Elections or 'People's Council' ?

You say

"discuss"

then you say

"shaddap and just shoot"

How like that?

The People's Elbow :)

jokes aside, by people's council i'm assuming you mean something like the politburo in communist systems.

Each system has its pros and cons.

for example, if you had free elections, the people has more say in what goes on. in a system like the communist politburo, the people have to take whatever the council gives them.

the benefit to the people in a country with free elections would mean that they have more liberties to do what they want, amongst other benefits. the drawback is that most of the time the government has to give in to what the people want, even if it's not in the interests of the nation. and if there is a change in the ruling party, most of the time you have many policy changes which could cause economic instability

the benefit of a council like the CCCP is that, you don't elect the members: they select from their stable of candidates. that means political stability because their ideology and policies can continue. if the power is used in a right way, you'll see the country flourishing. they can do what they want. but the drawback is that IF the party is corrupt, you'll see lots of nonsense and crackdowns on the citizens' rights to "freedom"

in an increasingly connected world, of course people will love to elect their own government; you can see that happening in China. BUT it comes with a price. no form of government is truly perfect. what you can only hope for is that the government you have, either elected or via a transfer of power, is able to strike a balance between prospering in the global economy and ensuring the welfare of their people

Ya, don't forget the wisdom of LHL. "All good things come with a price"

I would say the US system is good. People can elect and yet there is adequate check from Congress. But of course at time, gridlock is inevitable. "All good things come with a price" LOL

I would say the US system is good. People can elect and yet there is adequate check from Congress. But of course at time, gridlock is inevitable. "All good things come with a price" LOL

which is true. that's why i still kinda like the China CCCP system. right now they're proposing a lot of changes, although they'll never admit their mistakes which the Chinese people refuse to let go off.

well, every system is different, and it'll be hard to discuss every one of them in-depth

Suthep is just a front man. He plays the role of mob rabble rouser.
The elite Bangkok businessmen and retired generals behind him are the puppeteers.
Abhisit, urbane, well spoken and highly educated, unfortunately allows himself to be associated with Suthep, whose antics get more irrational by the day.

The whole idea of the recent protest is to sacrifice the innocent people who believe in his nonsense; and provoke the incumbent government to a violent suppression.
Or to provoke a violent clash on the streets of Bangkok with the pro-government supporters from the rural north and north-east.
Whereupon, the army steps in and has an excuse for a coup to overthrow the elected government.
They did not care if their own followers got injured or killed. That was the very intention. See how wicked and manipulative the mob leaders are, to their own supporters.

People's Council means NO elections. Not just now, but forever after this NO elections.
It means somebody stays in absolute power for the rest of his life.
Who appoints and approves the people who are chosen for this People's Council? See? At the end, this is about DICTATORSHIP.
This is not about democracy.
This is also not about protecting the interest of the monarchy, although that is always the lame excuse, in a naked power grab.

People's Council sounds chillingly like the Red Guards during PRC's cultural revolution.
There is nothing democratic about it.

Last edited:
it isn't politics, but how different types of political systems function. a difference altogether ;)

Elections.

Sincerely hope this 'people's council' doesn't come to fruition. If it comes true, i reckon Thailand will have to rewrite all its dictionaries to define Democracy as: the right to protest, attack Govt office and force a legitimate party off if the party one supports doesn't get elected.

Suthep should start by facing the charges of murder against him. This timing of him quitting his post to lead protests to 'save the country' is really so well picked that it coincided with the call for him to appear in court. Well done.

Some may argue that Yingluck is Thaksin's puppet, that ain't important in this context. Remember, if Yingluck's party wins, at least it won by elections and this is what defines a democracy. The people will pay the price of picking a party - that's just how a democracy goes.
Thaksin's efforts to make life better for the mass poor does pay off.

local context wise, U've to give *** a pat on the back on at least being a good loser in losing its GRC and the Opposition being a gentleman about it when they lost Potong Pasir back then.

I just discovered a Three letter word is banned here... haha. I'm learning something new every day!

A Four_letters word too.
"H**d" LOL

1st off... only Thai people decide for themselves what they want... we can only 'Armchair General' here.

2nd... call a spade, a spade... remove all pretends of saying Thailand is a Democracy. And if the KING is willing to take over and have a council to handle the country, so be it... its Thailand... not here.

Personal... this 'Rule by Council' thing is a big no no for me... if someone was to tell me he/she can and should decide Laws and how I can live my life... then that person better damn well show proof that he/she has the mandate of the people... A so call council made out of "Good" man... Suthep might as well just come out and said "Made out of My Friends"...

1st off... only Thai people decide for themselves what they want... we can only 'Armchair General' here.

2nd... call a spade, a spade... remove all pretends of saying Thailand is a Democracy. And if the KING is willing to take over and have a council to handle the country, so be it... its Thailand... not here.

Personal... this 'Rule by Council' thing is a big no no for me... if someone was to tell me he/she can and should decide Laws and how I can live my life... then that person better damn well show proof that he/she has the mandate of the people... A so call council made out of "Good" man... Suthep might as well just come out and said "Made out of My Friends"...

Mandate? LOL

i think what Uncle Ed is trying to get us to discuss the idea behind it, not the country that's going through shite now :think:

Elections.
People's Councils are only used to paint the dictatorship of a single party in some pseudo-democratic colors. It becomes a self-entertaining club of elitists and their supporters who finally have only their own benefits in mind. Such models have zero control and correction functions. How to get rid of such apparatchiks once the bum is in the chair? We saw it in Soviet Union and similar countries: welcomes with flowers, carried out with flowers (to their graves).
Democracy is a tough lesson to learn, no doubts. It does not work 'out of the books', it has a steep learning curve, it needs adjustments to local flavors and conditions. Countries who are currently in a different system will need a transition period. So to me it's not a question of 'If' but rather 'How' and 'When'.

This is an interesting subject. I agree no political system is perfect. I am even more certain that whatever introduced in Thailand about 'people's council' will ends up benefiting a small section of people. Both ways, the average and poor suffer. If they want a change, they need to totally remove everything. In computer, they call it formatting. China did it under Mao.

So, if that is not possible now, best to leave it status quo and work around it. At least the poor and average are surviving and given a better living condition than benefitting a few individuals.

has anyone heard of direct democracy?
it is what they practice in the Confœderatio Helvetica...
as a result in one Canton it is illegal to flush toilet after 8 pm