. If ICE is not important than the new Scan Dual IV is the best film scanner.
:confused: I thought with ICE, no need to remove dust already :sweat: That's why I'm looking for 5400 or V..But why you say "must" for black and white??? I will be shooting BnW most of the time....
 

sdx4670r

New Member
Apr 17, 2004
49
0
0
47
locksley said:
Hi Guys

May I know how much for both scanner ?


thanks
I think is about USD 600-700, I haven't check the price at local shop ?..Are you thinking to get one ?? maybe buy two can nego cheaper.. :think:
 

forbytes

Senior Member
Jun 2, 2003
898
0
16
West, Singapore
forbytes.clubsnap.org
sdx4670r said:
:confused: I thought with ICE, no need to remove dust already :sweat: That's why I'm looking for 5400 or V..But why you say "must" for black and white??? I will be shooting BnW most of the time....
ICE do not work well with black and white. Quote from Minolta Scan Elite 5400 Manual. Copyright belong to Konica Minolta.

"Digital ICE cannot be used with Kodak Kodachrome film or traditional silver-halide black and white films. Special black and white films that are designed to be developed in a C-41 or equivalent color process, Kodak Select Black & White 400, Kodak T400CN or Ilford XP2 Super, can be processed with the Digital ICE function. These films should be scanned with the color-negative film-type setting. Results cannot be guarantied with other types of black and white film."

For other types of black and white film, perhaps you can try them first using the showroom set in Minolta Showroom at Funan level 6. If it works then consider 5400 else forget about it. :)
 

locksley

New Member
Jan 26, 2004
565
0
0
41
Central Area
Thanks forbytes

sdx4670r:
I dun think I can afford it leh.
Currently, using my canon flat scanner.
Abit sian cos have to scan one by one.
 

forbytes

Senior Member
Jun 2, 2003
898
0
16
West, Singapore
forbytes.clubsnap.org
Self scanning takes time. Better workflow can shorten the post processing. Alternatively, get commercial people to do. They are all over Singapore. Can cost as cheap as $2.50 to $6 per roll. Common complaints are colours not accurate, image not sharp, image too grainy. Try their services first and do the judging yourself. They are cheap, so what is there to complaint? ;)
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
if u r getting a 5400, i suggest u order thru the net. the price from the shops here r too high. buy from US + shipping still cheaper than $1700.

i was contemplating to buy it too but found that if i order from US reputable shops, it comes out to be around $1500+. worth the hassle in my opinion. besides, they offer 30 days money back guarantee if u r not satisfied.

if u r getting the coolscan V, get it here.
 

sdx4670r

New Member
Apr 17, 2004
49
0
0
47
Thanks Forbytes and Piper for the info...By the way where to get the scanner for best price ?..CP is more ex I believe.,..
 

alangoh

Member
Jul 3, 2003
258
3
18
Singapore
Visit site
I have a Coolscan V for sale a while ago, which is still available.

p/s: Your mailbox was full.
 

sdx4670r

New Member
Apr 17, 2004
49
0
0
47
alangoh said:
I have a Coolscan V for sale a while ago, which is still available.

p/s: Your mailbox was full.
Yaa, I think I Pm you also, does it come with original packaging and warranty ?? pm me..thanks.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.