Oct 20, 2004
hougang...
whimsical.multiply.com
give some comments??

DSC01842copy.jpg

DSC01832copy.jpg

DSC01818copy.jpg

DSC01812copy.jpg

I have difficulty viewing the pics here.
whimsical : u can see the whole pic?

Welcome to clubsnap whimsical. Much better now that they are resized. I like the first picture best in your series and I guess it can be considered still life. The others look more towards the abstract side of the forum's theme but at the same time aren't abstract enough. You have some interesting ideas there with repetition and lines; but you need to move in closer and frame more tightly to bring out the patterns. At the moment the framing looks too unfocused and weak.

Tzuen said:
Welcome to clubsnap whimsical. Much better now that they are resized. I like the first picture best in your series and I guess it can be considered still life. The others look more towards the abstract side of the forum's theme but at the same time aren't abstract enough. You have some interesting ideas there with repetition and lines; but you need to move in closer and frame more tightly to bring out the patterns. At the moment the framing looks too unfocused and weak.

wah chim chim...anyway thanks for e comments...really appreciate them...wat u you mean by " You have some interesting ideas there with repetition and lines; but you need to move in closer and frame more tightly to bring out the patterns. "....sorrie ar...still new in this so dun really understand...and wats "framing looks too unfocused and weak."...i'm using DSC-P71 by the way,looking forward to change a camera but duno which to choose esp with budget constraint considering me still NSF $660 a mth aint impressive at all...

Hi Whimsical,

Here are some examples of what I mean, none of them are great photos but illustrate my point.

Here we have an idea of taking an abstract picture of rolls of cloth. The different colors and texture would make a good picture. The repeated rolls show repetition.

loose_frame.jpg

But after looking at the composition in the playback window, I realized that I tried to include too much in the photo, it looks more messy than anything else. So I looked and tried again.

tight_frame.jpg

By moving closer I isolated just 3 rolls of cloth, pick the ones with the same repeating pattern but with different colors. the texture of the cloth and the lines and curves of the folds look much more prominent and give more impact.

Here's another example. I wanted to try my hand at taking a street candid of kids at Merlion park. I noticed some kids playing with the painted lions. I liked the repetition of lions and the bright colors. I loved the expression of the kid and quickly took the shot. I used the center focus point and did not recompose.

framing_weak.jpg

The shot is ok but the framing was sloppy and not very focused. There is a lot of empty space at the top half of the frame and the little girl is lost among the lions. I waited for a bit and tried again.

framing_strong.jpg

By switching to a landscape format, the dull sky was largely eliminated and by putting this little girl at the end of the line of lions, the lions themselves lead your eye to her.

I hope this was helpful. :D I hope to see more of your photos soon.

Tzuen....i got wat u meaning le...hmmm i'll work on it hope my DSC P71 can work some little wonders b4 i get a serious camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.