Effectiveness of ICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMan

Mar 27, 2003
Singapore, Farrer Rd
Just wondering how effective is ICE in removing fungus marks on negatives/positives during a scan? Opinions appreciated.

See for yourself. This is with a old Nikon Coolscan III.

Without ICE
no-ice.jpg

With ICE
ice.jpg

Except for the parts where the emulsion is scratched off, ICE removes normal scratches etc pretty effectively.

Regards
CK

lmao, couldn't stop laughing when i saw's ckiang's pic. how u abuse ur negative one?

anyway, back to the topic, does ice actually remove fungus? wat if the fungus stays inside the scanner :bigeyes:

~MooEy~

Well, this is one of my reject slides, so I just used them as a torture test for testing the ICE technology of my scanner. And it didn't fail me. :) Dunno how to remove fungus from a scanner though.

Regards
CK

Digital Ice is what we have built into our Slide & Film Scanners to make a Slide look the best it can, before you fix what's left over in Adobe PhotoShop.

BTW: Sicience Fiction Software.com is now selling Digital ICE as plug-ins for PhotoShop. Since the Program is built into our scanners, that is the only time we can use it now.

As for fungus & slides, we use PEC-12 to clean all the slides we scan, dirty Negatives are cleaned also before scanning if needed, I don't want to save time today, & have to learn how to tear down, & clean the scanners if I don't have to.

The time it saves me in PhotoShop is realy worth the extra money I have to pay for the scanners. It's not cheap, so you will have to decide how much you will use the process, & are you getting paid to use it. We do DVDs from Slides, Film & Pics, so the time saved in Photoshop, is pure profit ;)

Mike

oh....so ICE is a program...and PEC - 12 is some sort of cleaning gel or liquid or something tt u physically use on the slides etc rite....

juzt wanna make sure i get it right.... thanks for the info..

I'm not sure if ICE can fully be implemented as a software solution. My understanding is that it uses a channel in the scanner to detect irregulaties on the surface of the film and correct them. Wonder how the pure software version will work.

I have actually tried using PEC-12 but looks the fingus on my slides cannot be effectively removed. In fact, the PEC-12 liquid leaves a white layer on my film. So I stopped using it now. My current Minolta Scan Dual III is quite useless against removing the fungus marks from the scans. The fungus marks are more subtle until viewed in full size. Wonder if anybody could let me try scanning my "fungified" film on their ICE-enabled scanner to see how effective is ICE against fungus marks.

DanMan, you need a CoolScan 9000 :devil:

BUY BUY BUY

From my puny knowledge, the effect of ICE applied in photoshop cannot be better than the one used by film scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.