Eh, help me fill in some blanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Actually, i'm thinking of building a heater for lenses.

I've more or less covered the design of the heater and also the control function.

Most likely the heater will not exceed 45degC, i've been thinking of the circuitry already... just that i only did my basics in electronics... not really that advance yet.

Scenario

Fogging occur when bringing camera from cold air con room to outdoor which is warm.
Fogging occur when bringing camera cold climate to warm room.
Fogging last from 5mins to 10mins.

So to solve the problem... we should make a heater to prevent fogging.

Help me fill in a few blanks... Anyway just for analysis. I'm only building 1 for myself to play 1st, will consider mass production if got ppl to market...

1) How fast do you wish the heater to remove the fog
a) Instant (high burst)
b) 10 secs
c) 30 secs
d) 60 secs (slow burst)

2) What type of power you prefer to tap on
a) USB
b) 4x 1.2v rechargable
c) 4x 1.5v alkaline
d) from camera source

3) Would you prefer
a) 1 removable for all lenses (Quick release)
b) semi permanent custom sizes for each lens
c) semi permanent 1 size fits all for each lens

a) Instant (high burst)
b) 10 secs
c) 30 secs
d) 60 secs (slow burst)

a) USB
b) 4x 1.2v rechargable
c) 4x 1.5v alkaline
d) from camera source

3) Would you prefer

Here's my suggestions:

1) 30 secs (If instant, with the sudden heatup of the lens, will it crack?)

2) 4x 1.2v rechargable (or mayb 4x 2v recharge?)

3) 1 removable for all lenses (Quick release) (Can consider perm one for prosumers?)

Roughly the heater will b of wat size? Something like 105 x 55 x 20 mm? LCD Screen?
Analog or digital controls?

Here's my suggestions:

1) 30 secs (If instant, with the sudden heatup of the lens, will it crack?)

2) 4x 1.2v rechargable (or mayb 4x 2v recharge?)

3) 1 removable for all lenses (Quick release) (Can consider perm one for prosumers?)

Roughly the heater will b of wat size? Something like 105 x 55 x 20 mm? LCD Screen?
Analog or digital controls?

i'm actually thinking of a wrap with velcro over... sensor with heater built into it, then cable to power source... oops... bloody hell must patent it now... reason its 5V, cos its fully digital control. :devil:

just heat the tip will do, mostly fog is only on front element... idea best of all, v2, built in intermitent timer...

anyway, i already got everything in hand liao... just thinking of what element to use only...

Here's a cheaper workaround... use a hairdryer to warm your stuff.

a) Instant (high burst)
b) 10 secs
c) 30 secs
d) 60 secs (slow burst)

a) USB
b) 4x 1.2v rechargable
c) 4x 1.5v alkaline
d) from camera source

3) Would you prefer

Answer liao. 3 out of 3 correct :) full mark!

:think: Use tiny heater strip and coil around lens cap or filter ring... :think:

I always thought my palm is the best to prevent fog by covering the lens front area fully before going into warmer place. :cool:

Bro, think of a heating cap replacing normal caps...

hint* Ni80Cr20 element wires...;)

when u become rich remember me....:cry:

Answer liao. 3 out of 3 correct :) full mark!

:think: Use tiny heater strip and coil around lens cap or filter ring... :think:

I always thought my palm is the best to prevent fog by covering the lens front area fully before going into warmer place. :cool:

dat day went cruise, aircon room cold, then the deck also cold, lens no fogging.

next morning dock at thailand, take out my lens, fog for 10 mins... tis gimme a resolution to fix this problem...

Bro, think of a heating cap replacing normal caps...

hint* Ni80Cr20 element wires...;)

when u become rich remember me....:cry:

bro i got plenty of those lah... but then again, filter fog, remove filter rite, front element fog how?

this time i thinking of using another type of element liao... hehe... secret weapon...

bro i got plenty of those lah... but then again, filter fog, remove filter rite, front element fog how?

this time i thinking of using another type of element liao... hehe... secret weapon...

Infrared heaters?:bsmilie:

yo DCA,

u forever coming out with new stunts man!

how abt something like a lens cap or hood, then have heating coils (think of mosquito coil pattern) on it. (only downside will be need to get diff sizes?)

then prob powered by camera or if possible have a batt compartment built in, so it becomes a stand alone device?

yo DCA,

u forever coming out with new stunts man!

how abt something like a lens cap or hood, then have heating coils (think of mosquito coil pattern) on it. (only downside will be need to get diff sizes?)

then prob powered by camera or if possible have a batt compartment built in, so it becomes a stand alone device?

normally my philosophy in designing is simple, make a product that can be used for all the things... not just for lenses, maybe other uses also can, so product is based on function.

If i make 1 for lens cap, 1st, the design is restricted to only camera, then it would be hard to place a sensor without touching the filter or front element, and it would be heavy on the front, althou i can do without a sensor, but it would be a problem... ya see, without sensor, i need to make a low power to prevent overheat, and if i do a high power with sensor, i can use it even in the coldest country, cos the lens would be heated up with temperature regulation... besides my idea is quite small, and can improve with size... so a full jacket is possible... hehe... its just about calculation.

(ppl like me is dangerous, cos i dun think about profits generation)

make a heater and blower la..on the way can make tempered glass for the lens...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

What about those electric blankets people use in winter ? Got small size one.
May not go down to very low voltage though. I think minimum is 12V (powered by car ciggy lighter ?).
I think if you try to connect heater element to USB, will draw too much current.

What about those electric blankets people use in winter ? Got small size one.
May not go down to very low voltage though. I think minimum is 12V (powered by car ciggy lighter ?).
I think if you try to connect heater element to USB, will draw too much current.

not really, cos i can manufacture heater based on any size i want, volt and watt, so just deciding voltage, and then i derive my use and give the watt will do.

i'm developing a sensor relay thats small enuff... roughly thumb size... then the heater approx would be at most a wristband size...

not really, cos i can manufacture heater based on any size i want, volt and watt, so just deciding voltage, and then i derive my use and give the watt will do.

i'm developing a sensor relay thats small enuff... roughly thumb size... then the heater approx would be at most a wristband size...

I'm more concerned about your power sources. The power required (in watts) will always be the same for a certain load, so if your voltage is very low (eg. 5V), then current drawn must be higher to provide the same power. Your power sources are all small batteries, dunno whether can tahan the high current.
Maybe can get some idea from those butane gas powered portable soldering irons. Butane gas canisters are small and can provide the heat you want more efficiently than electric heating elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.