Elinchrome 400w Studio Lights On Review

Ashok

Apr 29, 2009
Tiong Bahru
Kindy advise me, the D-light Elinchrome 400w studio lights is a good set or value to buy at $1470 at Cathay Studio. Is a good start up for studio photography to learn on the basics of lightings. Pls do send in your comments would like to know more on this prduct or could recommend me other studio lightings beside Bowens. Thanks for helping me.

The D-lite is a good introduction set, yes. The new "D-lite it" sets offer great specification for entry level gear, and for example represents better value than the old EL Elinchroms and arguably the FX units as well.

The key is compatibility with the full range of Elinchrom, Prolinca and third party accessories.

Whether you need a set of studio lights or not, is a different matter though; that's something only you can answer :)

Hi, many thanks for your reply....

I am a long time supporter of D-Lite 4 kit. Bought Jan 09 and it has never fail me in any assignments... It has a cooling fan (newer model) over the D-Lite 2 kit which is 200W. A good price to pay for a semi-pro lights in disguise of a plastic body.

After I bought the D-Lite 4 kit, I bought an old EL 500 as backup, both compliments each others.

YOu may also wanna check with our member ''affiend'' for his Jinbei lights accessories have Elinchrom mount for softboxes and some light shaping tools...

Cheers :)

Last edited:
The D-Lite kit is excellent not only for starters but even pro looking for back-up or just extra strobes – Highly recommended. This new IT series is even better.

To all my friends here thanks a million for your feedbacks will purchase one soon, God Bless.

Just FYI, as far as I know the fan is not a distinction between the 2 and 4, but a distinction between generations. The original D-Lite didn't have the fan, the second generation did, and the third generation has the Intelligent Trigger.

I don't have the Skyport Eco that comes with the D-Lite it but it's straightforward to use; I have the more advanced Skyport Speed that I thought wouldn't be that user-friendly given it has no LCD panel, etc etc, but it's all pretty straightforward.

Thanks again for your information, im not sure in studio light terms, yet to get more knowledge on it, well personal review, do they produce correct color temperature stated 5500 K. Is this correct ? Well should i go for it ? Thanks Jed, saw your website photos great man. Your great man... Cheers

You should get reasonable colour accuracy from them, yes. And I'd say better than (although I haven't done tests), something older designed in the pre-digital era like the EL Classics.

I have an old Prolinca head that I suppose you could consider a rough equivalent of the d-lite series in terms of being budget Elinchrom. The features were dumbed down/control was simpler, but the light quality was equivalent to the EL heads I was using alongside them.

Certainly the d-lite should be good enough in that regard until you start to spend a lot more money and colour and voltage stability become major concerns.