EF100mm F2.8 Macro - normal noise in lens barrel?

canon550d

Dec 4, 2011
For those who owns this lens, hope can hear if similar noise is found in your lens.
I got my macro lens recently and has tried shooting with it. Image is sharp and AF is fast.
But I noticed there is some rattling sound, maybe glass element from the lens. Can also feel the rattle when lens is shaken lightly. Is this normal for this lens?
My other lens are all quiet (17-40mm, 55-250mm).

IS????? is this the L one?

Any other owners can share your observation?

I've brought the lens to CSC since it is still under warranty. They guy there checked with their technician and said that the noise coming from the glass elements since there are some space to allow expansion and compression due to heat and weather etc. But this checking was only done by just holding the lens in their hands and test shot on their cameras.

So, I'm not really convinced when they can't show me another 100mm macro lens to prove that the noise is common. Feels like they are not willing to do anything for free. Maybe if the warranty was over, they might just do some checking. Or I'm just being paranoid.

Oh yea, I just realised that this thread might be more suitable under Canon equipment discussion. So, feel free to move the thread. Thanks.

Its normal, new lens design for the 100L with HIS.

My is super quiet (non-IS version).