Edinburgh, Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeocolin

May 2, 2003
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi,
I'll be going to Edinburgh, Scotland, enroute from London during this Spring. Any recommendations about where and what for photography and for tour? Its been amazing reading about Edinburgh city, with its Reformation and long history behind it, so I really like to soak in the life of the Scots. :D

yeocolin said:
Hi,
I'll be going to Edinburgh, Scotland, enroute from London during this Spring. Any recommendations about where and what for photography and for tour? Its been amazing reading about Edinburgh city, with its Reformation and long history behind it, so I really like to soak in the life of the Scots. :D

Probably you should catch a soccer match and hit the pubs after that. Should be enough to capture the life of the Scots.

Of course you must see the Edinburgh castle, also at the entrance there is a long stone road, I forgot the name, probably called the "Golden Mile" or something like that. Along this road, there are many interesting shops and maybe some horse carriage.
Actually more interesting things are outside Edinburgh, rent a car and drive to the north, many castles and lakes along the way.

While in Edinburgh, you should join a tour where you will be brought around and shown how whisky are made and get to taste it too. Scot Whisky, here I come!

The road leading up to the castle, its called the Royal Mile...
Along princess street (equal to our orchard road), there are quite afew mounement... During the weekend, you can see alot of buskers along that road... There is also a park beside princess street.. should have alot of flowers now...
If you like medival stuffs, you should make a trip to Stirling. There are many nice medival building there.... Make a trip to Wallace mounement... Up there, u can get a great view of the countryside...

Have fun in scotland... Love that place...

Go up Arthur's Seat, it's a nice hill and you get nice views of Edinburgh from the top. Since it's springtime now, it maybe carpetted with wild flowers. The Royal Mile is also good for a looksee, as well as Edinburgh castle. And I second the join a tour idea, there are several agencies along the Royal Mile. I took a one day tour, bought me to Glencoe, Loch Ness, etc, its very good. :D

Arthur's Seat is great, and I'll go with the suggestions on day trips out too. In fact, if u can drive, you'll have more flexibility too... The Scottish Highlands are really beautiful if you're into scenery/landscapes!
I've some pics here, though they're nothing spectacular (thats my skill, not the place at fault :) )
http://www.pbase.com/nuts/edinburgh

regards
..NuTs..

Well we have the famous Royal Mile to walk, Edinburgh Castle at one end, and Holyrood Palace at the other end.

Arthur's Seat is just in Holyrood Park, which is just beside Holyrood Palace. Very nice view from up there.

There's a whiskey heritage centre just beside Edinburgh Castle, which gives you a short introduction to how how whiskey is made (for a price). So depends on how tourist you wanna be.

Opposite in the New Town, the view from Calton's Hill is not bad as well.

Just be prepared for rain, rain, and more rain....not as heavy as what we have in Singapore though.

mookie said:
Well we have the famous Royal Mile to walk, Edinburgh Castle at one end, and Holyrood Palace at the other end.

Arthur's Seat is just in Holyrood Park, which is just beside Holyrood Palace. Very nice view from up there.

There's a whiskey heritage centre just beside Edinburgh Castle, which gives you a short introduction to how how whiskey is made (for a price). So depends on how tourist you wanna be.

Opposite in the New Town, the view from Calton's Hill is not bad as well.

Just be prepared for rain, rain, and more rain....not as heavy as what we have in Singapore though.
Mookie, you sound like you are from Edinburgh. I didn't expect Edinburgh to be raining non-stop. Looks like poncho or umbrella is inevitable.

Thank you everybody for your valuable suggestions. How's Glasgow? I was thinking of taking a train down to the city if I manage to cover most of Edinburgh during my stay there. I was told its not as attractive as Edinburgh.

nuts said:
Arthur's Seat is great, and I'll go with the suggestions on day trips out too. In fact, if u can drive, you'll have more flexibility too... The Scottish Highlands are really beautiful if you're into scenery/landscapes!
I've some pics here, though they're nothing spectacular (thats my skill, not the place at fault :) )
http://www.pbase.com/nuts/edinburgh

regards
..NuTs..
Hi Nuts. Thanks for the url to your website. Now I understand why it rains and rains. Its all dark clouds!! I was hoping that Edinburgh has clear skies so that I can take all my buildings with blue skies and take star trials in the night. Oh dear!! :cry:

Hi YeoColin,

Glasgow? I'm from those parts. Here's some nice spots.

Glasgow University: It's about 900 years old and got a picturesque central building. Inside there are cloisters where graduation ceremonies are held. You're certain to get some nice photos here. You can get scenic views of it in the park next to it.

