EF 28-70mm f2.8L with fogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

joashwee

Have the chance of getting this lens at, I think, a rather reasonable price. Only problem is that I have to get the element changed due to extensive fogging. Anyone knows how much this would cost? Worst case scenario? Should I take it or should I pass? Thanks!

Can give the CSC a call and ask them how much it costs to replace and service the lens (6799 8686).

Going through the regular checks (sharp, autofocus locks on etc), is that the only issue with that lens or are there other issues that you were not told about?

Is the price too good to be true? Is the cost savings - repair cost worth the risk to you?

Personally I wouldn't get anything that resemble a speck inside the elements, let alone fogging issue. Something serious is causing it?

Personally I wouldn't get anything that resemble a speck inside the elements, let alone fogging issue. Something serious is causing it?

Dust is acceptable because even new lenses from the shops have dust in them. Don't believe me? Go to any shop when you want to purchase a lens, armed with a torchlight, and since you avoid anything that even resembles a speck inside, you will walk away empty handed. I've inspected new L lenses, and they have dust in them too.

I got a lens group changed that flogged, cost around 200 plus 10 years back.
Now still working fine for my stage shoot.

no more spare parts for 28-70mm lens, a friend of mine also facing the same problem, end up Canon offer to top-up few hundred dollars for a replacement to 24-70mm.
very good deal for him.
but.....he is the original owner of the lens, no sure new owner will get this benefit or not?

had this happen to me.
It costs $480 (including GST) to upgrade it to 24-70mm since CSC will not have spare parts.

You decide if it is a good deal.

had this happen to me.
It costs $480 (including GST) to upgrade it to 24-70mm since CSC will not have spare parts.

That's not too bad. but what if they don't offer the upgrade? It's not a sure thing. Then what you'll have left is an expensive paper weight, or museum display piece. :)

Yeah, I personally don't think it's such a good idea, since the exchange plus top up is not guaranteed. Besides, how much are you going to pay for this lens?

i think its $600. I saw someone in BnS selling it. What if canon doesn't want to trade in, then you can use that as paperweight. There is some form of risk in doing such trade. If it can, then why user wants to sell it. The price for a spoilt lens he selling isn't cheap either

need to add-on also, when canon replaced the lens for me, it comes with a 6-mth warranty. And yes, it is a MINTY lens.

i think its $600. I saw someone in BnS selling it. What if canon doesn't want to trade in, then you can use that as paperweight. There is some form of risk in doing such trade. If it can, then why user wants to sell it. The price for a spoilt lens he selling isn't cheap either

I think this is the link.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521639

I read some reviews that this is better than the 24-70 in terms of IQ. However, such an old lens, will it still work fine? What do you all think?

I think lenses are afterall electronic equipment, and the mechanism inside got to be affected by ageing. For example, how's your old cassette player or even discman working now?

I think this is the link.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521639

I read some reviews that this is better than the 24-70 in terms of IQ. However, such an old lens, will it still work fine? What do you all think?

I think lenses are afterall electronic equipment, and the mechanism inside got to be affected by ageing. For example, how's your old cassette player or even discman working now?

Lenses aren't exactly electronics per se. They are optics. Well kept 20 year old lenses can still be used today. However, this lens in discussion is not well kept.

Lenses aren't exactly electronics per se. They are optics. Well kept 20 year old lenses can still be used today. However, this lens in discussion is not well kept.

Question: The lens is mainly glass, so those prob wont be affected if well kept, but i'm sure there are electronics in there that controls the focusing mechanism etc. how do those withstand the test of time?

Question: The lens is mainly glass, so those prob wont be affected if well kept, but i'm sure there are electronics in there that controls the focusing mechanism etc. how do those withstand the test of time?

That is a question that I can't answer, but the lenses speak for themselves. Look Russ up. He's not so active nowadays, but he uses a 50mm f/1.8 I, which is more than a decade old, and still fully functional.

That is a question that I can't answer, but the lenses speak for themselves. Look Russ up. He's not so active nowadays, but he uses a 50mm f/1.8 I, which is more than a decade old, and still fully functional.

My 24mm f/2.8 is 20 years old and it's as clear as Redang waters! :)

had this happen to me.

sounds like a good deal... i got to pay them a visit soon liao... cos mine fogged too...

Waiting for photos from the seller. Emailed CSC, still awaiting their reply. What exactly causes the fogging problem?

seems like i cant get the answer to why fogging too... i pressed canon many times, they cant answer me lor... keep pressing me to bring it down again...

Status
Not open for further replies.