elinchrom ranger and profoto acuteb

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumma

Jan 5, 2005
Oulu, Finland, Finland
www.wongliji.com
hello all,

i'm about to invest in a lighting system and i was just wondering if anyone has comments/reviews on these 2 models?
kinda leaning towards the ranger because it's slightly cheaper and offers 2 lights setup with 1 battery pack.
i will appreciate that comments will be strictly on these 2 models only.. :)

cheers

They are both pretty good systems to start with. But I prefer the light quality from ProFotos, they are just lovely and if you are looking to light studio portraiture work in fashion etc, ProFotos is the way to go. They are a bit pricey but their light quality on skin tones is just damn gorgeous. I use both systems myself but use my elinchroms to light the background and my profotos to light the model.

They are both pretty good systems to start with. But I prefer the light quality from ProFotos, they are just lovely and if you are looking to light studio portraiture work in fashion etc, ProFotos is the way to go. They are a bit pricey but their light quality on skin tones is just damn gorgeous. I use both systems myself but use my elinchroms to light the background and my profotos to light the model.

do u mind to share in detail what is ur setup or light modifiers that u are using? i'm also concerned with the light quality that comes out.
just wondering if there's anything i'm missing out if i choose either systems?

sorrie for this very noob qns. i'm aware that some sekonic light meters are able to trigger the profotos wirelessly, thus making light-metering less of a hassle. does the ranger have something like that too?

do u mind to share in detail what is ur setup or light modifiers that u are using? i'm also concerned with the light quality that comes out.
just wondering if there's anything i'm missing out if i choose either systems?

sorrie for this very noob qns. i'm aware that some sekonic light meters are able to trigger the profotos wirelessly, thus making light-metering less of a hassle. does the ranger have something like that too?

I have the ProFotos universal adapters so it allows me to adapt different light modifiers from different manufacturers. I have a 5ft Hensel Octagon that I use quite often as well as a medium size Photoflex Q39. Unfortunately beauty dishes and barn doors are not swappable.

The two systems have an extensive range of accessories which I think will meet most photographers' needs. I have to clarify that I am using monoblocs for the two systems and not the packs but the light modifiers will work for the respective systems.

Sekonic do make a radio transmitter that can trigger off wirelessly. For me, I just use a separate radio trigger to trigger off the lights when I am metering off the subject so that is not much of an issue with it.

Support wise, you should be in good hands as well for the 2 systems as ProFotos are carried by Shihro and Elinchrom by Cathay. At the end of the day they both are great systems and reliable. Its personal preference over one or the other. For me, I prefer the light quality of the ProFotos.

thanks! just a lil qns that popped out when i was reading. to adjust the power on the ranger is via press the up/down buttons right? i've always been using the knob kind. so how do u find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.