Elinchrom set: Why only 1 Sync cable is provided?

Status
Not open for further replies.
syl said:
It is safer to have only 1 sync cord as then only 1 user can use the flashes at any one time. This is to prevent 2 users shooting at the same time (or almost at the same time). If 2 shooters keep on shooting simutaneously, then the flashes can get a) overheated; b) cannot recycle quickly enough, thereby spoiling 1 of the shooters shots; c) the 2nd shooter shoots before the flashes are fully recycled, etc. - any and all of the above are possibilities. At the last studio shoot organised by D'Studiolabs, there were 6 of us shooting. Towards the end of the evening, almost all of us were shooting at such a rapid rate that one of the lights started smoking rather badly. Of course the evening then had to end then, rather sorrily. Hence, it may be safer to have only 1 sync cord. Of course, you can buy many other sync cords if you wish and have your friends shoot and shoot and end up like the situation I described.:nono:

If you are going to have 6 shooters, a continuous light source would make more sense. Of course if you have 6 shooters shooting at the same time, the strobes are going to be over worked. Now I just use Pocket Wizards, so only 1 person can shoot at a time both power packs have a receiver in them and the slave is turn off. So no one can set off the strobes. If you can afford them, wireless syncs are the way to go, it is safer, yo don't have another wire to trip over.

zipper said:
Browsing thru the elinchrom set Style FX 400 Two-To-GO set and noticed only 1 Sync cable (5m) is provided. Why is it so huh?

Sorry nvr touch studio lighting b4,.. just curious why only 1 sync cable is provided when there are 2 head sets for the package?? :dunno:

The best is using a wireless syncs, IR transmitter can trigger both or multiple flashes at the same time, just keep the sync cable for backup.

All modern flash units have built in photo cells, so 1 sync cable is enough, but you need spare cable as back up, I'm still using a 20 years old Bownes lights, don't have built in photo cells, so just have to buy some slave units.

Status
Not open for further replies.