EFS lenses on full frame bodies

Jennyfur80

Feb 17, 2010
Novena
hi, I am currently using a 500D with the EFS 18-55mm kit lens. If i were to get a full frame like 5D mk2 body, will the kit lens still be compatible. I came across an article that full frame should use only EF lenses.

Is this true? Tia.

i think you should follow the advice , Canon FF bodies not meant to fit DX lens, however , i doubt it will entirely not work even if you mount on it.

Normally it will just result in heavy vignetting meaning dark shadows around the edges and corners of your picture. But need the FF canon bro users to confirm what I have said :)

updates: Ahh kk , i retract my comments since a Canon FF user has commented, apologies !

Last edited:
for the 1D MKII x1.3 though, its a more special case.

Err I'll provide a bit more details here, it does not work because the rear element in EFS lenses stick out, hence it will poke the mirror if you try to mount it on a FF body (Canon even advertises that the rear part got rubber so that if you accidentally mount it on a FF body, it won't damage the camera), so it's a physical limitation, not so much a compatible or not issue

EF-S lenses are meant for the APS-C sensor which are smaller in size compared to the FF. So there will be problem with image quality like mentioned earlier...vignetting etc. Because the EF-S lenses protrude more deeper into the cameller's body, it will obstruct the prism movement as it flip up when the shuttle is activated. This is what I understand.

A ang mo had done the minor surgery on the 10-22mm , and used it on his 1DIII. Usable, but vignetting. Its a simple surgery to remove the part that canon added into the EFS. Do a google on the how to.

I almost fell off my chair reading the 1st post.
I think TS will be better off staying put on your 500D with kit lens.

Last edited:
i think if you don't understand the FF and crop bodies then i think its best to stick with a crop body as you are using...

no point changing to sth you are clueless about... unless you feel you have alot of money to spare, and even then its not exactly going to help your photography just by getting a 5D

Yes, there are people who have modified their EF-S lenses and successfully mounted them on FF and 1.3x crop bodies. I've modified a 18-55 for my 10D before.
But from what I understand, the rear element of the EFS lens is quite far into the body. So if you have a FF camera, the mirror will smash into the rear element since the mirror is also much bigger than the 1.6x crop ones.
FF cams are costly... better don't risk it. =)

Yes, there are people who have modified their EF-S lenses and successfully mounted them on FF and 1.3x crop bodies. I've modified a 18-55 for my 10D before.
But from what I understand, the rear element of the EFS lens is quite far into the body. So if you have a FF camera, the mirror will smash into the rear element since the mirror is also much bigger than the 1.6x crop ones.
FF cams are costly... better don't risk it. =)

That's what i thought so too. I was half expecting Reportage to tell us the good news that 1DIII can mount EF-S Lens? That would be great.

Sidetrack abit, anyone ever mounted an EF-S lens in 1.3x or FF bodies without mod? Any damage?

those interested in the mod can take a look at this thread, pretty informative.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/863195/0

without mod, it is physically impossibe to fit the EF-S lens on a normal EF mount camera due to the extra rubber protrusion canon build onto the EF-S lens.

With the 5dmk2's resolving power, you should be looking at using "good" glass to pair it with.

Thank you guys for the info ;). My cousin plans to lend me his 5D mkii to play around 1st but didn't want to lend me his L lens cos they are his darlings :( hmm..looks like its a good excuse to borrow his EF lenses then. :) heee

Thank you guys for the info ;). My cousin plans to lend me his 5D mkii to play around 1st but didn't want to lend me his L lens cos they are his darlings :( hmm..looks like its a good excuse to borrow his EF lenses then. :) heee

lol. such a nice cousin. haha.

provide body but don't provide lens.

hehe