editing raw images

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayami.wai

Jul 18, 2005
i tried opening my raw images with both photoshoot CS n canon viewer. both software shows the picture differently. interms of colors etc. other than knowing the color space used by both software is differnet, it is quite obvious that photoshot had enhanced the photo(raw) as well. interms of brightness n contrast. but the problem is, i can't save the new settings directly to the file. instead a new setting file is created. n through the canon viewer, the changes is not reflected.

is there any way for me to edit the raw image through photoshop n save directly to the raw file?

also, i tried converting the raw image to jpg using canon viewer n photoshop cs. the file size i get is totally different at the same resolution. (one is 1~2MB, the other 5+MB). did photoshop add in more compression?

hayami.wai said:
is there any way for me to edit the raw image through photoshop n save directly to the raw file?

Practically speaking, no. Canon's software also doesn't save "edited" files to raw; what it does is save the raw conversion parameters, leaving the image information untouched. It is very likely that the manipulations that Photoshop performs cannot be specified by the limited set of parameters available in the raw file.

I am also wondering why one would want to save processed pictures in raw files in the first place, but maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.

also, i tried converting the raw image to jpg using canon viewer n photoshop cs. the file size i get is totally different at the same resolution. (one is 1~2MB, the other 5+MB). did photoshop add in more compression?

Different compression, different image to start with, different everything. Photoshop and Canon's compresison levels are not comparable, and both are different from the way the reference JPEG implementation specifies compression. Also, at a similar compression level, the actual file size will depend on how the image was processed.

Status
Not open for further replies.