Elinchrom set: Why only 1 Sync cable is provided?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipper

May 27, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Browsing thru the elinchrom set Style FX 400 Two-To-GO set and noticed only 1 Sync cable (5m) is provided. Why is it so huh?

Sorry nvr touch studio lighting b4,.. just curious why only 1 sync cable is provided when there are 2 head sets for the package?? :dunno:

zipper said:
Browsing thru the elinchrom set Style FX 400 Two-To-GO set and noticed only 1 Sync cable (5m) is provided. Why is it so huh?

Sorry nvr touch studio lighting b4,.. just curious why only 1 sync cable is provided when there are 2 head sets for the package?? :dunno:

cos most camera can only accept 1 or none by default.

1 link to your camera, will trigger the other one wirelessly, if its on.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
cos most camera can only accept 1 or none by default.

1 link to your camera, will trigger the other one wirelessly, if its on.

Thanks.

:embrass:

OIC... so the sync cable is to link the camera to one of the flash... and the second will triggered wirelessly by the 1st flash? :dunno: was trying to search for some schematic diagram on how to set up such devices... but could not locate one... and could not find any details from the elinchrom site...

so the Style FX set has the "wireless" features?

Camera ------synccord------1 Elinchrom Flash.

2nd Elinchrom set to slave on.

The flash blast from the first flash will trigger the second flash to also fire.

zipper said:
Thanks.

OIC... so the sync cable is to link the camera to one of the flash... and the second will triggered wirelessly by the 1st flash? :dunno: was trying to search for some schematic diagram on how to set up such devices... but could not locate one... and could not find any details from the elinchrom site...

zipper said:
Thanks.

its the same for all studio strobes, all of them have an IR receiver which will detect light and fire. u can even use your camera's built in flash to trigger both.

vince123123 said:
Camera ------synccord------1 Elinchrom Flash.

2nd Elinchrom set to slave on.

The flash blast from the first flash will trigger the second flash to also fire.

Thanks.

Sorry for asking stupid questions... :embrass:

I have another question...

I don't seem to be able to figure how to set to the slave mode leh...

I copied the power control of the Style FX and posted here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44999790@N00/107036293/

Not a problem, thats the idea of a forums - to be able to ask stupid questions - not everyone here will scold you for asking stupid questions and think that they know everything so everyone else must know everything :)

I've not used your model before, but from what I see, the control is labelled in your photograph as "Photocell On/Off" -switching it to "ON" should enable the slave mode. Try it and let me know if it doesn't work.

By the way, nice flash you have there - digital output some more :)

zipper said:
Thanks.

Sorry for asking stupid questions... :embrass:

I have another question...

I don't seem to be able to figure how to set to the slave mode leh...

I copied the power control of the Style FX and posted here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44999790@N00/107036293/

vince123123 said:
Not a problem, thats the idea of a forums - to be able to ask stupid questions - not everyone here will scold you for asking stupid questions and think that they know everything so everyone else must know everything :)

I've not used your model before, but from what I see, the control is labelled in your photograph as "Photocell On/Off" -switching it to "ON" should enable the slave mode. Try it and let me know if it doesn't work.

By the way, nice flash you have there - digital output some more :)

Thanks. YOU ARE RIGHT! The photocell is called Slave cell, too...

I found the user guide for this model and the manual uses "Slave cell" instead of Photocell... hehe..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44999790@N00/107042132/

By the way, I did not own this unit... was very much interested in this and just doing my homework to get to know more before burning a hole in my pocket.... ;p

Thanks a lot for your kindness to answer my questions... appreciate that...:thumbsup:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
its the same for all studio strobes, all of them have an IR receiver which will detect light and fire. u can even use your camera's built in flash to trigger both.

Thanks.. just noticed your reply... hmm... did not see it just now...

Appreciate your help. :thumbsup:

By the way, is Pocket Wizard Plus (transmitter + receiver ) of any use then (besides the longer range)..?

Ah, how much were you quoted for this flash?

zipper said:
Thanks. YOU ARE RIGHT! The photocell is called Slave cell, too...

I found the user guide for this model and the manual uses "Slave cell" instead of Photocell... hehe..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44999790@N00/107042132/

By the way, I did not own this unit... was very much interested in this and just doing my homework to get to know more before burning a hole in my pocket.... ;p

Thanks a lot for your kindness to answer my questions... appreciate that...:thumbsup:

vince123123 said:
Ah, how much were you quoted for this flash?

asked for e-quote from CP.. and have not received the reply yet.. however saw from their website, it is around S$2090... so i guess the actual price should be lower kua...

And got to know from CP... all are out of stock!!

