Editing Software for Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cykic

Feb 15, 2007
Northeastern paradise
Hi,
I'm a new user to Mac. Just want to know can CS3 / Elements be run in Mac?
If no, what photo editor can I use for the same purposes? Is the software that comes in the mac (ie. iMac / Macbook) be sufficient?

Thanks. :D

there is mac version of CS3.. never used element so i dont know....

Hi,
I'm a new user to Mac. Just want to know can CS3 / Elements be run in Mac?
If no, what photo editor can I use for the same purposes? Is the software that comes in the mac (ie. iMac / Macbook) be sufficient?

Thanks. :D

Adobe Lightroom:)

I've been told that GIMP is good, but I've never tried it myself before.
Its freeware.

The default software for Mac only consists of iPhoto. While iPhoto is a simple software to use, and relatively fast for mass editing, it's not really a serious software for photo editing with its rather limited editing options - only has some options for brightness, contrast, saturation, temperature, colour tint and straighten, and some effects like vignetting.
There is definitely Adobe Photoshop CS 3 for Mac if you want to do more serious editing(you have to get this instead of the CS 2 version if you are running on Intel processors for speed). For speedy 'mass' editing, you can consider Apple's Aperture (I kind of prefer the interface of Aperture to LightRoom), or Adobe's Lightroom, which perhaps does produce better quality jpeg from RAW images.

I am using iPhoto, mainly for filing. Good enough for basic editing, which is where my skill level is at. :embrass: Now trying to learn Photoshop because there are things I realise that iPhoto cannot do.

I think I am stuck with Mac because all my photos are stored under iPhoto. Not that it is a bad thing, but I always wondered if I can export the all my images onto a PC based system. Right now I do not know how the filing system works on the Mac.

The pictures in iphoto are found in "iphoto library".

iphoto has "burn disc", and "export" options. So you should be able to back up your data, for transfer to another PC or mac.

Hmm.. I do recommend having something that can render many many files at one go.. like your aperture or lightroom... You could download a trial first.. different people have different tastes and depending on your personal style, you might prefer one to the other.. (though I should mention that the raw engine of the lightroom seems better? it's similar to CS3)
CS 3 is a must have though...

Many have said their piece, I'll still add mine though...

Lightroom for general photo library, viewing and 'mass edits'. Photoshop CS3 for more 'creative' and precision editing.

Lightroom and Photoshop are expensive softwares, might be a stretch if you're just doing photography as a hobby and may not be shooting RAW. You can wait for Elements 6 for Mac which is due out in the second quarter.

Other alternatives are 'Pixelmator' or 'Photoline' which supports 'layers', these are pretty cheap photoshop alternatives. Google for more info... :cool:

Thank you all for the valuable comments and advice!
Will consider Elements 6, since it's much more affordable! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.