Elements and Groups in Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCoolBeer

Apr 10, 2004
Hi. I'm just wondering about the term of elements and groups in a lens. And would love to know about it more. Does the number of elements and groups lesser the better or the more the merrier? I doubt so right? Or maybe I might be wrong.

For example, lets say there are 2 lenses, same zoom, 28mm to 80mm both have the same f-stop. One has 7 elements 5 groups and another is 9 elements and 6 groups. Which is better? Maybe this might be a bad example.

Please enlighten me. Thanks. :)

More elements means that the lens engineers used more elements to correct the abbverations present in the design. However, with certain lens designs, you can almost remove all the abbverations using less elements. More elements however, make the lens more prone to flaring, ghosting as there are more internal surfaces to reflect off. It also makes it heavier. Hence less elements the better especially when the design managed to correct the abbveration within a few elements.

I always think the less the better. Cheaper + less weight + less complex.

so atually i have always seen that the lens magazine tells the lens group and elements, to what use it is to us actually? to show how much flare reduced or the weight?

so atually i have always seen that the lens magazine tells the lens group and elements, to what use it is to us actually? to show how much flare reduced or the weight?

The info is for the enthusiasts, to turn them on.

Just like car reviews will tell you about the engine technology used (VANOS, VVIT, etc). To the average buyer, what's under the hood is not important, the proof is in the test drive.

actually nowadays the direct correlation is no longer that reliable? one with less glass may be better, but not always. ultimately each lens performance is judged by the review of the model itself, and knowing the no. of elements and groups serve no purpose, isn;t it?

I am not sure but assuming all lens are mede equal, would having more lens result in more chance in distortion, alingment problem, less light pass throug, etc?

I am not sure but assuming all lens are mede equal, would having more lens result in more chance in distortion, alingment problem, less light pass throug, etc?

to avoid confusion, when you say lens, you are talking about lens elements, rite?

the answer is the elements are not make equal. they are sometimes added or replaced to reduce distortion or other alignment issues.

Zoossh,
yes I mean lens elements. Thanks for your explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.