Candleriggs: Olde Glasgow that's just been done up for the yuppies. Think old granaries, old town hall stone type buildings & paved roads.

The Museum of Modern Art: Apart from the arty stuff inside, there's the famous statue of the man riding a horse outside it. The drunks of Glasgow have been putting a traffic cone on its head since forever. Take it off and it'll go back up the next day.

George Square: The centre of Glasgow with the City Council building as the backdrop. Something like Trafalgar Square inc pigeons. Strathclyde uni is about 5 mins away and where the TV was invented by John Logie Baird.

The Royal Infirmary/ Glasgow Cathedrale: Next to each other, they're fine buildings.

Shopping streets: Sauchiehall (socky-hall) Street, Argyll Street, Buchanan Street.

A recommended day trip out would be... a drive to Loch Katrine where Glasgow's water comes from, Loch Lomond for it's scenery/ mountains, Inverary Castle..... For slightly longer, Isle of Skye is a moody place for landscapes.

Be careful, Glasgow on a Friday/ Saturday night can be a rough place (ie drunks) to be. And yes, it rains but when it's sunny it's gorgeous.

www.visitscotland.com

Enjoy,
David Ng

Nope I'm not from Edinburgh.. :bsmilie:

Went there for a short trip by myself and stayed there for a couple of days.

Brian if I'm not wrong every weekend the flea market at Barras is open?
Any interesting things there?

The Barras is a big open air market. i get the impression a lot of 'stuff that falls off lorries' are sold there. it has a carnival like atmosphere and a lot of people with the gift of the gab will try to sell anything.

ok for a visit... something like bangkok's chaku chak (sp?) market except it's colder and wetter...

BrianWilson said:
Hi YeoColin,

Glasgow University: It's about 900 years old and got a picturesque central building. Inside there are cloisters where graduation ceremonies are held. You're certain to get some nice photos here. You can get scenic views of it in the park next to it.

Candleriggs: Olde Glasgow that's just been done up for the yuppies. Think old granaries, old town hall stone type buildings & paved roads.

The Museum of Modern Art: Apart from the arty stuff inside, there's the famous statue of the man riding a horse outside it. The drunks of Glasgow have been putting a traffic cone on its head since forever. Take it off and it'll go back up the next day.

George Square: The centre of Glasgow with the City Council building as the backdrop. Something like Trafalgar Square inc pigeons. Strathclyde uni is about 5 mins away and where the TV was invented by John Logie Baird.

The Royal Infirmary/ Glasgow Cathedrale: Next to each other, they're fine buildings.

Shopping streets: Sauchiehall (socky-hall) Street, Argyll Street, Buchanan Street.

A recommended day trip out would be... a drive to Loch Katrine where Glasgow's water comes from, Loch Lomond for it's scenery/ mountains, Inverary Castle..... For slightly longer, Isle of Skye is a moody place for landscapes.

Be careful, Glasgow on a Friday/ Saturday night can be a rough place (ie drunks) to be. And yes, it rains but when it's sunny it's gorgeous.

www.visitscotland.com

Enjoy,
David Ng

wow...brings back memories from my Uni days man...heh...

Just thought I'll add my 2 cents worth. I tried going up Arthur's seat yesterday evening and wow, the winds in the evening, up the hills, are really strong. Now I know why some of the CS folks recommend carrying a solid tripod up there. Now, I'm just thankful I brought my bulky tripod up there. :D

BrianWilson said:
Hi YeoColin,

Glasgow University: It's about 900 years old and got a picturesque central building.

Hi, i thought the uni is about 550 years old. The current site was started some time in the 19th century i think. I might be wrong.

Edinburgh is nice and is the capital but Glasgow is not too bad as well. It's just 45 minutes train ride from Edinburgh and is much bigger. There're lotsa musuems and galleries and stuffs like that.

I was there around 7 years ago (gosh!) so the names of places have blurred in memory. Can try joining the bus tours (day trips from Edinburgh) at the tourist information centre for the not-so-accessible highlands, lochs, and castles, with a bit of history thrown in by the guide.

Would definitely recommend staying in a bed-and-breakfast. Warm hospitality and I still remember the big :burp: yummy :slurp: scottish breakfast to this day. :lovegrin:

Oops I forgot you are going from London. Anyway I am a big fan of English, Scottish, and Welsh breakfasts.

Can try Haggis too... ;p

yes, I tried haggis. However, its no longer easy to find the traditional haggis, which requires opening the sheep's stomach before getting access to the food. Regular haggis uses lamb instead of windpipe and other organs. Nonetheless, the updated version of haggis is really nice and I do enjoy it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.