Electronic Dry Box

narneless

Nov 22, 2012
Bukit Gombak
Hi can I ask if it is a must get a Dry box to store my camera? What will happen if I just place it on my table top?

Hi can I ask if it is a must get a Dry box to store my camera? What will happen if I just place it on my table top?

It will quickly develop fungus in the lens/sensor unless you regularly take it out into the sun (3-5 times a week).

narneless said:

You risk fungi growth in your equipment.

Bring it out to the sun as in put under the sun? I might use it like 4-6 times a week fyi
Btw I am going to get the nikon d3200 where should I get? Sitex sell with tripod,cleaning kit,2x16gb memory card,electronic dry box,etc.
When I purchase a DSLR will they provide those stuff? Any place to recommend where should I buy?

Its not a must..but it is recommended to have.

Next. U need to do your own research. ask around the shops for their latest price n offering. We have a thread for which shops to go. The recommended shops.

Good luck!

narneless said:
Bring it out to the sun as in put under the sun? I might use it like 4-6 times a week fyi
Btw I am going to get the nikon d3200 where should I get? Sitex sell with tripod,cleaning kit,2x16gb memory card,electronic dry box,etc.
When I purchase a DSLR will they provide those stuff? Any place to recommend where should I buy?

We have a priceguide with recommended shops for a reason. Also, in general, sitex/comex/yadda yadda is a lousy place to buy. The "freebies" usually suck and are old stock for clearance

The dry box need how many litre do I need if I only need to keep a body and 3 lens?

you probably can do it one month, two months, three months, than later become once a week..... once a month...... once a blue moon...

than we will see you post a new thread asking what to do when camera and lenses got fungus....

The dry box need how many litre do I need if I only need to keep a body and 3 lens?

forget about dry box, get a dry cabinet instead, a 30L is good enough, you have three lenses and one body, spending 10% of it cost to get dry cabinet is not too much, remember, the cost of cleaning fungus for three lenses and one body will cost more than two dry cabinets.

If you decide to get a dry cabinet, make sure you get one from a well-established brand with good aftersales service i.e. warranty, spare parts etc. ;)

Any brand recommendation,I might get my camera from TK Foto

It's advisable to get one. Otherwise you will have to spend money cleaning your camera and lenses.

Wow, with this question which has been asked many times, and 4 posts, I thought some punk troublemaker will come in to tell you to do a search first instead of being spoonfed! (Ok no offence, nameless, wasn't targeting at you :) )

Well, to your question, it depends. I know of many who buy cameras and they never get a dry box. Even though it's not expensive for a small one, the whole idea of getting a "box" has some resistance to it. Perhaps it's something so new to them and because it still does take up some space.

If you use your camera quite often, ie bringing it out, there's a good chance fungal growth is almost impossible. I have friends who simply put their cams in their living rooms and use them only when they need to. From what I see, there are no issues. It's really hard for anyone to tell when fungus will grow. Perhaps possibly when you don't use the cams for long periods and just chuck it aside in some corner.

I moved here from Boston 2 months ago. Simply to protect my investment (5DM3, 7D, L series 16-35, 24-70 70-200, 100, 85 etc) I purchased a professional dry cabinet 100L. Wasn't outrageous and I have piece of mind.
So if you're going to spend and invest in equipment, you need to invest to protect it ...... dry box, camera insurance etc.