EF 300/2.8L for US$250!

Status
Not open for further replies.
heart pain!!! what the!!!! not cost effective to repair!

i also have a handphone that swim in the sea, needless to say, also the same fate as this 300mm. :cry:

Wah...what a waste of a great lens. :cry: :bheart:

My guess is that although the optics and AF mechanism might be ruined and non-workable, you could still cannibalize the exterior or working parts though. Provided you have an EF 300mm f2.8L already. ;)

This will be a very very impressive paperweight.

Or you can add a bulb and a nice matching cream color lamp shade...

Cheers,

can still keep it for display purpose!@!

Dust free but not sandless.

Terence said:
I bet it's relatively dust free :)

Tragic.

The sad part was that it was only partially submerged at first, but he went to fully dunk the thing in distilled water, instead of sending it straight for repair. i think he might have salvaged it had he not tried to wash out the salt and sand himself.

Wah, someone actually bid on it. I was quite sure it wasn't going to get any bids and thought I'd write him and offer $100 for it when the auction closes. I wonder how high it'd go... care to place any bets?

I say $300!

Well.. I'm actually considering and the max I will pay US$400.

Whatever it is, Canon Singapore will not repair it for you because to be on the safe side, they will offer you a repair price of about $8000 to $11000 to repair it.

So I do not think that it is worth considering.

agape01 said:
Whatever it is, Canon Singapore will not repair it for you because to be on the safe side, they will offer you a repair price of about $8000 to $11000 to repair it.

May I ask how you arrived at these figures?

agape01 said:

So I do not think that it is worth considering.

8-11K??? With that kinda $$, you can buy a brand new EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS.

oeyvind said:
8-11K??? With that kinda $$, you can buy a brand new EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS.

alot of repairs i encountered electronic stuff, like hi fi, handphone. the repair price is close to the selling or exceed.

i had a sony hifi i paid $299. The CD disk could not read any CDs or VCD after 1year +. and when i sent for repair the asking price is $369.

There is because the repair technical has to spend time to open up the good, see the spoilt components, look for the spared parts in the whorehouse, exchange it, test it, put back the case before call you to ask to come and collect. It is like are wasting their precious time when the technicial can sit and idle. So you get pay a premium to them to attune for you.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i had a sony hifi i paid $299. The CD disk could not read any CDs or VCD after 1year +. and when i sent for repair the asking price is $369.

Hmm, I might list mine too then...

Actually, he did the right thing in dunking it in distilled water. Water inherently isn't bad for cameras and lenses, as long as there isn't an electronic current being passed through at the time. The salt is the killer, and by soaking it in distilled water and excluding as much oxygen as possible, you slow the corrosion process until it can get taken apart and properly cleaned.

Jed said:
Hmm, I might list mine too then...

Actually, he did the right thing in dunking it in distilled water. Water inherently isn't bad for cameras and lenses, as long as there isn't an electronic current being passed through at the time. The salt is the killer, and by soaking it in distilled water and excluding as much oxygen as possible, you slow the corrosion process until it can get taken apart and properly cleaned.
Agree with this. I've had the ill fortune of drowning my digital videocam when my housing flooded during a dive. The baterry contacts corroded immediately in salt water. Tried to blow off as much salt water as possible with compressed air, but it was no use, all the internals were corroded by the time I got it to the shop a few days later, since I was at a remote dive location. I then got some advice from some old pros who said that I should have dunked it in fresh water to get rid of as much of the salt water as possible. Altho it doesnt always work, he has managed to salvage his camera a couple of times by doing this.

buy and frame it up at home lor

or can brign it along when u shoot event but dont use it..ie use it for posing purpose only... kekeke :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.