elements .

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the first time I'm posting something here.Just tryna get feedback for this photo I took some months ago. I've only been exploring much into photography earlier this year.So yeahh.

:D

IMG_5771bcopyaa400.jpg

Chinese Garden.

Was wondering whether black and white suits this picture best.
The original colours were quite dull to me,the sky wasnt that blue..and the water was a bit murky.
Other technical aspects you might want to add?

=/

Last edited:
Read the rules first...

1 pic per week.

Add a write up on what you need critique on.

The leading lines are leading me to the centre of the shot, but there's nothing there to hold my attention. The ripples in the water at the bottom left is a lil distracting IMO.

The sky does look nice in BnW, but you may wish to increase the contrast a lil more to make it more dramatic. Do read up on rules of thirds for a better framing idea.

Its a good idea to try out B&W for photos which are otherwise lacking in colours. You'd amazed of what tones can do to your photos. That said...... this is really a boring photo. For B&W photos to work, you've got to have something in the photo that speaks effectively in tones. At the moment, its just a photo of a scene you see turned B&W, nothing much. Even the perspective is regimented. There is simply, nothing to hold the viewer's attention. Perhaps a not so straight on perspective might have worked better.

Its a good idea to try out B&W for photos which are otherwise lacking in colours. You'd amazed of what tones can do to your photos. That said...... this is really a boring photo. For B&W photos to work, you've got to have something in the photo that speaks effectively in tones. At the moment, its just a photo of a scene you see turned B&W, nothing much. Even the perspective is regimented. There is simply, nothing to hold the viewer's attention. Perhaps a not so straight on perspective might have worked better.

I would pay attention to the sentence in bold. Thats a very good piece of advice.

Show more of the sky OR the foreground, in landscape mode preferred to illustrate the vastness of nature. Sometimes less is more. :)

Keep shooting.

I would very much like to know why you titled it 'elements'?

good attempt.

the sky is good. nice clouds details.

the trees however are clumpy, details poorly resolved, and that is prob due to the light being poor and not for your processing.

The water is good too, esp the ripples.

however the composition is too balanced, too centred and thus static and boring. eg just try say crop away 2/3 of the waters from the bottom, bring the horizon low and emphasising the sky. I think it is a much better shot. But the sky is still rather empty despite the interesting cloud. A bird in flight would probably make it, the clumpy trees notwithstanding.

overall, it is a good exercise, but there is only so much u can do in processing if the capture is not there in the first place. Try to capture it right in the first place which admittedly is not always possible.

sometimes, less is more. when i see the picture, i feel nothing for the reflections. in fact i find myself questioning - why do you find them interesting?

like others have mentioned, learn to convert to blackandwhite (or shoot in blackandwhite with conversion in mind as end result) for a reason. going through the motions blindly is not going to help you any.

what grabbed my attention in this shot was not the reflections, nor the massive smattering of foliage. what grabbed my attention was the fact that there was a tree playing with the clouds at the top right corner. the fact that the cloud arrangement actually works in synchro with the tree shape, that i find interesting, not a common sight.. and that would be what i would have shot, just switched to a longer focal length, and focused on making that the central subject. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.