education not up to standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenleonhart

Sep 17, 2008
hmm. this is a pretty odd topic. i'm assuming most of the people here already finished schooling.

my school currently has a new principal transferred in. and as far as i can tell, the policies that he propose dun seem exactly civil, but rather, pardon me for my choice of words, crude, barbaric and quite ancient.

to give u an example,

he claims that our sch (mind u. we are a top sch in singapore. i'll withhold the sch name for obvious reasons. dun wanna get into trouble) will do badly in our A lvls, when even our first batch of A lvl students havent even got the chance to take the A lvls yet. and rather than encouraging the students to work hard, he simply throws the verdict: u are gonna screw up.

his new policy: guys and girls need to maintain 1 elbow apart. if this was in... a sch with bad reputation and low level of discipline, i'll be alright with it. but we are afterall a top school in singapore, and i think this crude form of policy doesnt reflect too well in the sch.

oh another: late comers, after 5 times will be expelled/suspension. cant remember exact rule.

hmm. top schs having this kind of treatment. either we are getting worse, or he is just very dictatorial.

i'll post a short excerpt, from a student of his previous sch, paraphrased so that u cant google it.

tells students they look like TERRORISTs as their hair is long, facial hair is long..
calls the indians in their schools gangs.
well. another reason being, his control over the english language isnt too strong. might be the reason why he makes such comments?.

i would wonder, does having such acts in singapore actually reflect well that we have world class standard education? or just simply wayang?

and adding a point, he even misread the sch motto, and the irony being, he is the principal, he is chinese educated, and the motto is in chinese, 4 words only.
oh yes. if anyone feels that this thread is simply a mindless rant, i'll be fine with deleting it.

i' just curious abt ur views on this incident. i do not wish to take a too negative stand on this issue yet. thank you:x

AND PLS MAKE THIS A CIVIL CONVERSATION/DEBATE. if anyone needs clarification on another's viewpoint, do say so.

and i do not wish any innocent school to be mistaken. its not dunman high. this is the furthest i can reveal. i have received many concerned replies from parents inquiring abt if it was dunman. i assure u its not. and its ranked in top 10 of the singapore sch ranks.

Last edited:
He's the principal right?

Given your exhortations about how your school is a "top" school, I'm not at all surprised that he's instituting "ancient and barbaric" practices.

It keeps "top" students in line.

My view is, some points of view he was making was being realistic. On the first day I got into my course in Poly, the director came over and told us about the realism of our industry. So much for the first day of school, but it puts things into perspective, even though it wasn't really appropriate.

I do agree about the terrorists comment and racism though. :think:

Let me give u an example- my classmate every year deans list. Every exam top student or 2nd highest in university. She is perpetually late by 20-30min for all lecture. When she is on time, those topic she on time and she gets 2nd or 3rd. Those late all top scorer. Tell your principal wake up

He's the principal right?

Given your exhortations about how your school is a "top" school, I'm not at all surprised that he's instituting "ancient and barbaric" practices.

It keeps "top" students in line.

well. ancient barbaric practises... seems a lil too crude here. especially when we have a culture of being bonded, and we can like buddy pat the opposite sexy without much of a problem. we share drinks and stuff tat way too. suddenly implementing such an action only gives the feeling that he is trying to *show off his prowess*. and personally, it is not befitting of a worldclass education. i dun see ppl at cambridge telling students not to do that ==
*comment has been removed due to possible wrong inferences*
and its just the first day our lvl saw him. to give u an idea of how severe his comments can be,

we are a integrated-programme school.

we have upheld a good reputation for over 50 years.

and our first batch of a lvl students gets a nice:u are going to do badly, that is my prediction, from the principal. note: they are taking a lvls this year. i do not think that just being in office for a month actually allows him to say such a comment.

Last edited:
My view is, some points of view he was making was being realistic. On the first day I got into my course in Poly, the director came over and told us about the realism of our industry. So much for the first day of school, but it puts things into perspective, even though it wasn't really appropriate.

