EF or EFs lens?

herbiee

Mar 7, 2010
Hi all,
I'm currently using the 450d crop body and was wondering if I should get EF lenses or EFs lenses?
Are they different in the IQ and build quality generally?

I also realised that EFs lenses are not weather sealed and this is a downside to it, compared to the weather sealed EF lenses.

I was also wondering why people are still using EF lenses on their crop bodies since the cost of EF lenses are generally more expensive than the EFs lenses? Is this due to future upgrades to full frame bodies in the future?

Many thanks in advance:)

Please go on google and search through the numerous "crop vs. full frame" discussions. You'll find all your answers there.

FYI, having a weather-sealed lens is pointless if your body is not weather-sealed.

Hi all,
I'm currently using the 450d crop body and was wondering if I should get EF lenses or EFs lenses?

I also realised that EFs lenses are not weather sealed and this is a downside to it, compared to the weather sealed EF lenses.

I was also wondering why people are still using EF lenses on their crop bodies since the cost of EF lenses are generally more expensive than the EFs lenses? Is this due to future upgrades to full frame bodies in the future?

If u do not plan to upgrade to FF anytime within the near future, then stick to EF-S.

FYI, weather-sealed EF lenses only applies to some L lenses only and i doubt non-Ls have any weather-sealing at all too.

EF lenses can be mounted on all bodies while EF-S lenses can only be mounted on crop bodies. That's the main difference and you probably already know that. The difference in IQ and build is really down to each individual lenses and has nothing to do with whether they are EF or EF-S.

Only L lenses are weather sealed. All other lenses are not, regardless of whether they are EF or EF-S lenses.

As to why people use EF lenses on crop bodies...well, I guess different pple have differents needs. For me, it's more of a case of whether the lenses meet my needs rather than whether they are EF or EF-S lenses.

Cheers ~

I think TS may be asking whether he should get an EF-S lens for his crop-sensor body now and have to change his lenses if upgrading to FF in future, or get an EF lens (which he claims to be more expensive) so as to save on the cost of selling off a crop-sensor-only lens (and incurring a loss) and having to buy an EF lens in future if upgrading to FF, since EF-S lenses are incompatible with FF bodies.

I think it's a dilemma that faces some crop-sensor body users. Not sure if I've interpreted his question correctly though.

I think TS may be asking whether he should get an EF-S lens for his crop-sensor body now and have to change his lenses if upgrading to FF in future, or get an EF lens (which he claims to be more expensive) so as to save on the cost of selling off a crop-sensor-only lens (and incurring a loss) and having to buy an EF lens in future if upgrading to FF, since EF-S lenses are incompatible with FF bodies.

I think it's a dilemma that faces some crop-sensor body users. Not sure if I've interpreted his question correctly though.

haha. if it was me i'll take ef cause i can use on both crop and ff. price diff also not too much anyways.

EF lenses can be mounted on all bodies while EF-S lenses can only be mounted on crop bodies. That's the main difference and you probably already know that. The difference in IQ and build is really down to each individual lenses and has nothing to do with whether they are EF or EF-S.

Only L lenses are weather sealed. All other lenses are not, regardless of whether they are EF or EF-S lenses.

As to why people use EF lenses on crop bodies...well, I guess different pple have differents needs. For me, it's more of a case of whether the lenses meet my needs rather than whether they are EF or EF-S lenses.

Cheers ~

Mounting on cropped bodies only applies to 300D onwards, so 10D, D30 and D60 does not apply.

And not all L lenses are weather-sealed as said too.

EF-S lenses are designed for the APS-C sensor. Because most APS-C sensors are generally targeted at the general consumer, some of the lenses are a compromise of IQ, build quality and cost. Still, there are many EF-S lenses with respectable IQ and build quality.

Similarly, the converse is true. There are many EF lenses that aren't exactly proud of their build quality. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II is one of them. I dunno if there are any detractors, but I personally think it's one of the worst build lens commercially available today.

EF-S lenses are designed for the APS-C sensor. Because most APS-C sensors are generally targeted at the general consumer, some of the lenses are a compromise of IQ, build quality and cost. Still, there are many EF-S lenses with respectable IQ and build quality.

Similarly, the converse is true. There are many EF lenses that aren't exactly proud of their build quality. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II is one of them. I dunno if there are any detractors, but I personally think it's one of the worst build lens commercially available today.

The 75-300's built quality isn't fantastic too. But as for the 50 f/1.8 II, for that kind of price, how much more could u ask? :dunno:

Hi all,

the answer is clear, go straight for EF lenses. you never know when u want to go full frame. cos when that comes, your EFS lens is as good as white elephant cos you cannot use and had to find buyers to sell it off.

The 75-300's built quality isn't fantastic too. But as for the 50 f/1.8 II, for that kind of price, how much more could u ask? :dunno:

That's the point I was raising - both EF and EF-S lenses have varying build quality through their respective range. The EF and EF-S designation are meant to identify their use with their respective sensors.

As for the 50mm f/1.8 II, I am aware of the price, and the ostensible value it provides. Nonetheless, I was just raising the point that you can have low build quality within the EF family of lenses.

That's the point I was raising - both EF and EF-S lenses have varying build quality through their respective range. The EF and EF-S designation are meant to identify their use with their respective sensors.

As for the 50mm f/1.8 II, I am aware of the price, and the ostensible value it provides. Nonetheless, I was just raising the point that you can have low build quality within the EF family of lenses.

Correct, but for the very low price of the 50 f/1.8 II, the IQ it gives is already very gd value-for-money, though the built of it is kind of flimsy.

Do compare the amount of EF lenses vs. the amount of EF-S lenses in the Canon lens line up. Is there any EF-S 70-200? Or EF-S 135? So one reason simply the availability of lenses.

If cost is the major consideration in purchasement, then certainly consider purchasing a similar range EF-S lens (if available) since they are priced slightly cheaper than the EF L lenses. For cropped sensors, there is availability of much wider EFS zooms compared to EF lenses. Regarding buying EF lenses for the future in case u upgrade. . thats really up to you. since EF will mate with cropped sensor bodies as well, but in any case most of the time u cannot really appreciate much IQ difference in output , at least not in smaller print / posts.

ryan

I suggest buying EF lens instead of EFs, lessen ur headache if u ever decide to upgrade to FF next time. With the cost of FF coming down, pretty soon it will be very affortable. So best to be prepared than to be stuck with Aps-c lenses.

Im a sony aps-c body user, hv 10 lenses currently, and only 2 are aps-c lenses. Reason for those 2 is i got one of them cheaply, and the other (a carl zeiss 16-80mm) is only available on aps-c, so no choice. Else i would hv buy all a FF lenses.