Effective ISO range 4 K-r

nanochan1

Feb 2, 2009
i oni noe K-x capable of gg 3200 anythin higher no good wad abt k-r?

What about typing in proper English and doing a simple search? :(
It helps others understand what you are trying to ask and if there is a search query further down the road, it helps in the search criteria.
The K-r has been reviewed a few months ago and there were photos at different high ISOs.

what i am asking ish how high can K-r ISO go that is within effective picture quality?

nanochan1, as Creampuff suggested, you could possibly get answers to your question from search over the internet.

The way I interpreted your question was if you are asking what's our experiences with K-r, and what's the highest ISO we've used that's acceptable in our eyes. That really depends on your experiences. I started off with compacts, and when I started using my 1st DSLR - K100D, it was a jump for me. My ISO 800 images looks quite ok to me on the K100D. Even the ISO 1250 still works out fine for me back then.

Then we have new DSLRs, and in the latest one I have - the K-r, I am able to get quite good ISO 2500 images which I can easily "clean up" in Lightroom 3. The result is something like this picture here.

White by beornheard.yang, on Flickr

I have seen images from fellow pentaxians whose ISO 3200 images are definitely usable.

imo, its really a matter of expectations.

firstly, the K-R and the K-X, the difference should be very small - they are using the same sensor after all.

3200 is max for me and u can probably use the jpeg straight from the cam.

for the type of pictures i usually shoot, i normally go the other extreme - as low as possible.

wad abt k5?

wad abt k5?

how high do u want to push it? :bsmilie: 6400? 12800? if u really want to stretch your camera's capabilities, just try all the different settings until u find something u like.

there is no "right answer" and my definition of "ok" might not be the same as yours.

when i do use auto ISO on my K5, i usually cap at 3200. i've shot at 6400 with a K5 before and i find it ok if u're not too fussy but what for? :dunno:

maybe you'ld like to share more about what you're shooting and why high ISO is so impt to you?

just felt tt hvin it beats hvin to restrict myself durin shoot

There is no one simple answer to what is the highest usable ISO for the K-r or the K-5

I have seen shots shot at max iso (51,200 iso) with the K-5 that are incredibly clean after skilled post processing.

A lot depends on the scene being shot - if does not have a lot of shadow areas, and it has an overall low dynamic range, then it is more forgiving.

Next is how the file is processed. If the shot is shot in RAW, and the RAW file is processed very carefully using very good noise reduction software, then you can make very high ISO files look good.

Careful tuning of the color, tone curve, contrast, sharpening, will also greatly enhance the overall look of the final output.

For me, as long as the shot is focussed correctly and exposed correctly, shots at up to 25,600 ISO on my K-5 are salvageable with very careful processing. But of course, the best is to avoid using such high iso in the first place.

Last edited:
Put it another way - it is always good to use the slowest ISO possible.

But I never let a high ISO get in the way of getting a shot. If I have to push 51,200 ISO to take a shot, I will do it.

thx i w heed on the advice