I do agree about the terrorists comment and racism though. :think:

realism of industry i get it. but rather than saying u are going to do badly, isnt it a lil overboard? note. he only stay in office less than a month. already trying to do so many funny stuff. :dunno:

Last edited:
Let me give u an example- my classmate every year deans list. Every exam top student or 2nd highest in university. She is perpetually late by 20-30min for all lecture. When she is on time, those topic she on time and she gets 2nd or 3rd. Those late all top scorer. Tell your principal wake up

i wish he would. sigh.

well. ancient barbaric practises... seems a lil too crude here. especially when we have a culture of being bonded, and we can like buddy pat the opposite sexy without much of a problem. we share drinks and stuff tat way too. suddenly implementing such an action only gives the feeling that he is trying to *show off his prowess*. and personally, it is not befitting of a worldclass education. i dun see ppl at cambridge telling students not to do that ==

worst is, i'm having hte feeling this barbaric practises comes due to his background from a neighbourhood jc.

and its just the first day our lvl saw him. to give u an idea of how severe his comments can be,

we are a integrated-programme school.

we have upheld a good reputation for over 50 years.

and our first batch of a lvl students gets a nice:u are going to fail, that is my prediction, from the principal. note: they are taking a lvls this year. i do not think that just being in office for a month actually allows him to say such a comment.

And you, my young friend, have totally missed my point.

My remarks were directed at you.

It is not what you said, it is how you said it - you just made a sweeping inference saying that "non-top" schools deserves barbaric treatment.

Quite some generalisation there.

And you, my young friend, have totally missed my point.

My remarks were directed at you.

It is not what you said, it is how you said it - you just made a sweeping inference saying that "non-top" schools deserves barbaric treatment.

i'm saying no schools deserves such a treatment. unless ur discipline sucks till rock bottom:x sorry if it sounded that way. i have no intention of such a meaning. sorry :X

okkies. to rephrase: i do not think any school deserves such a treatment. and certainly, i feel tat students shld be given the chance to make certain decisions. especially abt the guys-girls problem

i think i shld explain further.

my sch has been quite emphasizing on democracy, where students get to make their own rules and keep them.

one: usage of handphones in sch. we used to ban the usage of phones in sch, this did not solve the problem of phones ringing in classes etc.

however, we were given the choice: we could do this democratically, by setting our own targets and rules.

our school student council took the initiative, and they made a new set of school rules, with voting and stuff from the student and teacher cohort, and we came to a consensus:

usage of phones is limited to canteen during break, and after school.

this has actually helped reduce the problem and both students and teachers are happy.

and because we have been so democratic, a change of principal with such crude policies, seem quite out of place:x

comments?

Last edited:
Quite some generalisation there.

I kid u not. Is just that there are exceptional case and the principal would have killed off some of these ppl. I can easily find u a dozen of my friends whom u will not think they are gd student but they do really well in exam and life now. I had a senior who slept in class all the time in jc. He got so frustrated with the teacher waking him up, he told her if he tops all the exam next time round she must leave him alone.and he did. He score A and top everything in JC. I will not name the schs and that senior got a prestigious scholarship overseas. He is pretty successful now. These are the bad latecomers loose pants students this principle will expelled now

I kid u not. Is just that there are exceptional case and the principal would have killed off some of these ppl. I can easily find u a dozen of my friends whom u will not think they are gd student but they do really well in exam and life now. I had a senior who slept in class all the time in jc. He got so frustrated with the teacher waking him up, he told her if he tops all the exam next time round she must leave him alone.and he did. He score A and top everything in JC. I will not name the schs and that senior got a prestigious scholarship overseas. He is pretty successful now. These are the bad latecomers loose pants students this principle will expelled now

No, I do not doubt your stories. I do have encounters with students who are not academically inclined but do relatively well in working life and vice versa. I'm just not comfortable with the notion that a student's attitude should be left unchecked as long as he/she can produce results.

i think i shld explain further.

my sch has been quite emphasizing on democracy, where students get to make their own rules and keep them.

one: usage of handphones in sch. we used to ban the usage of phones in sch, this did not solve the problem of phones ringing in classes etc.

however, we were given the choice: we could do this democratically, by setting our own targets and rules.

our school student council took the initiative, and they made a new set of school rules, with voting and stuff from the student and teacher cohort, and we came to a consensus:

usage of phones is limited to canteen during break, and after school.

this has actually helped reduce the problem and both students and teachers are happy.

and because we have been so democratic, a change of principal with such crude policies, seem quite out of place:x

comments?