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
cannot use built in flash. the preflash would have already trigger off the flashes..

zipper said:

HI,

Generally, you only need one sync cord is enough.

For the 2 studio lights to fire off together, push the button of "cell mode" on and both will fire off at the same time. That only sync cord can be plug into any of these 2 studio lights.

But it will be troublesome to have only 1 cord.

Supposing you were calibrating your lights A and B, you switch off light B, calibrate A. After A is done, you unplug the sync cord to plug into B, calibrate B (if let say B is 5 meters away, and you want to shoot near the subject) then unplug from B and plug back to A. If you need to shoot from another angle at B and light A is far away, you unplug your sync cord from A and plug it to B.

For some photographers, they would plug in 2 sync cord at A and B so that when you need to shoot from B, just go to B and take the sync cord from there.

If you got more budget, get a radio trigger or wireless trigger to trigger off the lights.

Hope you understand the explaination.

Regards,
Jack :)

+evenstar said:
cannot use built in flash. the preflash would have already trigger off the flashes..

You can trigger off the lightings by using bulit-in flash. Just cover up your bulit-in flash with a thick masking tape or black masking tape, when the bulit-in flash trigger off, the lightings will also fire off upon detecting the firing of built-in flash.

Without the masking tape, your bulit-in flash will make your subject more harsher and overexpose. With the masking tape on the built-in flash, the built-in flash wont throw all its lights onto the subject.

Regards,
Jack

+evenstar said:

for full documentation... please refer to the Del_CtrlnoAlt's FAQ on Studio Flash Photography... 2999 edition... :bsmilie:

anyway, its best to go to the camera setting, set the flash to manual, den 1/?? whichever lowest...

Honestly, I think you should have gotten 2 sync cords. Yes they came as 1 kit each head should have their own sync. cord.If you had bought them seperate you would have gotten 1 each. Did they come packaged as a kit or did they come packaged as 2 seperate heads. Usually, mono blocs come packaged seperately, therefore should also have sync cords for each head. So if that's the case did you get 1 or 2 power cords? Just my take on the situation. In my opinion, I think you were short changed. It is always to have a second sync cord as back-up just in case one fails. Trust me it is always good to have a back-up, because these things fail when you least expect them to.

hondasleeper said:
Honestly, I think you should have gotten 2 sync cords. Yes they came as 1 kit each head should have their own sync. cord.If you had bought them seperate you would have gotten 1 each. Did they come packaged as a kit or did they come packaged as 2 seperate heads. Usually, mono blocs come packaged seperately, therefore should also have sync cords for each head. So if that's the case did you get 1 or 2 power cords? Just my take on the situation. In my opinion, I think you were short changed. It is always to have a second sync cord as back-up just in case one fails. Trust me it is always good to have a back-up, because these things fail when you least expect them to.

I have not purchased the set.. was doing my basic homework prior getting it....

in fact, it is a package from Cathay Photo i was looking at.... and indeed only one sync cord is provided

http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/specialoffers/?p=2

It is safer to have only 1 sync cord as then only 1 user can use the flashes at any one time. This is to prevent 2 users shooting at the same time (or almost at the same time). If 2 shooters keep on shooting simutaneously, then the flashes can get a) overheated; b) cannot recycle quickly enough, thereby spoiling 1 of the shooters shots; c) the 2nd shooter shoots before the flashes are fully recycled, etc. - any and all of the above are possibilities. At the last studio shoot organised by D'Studiolabs, there were 6 of us shooting. Towards the end of the evening, almost all of us were shooting at such a rapid rate that one of the lights started smoking rather badly. Of course the evening then had to end then, rather sorrily. Hence, it may be safer to have only 1 sync cord. Of course, you can buy many other sync cords if you wish and have your friends shoot and shoot and end up like the situation I described.:nono:

syl said:
It is safer to have only 1 sync cord as then only 1 user can use the flashes at any one time. This is to prevent 2 users shooting at the same time (or almost at the same time). If 2 shooters keep on shooting simutaneously, then the flashes can get a) overheated; b) cannot recycle quickly enough, thereby spoiling 1 of the shooters shots; c) the 2nd shooter shoots before the flashes are fully recycled, etc. - any and all of the above are possibilities. At the last studio shoot organised by D'Studiolabs, there were 6 of us shooting. Towards the end of the evening, almost all of us were shooting at such a rapid rate that one of the lights started smoking rather badly. Of course the evening then had to end then, rather sorrily. Hence, it may be safer to have only 1 sync cord. Of course, you can buy many other sync cords if you wish and have your friends shoot and shoot and end up like the situation I described.:nono:

:sweat: ... wow.. so sorrie to hear that... and I will take note of that....

Status
Not open for further replies.