Electricity bills to fall 25%

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
Continue from previous thread
Electricity bills up 21%

It's a good news, but now the oil price go as low as US$45.75, but they are pledge to $92.99 (US$62) per barrel instead? Seem like end user/public are at the losing end most of the time, whether the oil price raise or slide.

www.straitstimes.com said:
Electricity bills to fall 25%
ELECTRICITY tariffs for households will be cut by about 25 per cent for January to March, in line with lower fuel oil prices.

Households will pay 22.93 cents per kilowatt hour for the next quarter, from the current 30.45 cents following October's sharp 21 per cent spike.
This the first fall since April last year sharper than first since April 2007, following a 40 per cent slide in fuel oil prices, which the price of electricity here is pegged to.
For the next quarter, tariffs are pegged to a lower forward fuel oil price of $92.99 per barrel, against $155.14 per barrel for this quarter, said the Energy Market Authority (EMA) on Thursday.
Fuel costs make up more than half of electricity production costs and prices.
Fuel oil and natural gas are used to produce electricity. Although 80 per cent of Singapore's electricity is powered by natural gas, the price of electricity it pegged to that of fuel oil because there is no natural gas benchmark in the Asian market.
There was a public outcry over the October hike which came even as crude oil prices here slipped to US$50 a barrel levels. There was much criticism on the way electricity prices are calculated here.
The EMA is currently studying other ways of pricing electricity and is expected o release its findings in the middle of next year.
Oil prices sank further in Asian trade on Thursday, falling below US$46 a barrel at multi-year lows in a market dominated by declining demand and dismal economic news, analysts said.
New York's main futures contract, light sweet crude for January delivery, fell 82 cents to US$45.97 a barrel, off a low of US$45.75 on Wednesday The electricity tariff is reviewed quarterly and adjusted accordingly in line with the fluctuation in the electricity cost.

Last edited:
what to do.......can only say that whoever working in there as buyer is not doing his/her job properly...

gotta pay more for stable price. so just pay more loh. surely u dun like sweet surprises like a sudden drop in charges!? den energy suppliers have to hire more staff to calculate different pricing structures more often. staff very costly wan u know... :p

gotta pay more for stable price. so just pay more loh. surely u dun like sweet surprises like a sudden drop in charges!? den energy suppliers have to hire more staff to calculate different pricing structures more often. staff very costly wan u know... :p

I'd rather they employ more ppl....papers already stated that next year Graduates may not even have a job or will have great difficulty in finding their wanted/loved jobs...

Seem like the price is close to this year Jan price, still not as low as last year.

Apr 07 $0.1888/kwh
Jul 07 $0.2052/kwh
Oct 07 $0.2138/kwh
Jan 08 $0.2262/kwh
Apr 08 $0.2388/kwh
Jul 08 $0.2507/kwh
Oct 08 $0.3045/kwh
Jan 09 $ 0.2293/kwh

I'd rather they employ more ppl....papers already stated that next year Graduates may not even have a job or will have great difficulty in finding their wanted/loved jobs...

sadly, u (& me) dun have to executive powers to choose. the fat cats need more $$ in lean times. they are a commercial entity, dun need to exercise corporate social responsiblilty wan just earn $$ can liao. ;(

they were courted to slaughter cash cows on this tiny dot? :rolleyes:

when the world is fair. prices are fair.
so what is fair?

if you want the world to be fair, remember that it can never be. some people are already born with something less, some people are born with something more. wanting the world to be fair is like saying you want bambi to turn into godzilla. i rest my case. last post on the matter.

so what is fair?

if you want the world to be fair, remember that it can never be. some people are already born with something less, some people are born with something more. wanting the world to be fair is like saying you want bambi to turn into godzilla. i rest my case. last post on the matter.

true lah, obviously not assuming i can read ur mind for a start? :think: fair or not? ;)

but a fall of 25% is sweet to say the least. ;p

Up also like tat. Down also like tat loh.

First say use gas to reduce dependency on oil. Now say no gas price so use oil price. Next they tell you sell liao no more control when it gets out of control. :D

Lightning lor. LOL joking...

But if u live private house can install solar panels.

well, i don't. though i recently bought a solar powered lamp from Ikea, not bright, but flood well. :lovegrin:

good for every one, cheers.:)

Good lor, when the price rises by 21% a few mths back, my mum was constantly nagging at me on how i shld save electricity blah blah blah.... Also not as if i was like wasting electricity at all?? In fact i think i use the least electricity at home lor, coz i constantly "on the go one" aka "always not at home"!

Now i guess she can stop nagging liao lor, since its even cheaper than before the increase... Actually effectively, the deecrease is more than 25% coz 25% is base on the aft 21% increase a few mths back... if i did not calculate wrongly, u shld be paying abt 9% lesser than before the increase....

They charge me extra by estimate and charge the new pricing. ($0.3)

When they read the meter, they pay me back the diff on the old pricing ($0.25)

WTH!

Anyway, their billing system also not that good. Got $ in bank n yet, no deduction. Wait they fine me, I sure :angry: at them. Heng never kenna fine else...... :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.