That's quite a drastic paradigm shift.

Has the council taken this up with the council advisor?

No, I do not doubt your stories. I do have encounters with students who are not academically inclined but do relatively well in working life and vice versa. I'm just not comfortable with the notion that a student's attitude should be left unchecked as long as he/she can produce results.

hmmm.
but lets er. specify the scope a lil.

this sch has proven to be able to let students keep a check on their own attitude,as we can see from the handphone incident. it shows the lvl of trust between a sch and their students.

now: if we have proven ourselfs that we have the right attitude, do u think we shld still ahve crude rules? especially when we know where to draw the line: between a friendly pat on the shoulder and to put it crudely, molest?

he claims that our sch (mind u. we are a top sch in singapore. i'll withhold the sch name for obvious reasons. dun wanna get into trouble) will do badly in our A lvls, when even our first batch of A lvl students havent even got the chance to take the A lvls yet. and rather than encouraging the students to work hard, he simply throws the verdict: u are gonna screw up.
he using reverse psychology, boy!

his new policy: guys and girls need to maintain 1 elbow apart. if this was in... a sch with bad reputation and low level of discipline, i'll be alright with it. but we are afterall a top school in singapore, and i think this crude form of policy doesnt reflect too well in the sch.
steer clear of boy girl relationship, boy boy!

oh another: late comers, after 5 times will be expelled.
this is what we called discipline, boy boy!

well. another reason being, his control over the english language isnt up to standard.
you already say he is chinese educated liao, what to expect

I don't think it is that simplistic.

There must a cause to why these obviously intelligent young people choose to disregard punctuality for lessons.

Perhaps cognitively, they are not being challenged enough?

I don't think it is that simplistic.

There must a cause to why these obviously intelligent young people choose to disregard punctuality for lessons.

Perhaps cognitively, they are not being challenged enough?

Yes, its definitely possible that they are not challenged.

I'm not implying they should be made to toe the line and follow rules to the letter.

By mentioning "not to let them go unchecked", I also mean that it might be necessary to look into the "problem" and see what can be done for their (students) benefit instead of letting them be.

he using reverse psychology, boy!

hey hey. its one thing to use reverse psychology. its another to call ur students terrorist as from one of the comments he made in his ex sch. i believe he is making serious comments, or at least, stupid comments.

steer clear of boy girl relationship, boy boy!

did i mention that if ur results are good and u can use it to up ur studies and u dun do stupid stuff, bgr isnt wrong? i know of cases where it is benificial. and i know of parents who will accept if they know whats going on. times have changed my dear. not all ur students engage in underage sex. some of us mature earlier :)

this is what we called discipline, boy boy!
and this is the same as saying i'm fining u cause u throw rubbish on floor. and did the policy really make singapore cleaner? NO.
you already say he is chinese educated liao, what to expect

even if chinese educated, at least converse in chinese then. why u wanna act smart speak english and say stupid comments? my sch is bicultural. we can understand chinese =.=

Last edited:
hmmm.
but lets er. specify the scope a lil.

this sch has proven to be able to let students keep a check on their own attitude,as we can see from the handphone incident. it shows the lvl of trust between a sch and their students.

now: if we have proven ourselfs that we have the right attitude, do u think we shld still ahve crude rules? especially when we know where to draw the line: between a friendly pat on the shoulder and to put it crudely, molest?

For what its worth, i was not referring to your post. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.