EF 100mm F 2.8 USM mistake ??!!


Status
Not open for further replies.

myloplex

New Member
May 27, 2003
702
0
0
Visit site
#1
I got this off photo.net:

"I´ve played with the USM version in a shop recently, plus I´ve looked at printed pictures of the USM version. In my opinion Canon has made a big mistake in the optical construction (or a bad compromise) - under certain circumstances there is a terrible or weird background blur (double line bokeh), eg. if you photograph a flower, the unsharp part of the flower´s stem may turn into a structure which looks like two stems. Disgusting. I´d go for the older version.
-- Tobias Mennle , August 17, 2003; 11:07 A.M. Eastern "

I know 100mm f2.8 is a really sharp lense but can anyone can testify to the above comment by that guy ?
 

Apr 19, 2003
349
0
0
www.jinyinmo.com
#2
Hi,

I have experienced the same phenomenon. Usually happens when you f/2.8 (I usually do f/2.8).

If you want, I can show you some slides with this problem.

The lens is best at f/8 to f/22.

Cheers!
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,423
0
0
Visit site
#3
myloplex said:
I got this off photo.net:

"I´ve played with the USM version in a shop recently, plus I´ve looked at printed pictures of the USM version. In my opinion Canon has made a big mistake in the optical construction (or a bad compromise) - under certain circumstances there is a terrible or weird background blur (double line bokeh), eg. if you photograph a flower, the unsharp part of the flower´s stem may turn into a structure which looks like two stems. Disgusting. I´d go for the older version.
-- Tobias Mennle , August 17, 2003; 11:07 A.M. Eastern "

I know 100mm f2.8 is a really sharp lense but can anyone can testify to the above comment by that guy ?


Look here:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=44855
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=42309

various people tell you 180 f/3.5L better, why waste time with an ordinary non-L lens?
 

myloplex

New Member
May 27, 2003
702
0
0
Visit site
#5
VincentLin said:
Hi,

I have experienced the same phenomenon. Usually happens when you f/2.8 (I usually do f/2.8).

If you want, I can show you some slides with this problem.

The lens is best at f/8 to f/22.

Cheers!
can see the pictures please : )
 

myloplex

New Member
May 27, 2003
702
0
0
Visit site
#6

oeyvind

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2002
3,828
1
38
www.oeyvind.org
#7
Nothing wrong with 100mm macro USM, here's two sample wide open at f/2.8:





Can't afford 180 L? Get the Sigma 180mm APO EX macro instead.
 

Jun 30, 2003
1,124
0
0
Visit site
#9
erwinx said:
various people tell you 180 f/3.5L better, why waste time with an ordinary non-L lens?
for Macro lens, L, Non-L or 3rd party doesnt matter, they are all built with optimum optical quality.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom