Efficiency of our trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USM

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
How do you find the efficiency of MRT trains.

very efficient, the passengers are packed like sardenes
got staff to ask ppl to move in when there is no more room

MRT is ok, although there is room for improvement.

I just hope they upgrade stations like Bugis which I think needs more escalators/stairs.

Should increase the speed of the train to maybe 200km/h so we could reach the destination faster.

the passengers are packed like sardenes

You should take train in Tokyo during peak hour to get a real feeling of sardines. :bsmilie:
My personal feeling of train in Singapore is ok, but Hong Kong MTR is better.

Should increase the speed of the train to maybe 200km/h so we could reach the destination faster.

Me not too worry about speed.

I want more train so to reduce the waiting time. Anything > 3 minutes is considered very long to me.

I think they need additional express tracks that only stop at major hubs, like one line that only stops at jurong east, chua chu kang, woodlands, yishun, ang mo kio, toa payoh, Orchard, dhoby ghaut, city hall, raffles place, tanjong pagar, outram park, queenstown, clementi. One loop like that.

what do you mean by efficiency?

does it come on time? is the frequency right? do u feel u pay $1 for not getting much value back?

define efficiency please!

You should take train in Tokyo during peak hour to get a real feeling of sardines. :bsmilie:
My personal feeling of train in Singapore is ok, but Hong Kong MTR is better.

you like their metallic seats in the train? sg's mrt is not too bad but the air flow can be quite a prob... in packed trains, sometimes it's quite humid and hot... hk's mtr is on the other hand, quite cooling and windy!

doesnt make sense if the stops are like less than 1km apart... accelerate to 200kmh then sustain for 5s then decelerate again? waste of energy...

I hate the Airport - Tanah Merah route. Missing that just-arrived train can drive you nuts. Anybody who works in the vicinity of Expo can attest to that.

:Later,

I hate the Airport - Tanah Merah route. Missing that just-arrived train can drive you nuts. Anybody who works in the vicinity of Expo can attest to that.

:Later,

I can! Gap between trains is about 12 to 14 mins?

SMRT.....

Max speed of the train is 79kph...... Avg Max speed is 75kph. *Reason - reduce wear and tear on the track.

Problem for SMRT.....

2 years ago - No enough Train Officer (low pay, work during weekend/public holiday)... most local don't like shift work.

Now - Not enough Trains (22 has been ordered, but take time to built/test)... also no place to put the new train till 4th depot is built near Tuas.

FYI.....

The reason construstion being carried out at Jurong East MRT station is to 'add' a new North-South track. Therefore.... next time there will be 2 N/S track with 1 East, 1 West bound track at Jurong East. The reason is because of a bottle-neck problem on the solo N/S track during peak hours and/or if there is problem on the track....

Peak hour waiting time is only 2 mins. :thumbsup:

waiting time is only 2 mins, but do you realise that sometimes the train goes slower than it supposed to be?

also, sometime cant even get into the train.

but for off peak hours, i think singapore's public transport system is very good.

I have noticed that the trains are not carrying their capacities due to inconsiderate commuters refusing to move to the sides of the cabins. Sometimes, I wonder why these people refuse to move in. Is it because there are ghosts inside the trains, so that they prefer to stand near the doorways. In addition, some commuters are too engrossed with their own activities such as reading newpapers / books as well as chatting away while standing. Hence, they are glued to the floor. You will realise that many a time the door areas are always crowded but not inside the cabins.

I have also noticed the trains are crowded even after peak hours at times. We have 4 millions population now. I can't imagine when we have 6 millions population which the government is targeting.

Is the waiting time 5-6 mins acceptable after peak hours? Peak hours end at what time? It took me 12 mins to board a train at 9.15am, so is such timing considered after peak hours?

No wonder some of my friends will never take public transport but rather drives despite higher costs. There are many benefits of driving your own cars but I shall not elaborate since this is not the point of discussion here.

SMRT has now and then increase the fare prices sighting higher operations costs. These costs come in the form of hiring more security officers, instaling more CCTVs, etc. And the same time it is making handsome profits annually. It is perfectly alright for SMRT to make remarkable profits since it is no longer providing a public good. I hope that SMRT will look into enhancing its efficiency rather than just on some superficial stuff.

Last edited:
Talking about efficiency, I just encountered 3 "Do not board" trains at Jurong East towards Pasir Ris this morning at about 9:40am. Each of these trains arrives and stop at the platform for about 1 to 2 minutes before slowly moving off.

Last edited:
Peak hours train interval is NOT 2 min. I always see alternate 2 mins. More like:

2-5-2-5 min.

Peak hours along red line from sembawang to yew tee is the worst.

Morning peak hours:
Towards city I see 5 min interval every morning. Reason is there are train that starts from yishun. Residents from woodlands and sembawang can only wait, see the crowd pile up and squeeze when train comes.

Towards jurong there are trains that ends at pasir ris, so no need to change train at jurong. BUT this train is 5 min apart from the previous one, so super packed. Crowd piles up and people die die want to hop into this train.

Evening peak hours:
From jurong, alternate trains stops at yew tee, it's already super packed, platform is full of people yet such thing happens. Squeeze till can't breathe.

From city, alternate trains stops at yishun. Train towards jurong therefore can be 6-8 mins. Yes, it can be up to 8 min for evening train towards jurong, experienced many times already. I'm very pissed off, 2 min interval is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.