EF16-35F4 OR F2.8 MK2 . Which is better for landscape photography

Jeff Teo

Dec 10, 2014
Singapore
Need advised from all expert : I did more on landscape photography. EF16-35 F4 AND EF16-35 F2.8 MK II. ( MK3 IS OUT OF MY BUDGET )which should I go for . Thanks you

usually shooting landscape do not shoot at wide open aperture, we will use f11 or f16 to get maximum depth of field, a faster lens is nice to have but not necessary.

is this answer your question?

Do u intend to shoot the night sky too, I.e. Milky Way, star trials. If yes, 2.8 will come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EF16-35F4 is sharper. FTW.

People emphasise having good glass or lens and I agree to this extent
but what's the use if you lack visualising skills to express what you want?
Of which you can learn and practise.

Last edited:
Need advised from all expert : I did more on landscape photography. EF16-35 F4 AND EF16-35 F2.8 MK II. ( MK3 IS OUT OF MY BUDGET )which should I go for . Thanks you

noob me thinks that if you don't need the f/2.8( say for night shooting, stars, etc). f/4 may suit your needs better.

The 16-35 f/4L IS uses 77mm filter threads, has image stabilization and enhanced fluorine lens coatings for top notch image quality.
The 16-35 f/4L IS will allow you to use shutter speeds 4-stops slower to capture sharp images of static subjects should you not use the tripod for adventure travelling (small backpack?) :D

Hi Thanks you for the advise given : perhaps I have few consideration point here
1) Buying price / New set : F2.8 : S$2130 and F4 : S$1340
2) Buying price / Used set : F2.8 : S$1100-1200 AND F4 : S$1000-1100 ( price from clubsnap market place )
3) Night Photography : only 1 - 2 time annually
4) Photo taking time : sunrise or sunset , does this consider as low light timing ? 5) Focus : F2.8 good for low light , F4 excellent sharpness
6) Weight : F2.8 : 640gm and F4 : 615gm

For the begin 3 years , I'm using APS-C as basic photo taking and this is the first FF DSLR I purchased .
I don't really know how well the FF can perform and renting of lens or camera for test will cause an extra $ , As so I do worry for invest an unpair lens for my photography hobby . Do I have to go for low light F2.8 or consider the price on buying ( F2.8-$2130 / F4-$1340 )and resell ( F2.8-$1200 / F4-$1100 )of both lens ?

Not really a tough decision if you know what you mostly shoot. Most landscape photos require a reasonable depth of field, so F2.8 is not of much use here. What the F2.8 lens is suitable for would be indoor events where you may want to use a faster shutter speed (assuming you want to keep to a certain ISO). The shallower DOF may also be an advantage here if your composition requires it.

I rented a 16-35/F4 and did a typical shoot before I made the decision to buy it. I also went through my library of photos to see at what apertures (and focal length) I normally shoot at and found that I seldom shoot at the widest aperture for the lens. You may want to go through the same exercise with your images.

Hi Thanks you for the advise given : perhaps I have few consideration point here
2) Buying price / Used set : F2.8 : S$1100-1200 AND F4 : S$1000-1100 ( price from clubsnap market place )
4) Photo taking time : sunrise or sunset , does this consider as low light timing ? 5) Focus : F2.8 good for low light , F4 excellent sharpness

For the begin 3 years , I'm using APS-C as basic photo taking and this is the first FF DSLR I purchased .
I don't really know how well the FF can perform and renting of lens or camera for test will cause an extra $ , As so I do worry for invest an unpair lens for my photography hobby . Do I have to go for low light F2.8 or consider the price on buying ( F2.8-$2130 / F4-$1340 )and resell ( F2.8-$1200 / F4-$1100 )of both lens ?
shooting sunrise and sunset landscapes doesn't necessarily need f2.8. Most would be using a smaller aperture like f8 or smaller.

The night photography we are referring to usually involves astro subjects like milky way. And requires us to shoot at f2'8.

If you are looking at more budget lens, consider 17-40. Not as sharp like the recent 16-35 f4, but should be good enough for casual use.

Last edited:
My answers in blue below. I'm more for the 16-35f4L IS out of the 2 choices, but then again I have no first hand experience with both just basing on what I've read from reviews and opinion of others

Haven't been up to date on market prices, but the new price of 16-35f4L IS looks good, I would consider buying it new, pay a bit more but have local warranty and less risk

4) Photo taking time : sunrise or sunset , does this consider as low light timing?

As most others pointed out, you only need the extra stop of light if you need to do astrophotography stuff like taking photographs of stars and milky way or other genres where minimum shutter speed is limited, like event photography. Otherwise in normal low light / sunrise / sunset situations you normally are on tripod anyway can just use a longer shutter speed to compensate

5) Focus : F2.8 good for low light , F4 excellent sharpness

The Canon 16-35f4L is known for it's sharpness to the corners when stopped down, even at F4 it's still quite sharp. Which is probably more important in landscapes. Another thing is the Image Stabilizer, if you are shooting in low light situations eg in monuments, where tripod is not allowed and the subject is not moving, I found it quite useful

I guess not much of a difference?

photography for hobbyists, there is no ROI,
It is not an necessity spending, is just an enrichment of your life, remember, what you get in the end of the day is just a "shiok!!"

and also, each individual is different in term of core value, personality, expectations etc, nobody shoot the same things as you, or how shoot often as you, or putting how much efforts on creating the photos
so the answer to your question should come within you, what others suggested is just some recommendation at most.

Thanks for all the advise .
As most of the advise , majority people vote for F4 .
In term of money value , sharpness , weight , and resell value . F4 are the winner
In term of Low Light on outdoor star shooter or indoor event , F2.8 are the winner
In this 3 year of photography hobbies shot , I don't even have a chance shot a star in Singapore and no one will asked me for any indoor event shot . Friends know that I only shot landscape and still life
Now I can confirm , F4 will be the my selection : cheaper , sharper , lighter and better resell value .
Just for information to anyone who likes to buy the same lens , currently Canon have a promotion of cash rebate $120 for on line register ( only for F4 )

Appreciate of the kindness .

EF16-35 F2.8 MK II is better