Elinchrom classic 3000 power pack syn problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yiyiyaya

Feb 16, 2007
Hi all,

Recently I bought a set of 2nd hand Elinchrom classic 3000 power pack, with 2 flashhead, but encountered a lot problem. Because the seller did not give me the synchronize cord, so I bought one from Cathay yesterday. the cord is connected to the Amphenol port on the pack and camera X port on camera, but the power pack failed to be connected. I measured the cord with my multimeter, it seems that the cord is okey. I tried to synchronize the power pack with my light meter using the same cord, the power pack was not synchronized again, therefore I guess maybe the synchronize problem is caused by the power pack, or the setting of the power pack. Any one have experience of using this power pack, please kindly give me some advice. :)

Hi all,

Recently I bought a set of 2nd hand Elinchrom classic 3000 power pack, with 2 flashhead, but encountered a lot problem. Because the seller did not give me the synchronize cord, so I bought one from Cathay yesterday. the cord is connected to the Amphenol port on the pack and camera X port on camera, but the power pack failed to be connected. I measured the cord with my multimeter, it seems that the cord is okey. I tried to synchronize the power pack with my light meter using the same cord, the power pack was not synchronized again, therefore I guess maybe the synchronize problem is caused by the power pack, or the setting of the power pack. Any one have experience of using this power pack, please kindly give me some advice. :)

One question did you try out the system before you make the purchase?If the seller did not provide the sync cord shows something's fishy with the pack. You mentioned the power pack
does not synchronised as in it failed to trigger the two flashheads.If that's true then the
powerpack is faulty.Your powerpack needs hospitalisation.

You should use wireless radio trigger instead, maybe it is the sync cord. To test whether it is working or not, use a test pen to trigger it. Did you try to a flash out? Could be the fuse...

You did not test the powerpack and the strobes before you bought?????????

Bring it for servicing to run a check throught everything. Something is wrong, and too bad, it did not appear to be the sync cord :(

One question did you try out the system before you make the purchase?If the seller did not provide the sync cord shows something's fishy with the pack. You mentioned the power pack
does not synchronised as in it failed to trigger the two flashheads.If that's true then the
powerpack is faulty.Your powerpack needs hospitalisation.

You should use wireless radio trigger instead, maybe it is the sync cord. To test whether it is working or not, use a test pen to trigger it. Did you try to a flash out? Could be the fuse...

You did not test the powerpack and the strobes before you bought?????????

Bring it for servicing to run a check throught everything. Something is wrong, and too bad, it did not appear to be the sync cord :(

thanks for all above suggestions, really appreciate your answers. when I bought this strobe, the seller briefly showed me how to connect the power pack and the flashhead, and manually triggered the flash with the test button on the power pack, he showed the max. and min. output. The seller did not trigger the strobe with camera, aiya! regret for my careless testing!

Mr. couleur mentioned about the "test pen", could you please kindly elaborate more about it.

I did a very rough test on the PC port on camera today, I put the probes on the terminal, when shutter closed, the resistance is large, it is a open circuit, when shutter opened, resistance is very small, it is a closed circuit, so i guess the PC port act like a short circuit when I pressed the shutter, am I right about this? Assume I guess right, can I just use a wire connect the terminals of the port on the power pack, once it connected, strobe should be fired? I think this is a very wild guess, but I scare this method could damage the pack.

Brother poet, where can I run a check through this power pack? Cathay?

Aiya! headache :confused:

Last edited:
You should try to contact the seller and get him/her to resolve this. Despite what he/she might say, if there's any honor, he/she should try to resolve this.

Yes, Cathay.

Alternatively, go wireless. It's a LOT more convenient in the long run.

Happy New Year.

if the power pack can manually trigger by test fire button, it shouldn't be a big issue, you can connect the syn cord to the power pack when it is on, at the socket sync cord connected to the camera, the PC terminal, you can see a tiny metal center pin and metal outer ring, just use a test pen or anything metal to short circle these to, it should trigger the flash.

if it doesn't fire, and you confirm the sync cord is working fine (you mention you have tested with multi meter), probably, the sync port at the power pack is malfunction, and in this case, you won't able to use radio trigger as well, since the received need to connect the power package via the sync port.

anyway, not to worry, this powerpack does come with a Built-In Slave, just switch it on, use your camera flash to trigger it, make sure your flash is set at manual mode with lowest flash power, else the pre flash will trigger the studio light prematurely, it is working fine, you can use the camera flash to trigger the studio light now or just get a IR flash trigger.

hope this help.

if the power pack can manually trigger by test fire button, it shouldn't be a big issue, you can connect the syn cord to the power pack when it is on, at the socket sync cord connected to the camera, the PC terminal, you can see a tiny metal center pin and metal outer ring, just use a test pen or anything metal to short circle these to, it should trigger the flash.

if it doesn't fire, and you confirm the sync cord is working fine (you mention you have tested with multi meter), probably, the sync port at the power pack is malfunction, and in this case, you won't able to use radio trigger as well, since the received need to connect the power package via the sync port.

anyway, not to worry, this powerpack does come with a Built-In Slave, just switch it on, use your camera flash to trigger it, make sure your flash is set at manual mode with lowest flash power, else the pre flash will trigger the studio light prematurely, it is working fine, you can use the camera flash to trigger the studio light now or just get a IR flash trigger.

hope this help.

Good point Catchlights! I forgot about the plug. :embrass:

Happy New Year! :cheergal:

Once you've turned on the power pack, did you try to flash out? If it flashes, then the flash is working which means the fuse is alright. The probem might be the sync cord, to test this, plug the sync cord into the power pack and insert a test pen on the end of the cord (the one that connectes to the camera/ cell ball). If it flashes, this means the cord is alright, then it might be the camera's plug.

You should get a wireless shutter trigger, I recommend you buy it online at Harvest One. Gadgetinfinity.com. The commercial studio i used to work with uses all of it, it isn't neccesairly to purchase the expensive elinchrom skyport, it works the same. Plus this is radio, it works outdoor too, unless you have more power packs then you will have to sync it with the cell. Heres another tip, if its outdoor with cell on, you might have difficulties trying to syncronize the other power pack, so what you do, cut out a card board and mask the ambient from reaching the cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.